Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM

343 posts, read 604,941 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lifestyle.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
**shrug** I'll make enough for my needs.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM

4,994 posts, read 2,726,349 times
Disturbing. The country is going downhill. Perhaps down to Third World status. But I got mine, so f*** everyone else. NOT.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,232,316 times
You have to wonder how much of this is due to underemployment with too many people constantly punching below their weight vs expectations. Degrees in "Gender studies" and "ethnic studies" aren't doing much to make someone a marketable employee, and meanwhile someone that is willing to learn a trade can certainly make far more than $12/hour which could be any variety of low-level retail/service jobs.

Because 26K in Santa Rosa CA- that to me says you're working retail or fast food...not a "real job". Meanwhile union painters, roofers, and drywallers are making over $40/hour in the Northern California region that includes Santa Rosa (at the journeyman level 2-4 year exp)

Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Disturbing. The country is going downhill. Perhaps down to Third World status. But I got mine, so f*** everyone else. NOT.
No. There is just little value in constant complaining on an internet forum. The Employment forum could be so much more. Instead, it's all pessimism. I won't join you in talk of a dystopian future. It's counterproductive to the topic of employment.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,089,294 times
The US job market isnt as great as it once was, but it isgetting better lately.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 AM

4,994 posts, read 2,726,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No. There is just little value in constant complaining on an internet forum. The Employment forum could be so much more. Instead, it's all pessimism. I won't join you in talk of a dystopian future. It's counterproductive to the topic of employment.
Huh? Perhaps this forum is so negative because it mirrors the employment reality. None of us know what will happen in the future, but the current trends aren't pretty. For employees that is. Value is what people make of it and wishing it away doesn't work.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:52 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
Ok Marie Antoinette

Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
Quote:
**shrug** I'll make enough for my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The reality is that GDP grew at a 3.5% pace in the third quarter. So there isn't a lack of economic value.

What's lacking is morality, evidenced by the fact that there is actually a number of people who claim that the abject, depraved self-centeredness that charlygal expressed has any legitimacy. Prior to the 1980s, our nation was on track to ascend economically in a moral manner, abiding "a rising tide lifts all ships," -- what was, at the time, a universally-recognized basic moral precept. What changed was our nation's moral fiber, with about half of Americans adopting the kind of egocentric, amoral attitudes epitomized by Ronald Reagan's policies.

And let's not lose sight of the fact that even Democrats had their own foray into amoral attitudes: Bill Clinton was the most successful POTUS in our lifetime - delivering the lowest unemployment rates in a generation, and the lowest unemployment rates combined with low interest rates in a lifetime - and all along delivering strong GDP growth. However, he did so to some extent by throwing a bone to those who advocate for amoral selfishness. While it is true that his doing so was as much a reflection of what was needed to keep the advocates of amoral selfishness from completely obstructing his efforts, there's no question that some Americans were harmed by even Clinton's gentler expression of amoral attitudes reminiscent of Reagan's.

What we are seeing now, though, is a complete abandonment of morality by the descendants of Reagan supporters, and a widespread adoption of egoism as the primary feature of their moral makeup. Combine that moral turpitude with political power, and you have the raw materials necessary to have comments like "The country is going downhill," despite the reality being 3.5% GDP growth. What is really going on is that we have a bifurcated economy, so any single measure of the economy is inadequate to characterize the whole. It is as if the someone built a dam between the most affluent in society on one side and the rest on the other side, and only a small trickle of economic value generated is being allowed to trickle out of the affluent side.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
The Economic Policy Institute maps this bifurcation explicitly. https://www.epi.org/nominal-wage-tracker/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment