Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Because it can happen to anyone and in the USA especially, it doesn't take too much to find yourself totally destitute (divorce or job loss can do it). Unlike in the UK/Europe where I am from, there isn't the same level of social housing in this country and it seems to be much harder to get help for those who genuinely need a hand up, rather than a long-term hand out. I truly feel for the poor and homeless here, I really do.

In my case, I am technically homeless, relying on the decency of my brother-in-law to at least give me a couch to sleep on until I get straight. Divorce and my ex-wife's bad/reckless decisions have put me here, even though I have a job. Living alone is expensive.

I am sorry to hear that.

I have a different set of circumstance but understand how divorce can do one in. I am a woman, and I never got anything but what was half mine out of the whole thing. I just wanted to be done with it. I hear of women being able to rip a guy off and don't get that, as the courts determine most is joint marital property, and a woman, or even a man, is capable of working and not a recipient of alimony.

I want to get out of a profession that is a revolving door. I now know that they hire those of us with experience and exploit us to train cheaper, non-benefited new grads. At first, no one would hire the new grads, then they started hiring the experienced, then the new mode has been to hire new grads nice and cheap and get the experienced people to part with everything they have learned over the years.

I feel so much more capable than to be exploited like that. I've always tried to be honest, do my fair share and MORE, and help the business look good.

I now feel like I want to do it alone. I have no idea of what business I could even go into, as my profession is just too expensive to even venture into.

I just know I have used up my reserve of putting up with unreasonable people and situations. I know this is about survival. Man, for thousands of years, survived by his wits, but now, the rules have changed. It isn't by one's wits. The chemistry major doesn't find a job, but someone who is a friend of a business owner does. By everything rationale, the chemistry major demonstrates higher functioning skills, an ability to get through hard coursework, and diligence. One can recognize what it would take to get through a science major like that.

But everything is about stroking and flattery and I just don't do that. I am not neurotypical in my thinking, and I am very direct. I don't get "body language" or "reading between the lines" when someone talks to me.

I am rather doomed in the workforce because of that. I am very analytical and into logic, but the workplace is not logical. "Why are there no pencils?" "Because we had an employee who stole them?" "One employee?"

You can write to me privately, perhaps we can put our brains together and come up with some solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment