Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM

220 posts, read 475,664 times

Advertisements

I just read Shawn Davis III's thread and wanted to take it in another direction.

I've managed blacks, Hispanics and whites mostly. I find people in general can be hard to manage but I find each group to have common traits or things that I've seen over and over as it relates to managing them.

Of the 3, 1 of the above is more difficult for me to manage than the other 2. I'm not going to mention which group but, they give me the hardest time.
Not saying the other groups have not been difficult but of the 3, 1 of them gives me complete and utter hell when it comes to managing them.

Are people of different ethnic groups more difficult to manage than others?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I just read Shawn Davis III's thread and wanted to take it in another direction.

I've managed blacks, Hispanics and whites mostly. I find people in general can be hard to manage but I find each group to have common traits or things that I've seen over and over as it relates to managing them.

Of the 3, 1 of the above is more difficult for me to manage than the other 2. I'm not going to mention which group but, they give me the hardest time.
Not saying the other groups have not been difficult but of the 3, 1 of them gives me complete and utter hell when it comes to managing them.

Are people of different ethnic groups more difficult to manage than others?
Probably the same group it's much harder for most teachers to manage as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I have found that some of the African men who work under my license have trouble being subordinate. Don't know if it's a racial thing or a gender thing, or both, and I like to think I treat all my co-workers with respect.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 601,927 times
My experience is that there isn't an ethnic group that is more difficult than another.

I have noticed a lot of difficulty in certain age groups, genders, and education levels. All of which span multiple ethnic groups.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
53 year old American born Chinese woman here... I have the most difficulty working with Hispanic nationals, especially the woman, but also sometimes their menfolk. With the women, and lately I've been working with Brazilians, they seem to be alpha females who feel the need to flirt with the men at work, as if to prove their desirability as a woman. And they don't like to be told what to do. They aren't good teamworkers at all. With some of the Hispanic men, I don't think that they consider women their equals in the workplace.

Maybe their is some friction because they see me as a competing minority. However, I just see myself as a plain American without a race or sex factor. BTW I have no desire to flirt with any of the guys I work with. I want them to see me as a fellow worker/buddy, not as a potential gf.

Or perhaps the friction is because my English is perfect and I am college educated.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
This thread is asking for trouble. it's only going to lead to negative stereotyping and racial insults

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
I find it's more gender. Men do not like working for women in many cases and feel justified in calling them *******.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I find it's more gender. Men do not like working for women in many cases and feel justified in calling them *******.
I prefer to be managed by woman instead of men. I never got along with male supervisors

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
That's interesting.

I'm glad to see there are some men not threatened by women in managerial roles.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
If guys are going to work in healthcare, and aren't licensed, they had better get used to women managers, charge nurses and supervisors. I feel like it's not the guys in general, guys who work in psychiatric do tend to be less gender-rigid, but the African guys do seem to get their backs up where the other guys don't. Of course, there are some obnoxious female supervisors, etc., but that's just what we're all stuck with.
I don't know if there are enough "groups" in anyone's work place to make an overall statement. Mine happens to be odd in having so many West African men without licenses working- I think it started by using an agency of only West Africans, and a lot of people came on board. Hard working, no problem with anybody, but I do think taking orders (no matter how appropriate) from women is an issue for some (SOME) of my co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment