Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 91,984 times

Advertisements

I've been going too long without deciding on a career. Im in my late twenties and have tried a number of different things but nothing seems to stick. The pressures on and I need something that pays well in the 2 - 4 year range. I'm looking at community college as a likely learning environment.

For starters:
My wife and I would love to live in the country. Currently in the city and don't mind it. But living rural and growing our own food sounds great.

Are there any folks here that make a good living in the country? What do you do? Got any tips for someone in their late twenties with a chance to get into whatever?

fwiw... things i've tried: waiter, automatic door tech, diesel tech(school, didnt finish), currently starting computers (but not enjoying it, even though im good at it)

interested in:
welding, horticulture, ranching, electrician, healthcare, heavy equipment operators, etc...

help is much appreciated. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
There is always work for electricians anywhere.

The best job is doing something you do in your spare time for fun or a hobby (if you can make money doing that).

Rural areas, depending on location, will have one or two specific large businesses. (Which could be anything.) So might search around the rural areas you would like to live in and see what work is available there.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,428 times
Pick a job that most people hate doing, and learn to enjoy it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

224 posts, read 546,238 times
There isn't a huge call for it, but in rural Texas I would see fairly regular advertisments for ranch hands. Someone to live in a small house ( or converted tack house ) on site, and be the handyman/fix it all/whatever.

Sounds like you do well as a Jack of all Trades

Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
It's no longer true that you can "get a job anywhere in healthcare," but it might still be accurate more than not.
A two-year degree from community college could be an RN, or other certifications.
People in rural areas that have jobs don't let go of them lightly, so there might not be such a flood of jobs in a rural area, especially a *very* rural area. It can be misleading if you live in a metropolitan area with a lot of healthcare facilities. That's not true elsewhere.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
Getting a job in a rural area is very difficult and if you lose it or get fired, getting a new one is not easy. You just don't have the demand of a bigger place, even for a store job.

I once lived in a rural area and I was looking for work and basically exhausted all my options with in a few years. There was not the industry or like I said, malls or supermarkets or anything you'd call a survival job.

The pay also tends to be lower because people will do anything for a buck and the employers know it.

There might only be one supermarket for 40 miles, one or two gas stations, or just a small town for all your needs.

Rural living is also rough if you work far from your home like a lot of rural people have to do. Weather in some states is bad and you need that money and have to drive to work in all conditions. There will not be public transportation to fall back on.

You might be able to get a job as a handyman or work at an apartment complex but in rural areas I doubt there is a big demand.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarston View Post
My wife and I would love to live in the country. Currently in the city and don't mind it. But living rural and growing our own food sounds great.

Are there any folks here that make a good living in the country? What do you do? Got any tips for someone in their late twenties with a chance to get into whatever?
My advice would be to stay within 45 minutes or so to a city. Plenty of small cities around where once you get that far out, its very rural

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Getting a job in a rural area is very difficult and if you lose it or get fired, getting a new one is not easy. You just don't have the demand of a bigger place, even for a store job.

I once lived in a rural area and I was looking for work and basically exhausted all my options with in a few years. There was not the industry or like I said, malls or supermarkets or anything you'd call a survival job.

The pay also tends to be lower because people will do anything for a buck and the employers know it.

There might only be one supermarket for 40 miles, one or two gas stations, or just a small town for all your needs.

Rural living is also rough if you work far from your home like a lot of rural people have to do. Weather in some states is bad and you need that money and have to drive to work in all conditions. There will not be public transportation to fall back on.

You might be able to get a job as a handyman or work at an apartment complex but in rural areas I doubt there is a big demand.
This.^^^^Since the OP mentioned healthcare, I would add that many hospitals in rural areas don't have specific departments(ie: radiation therapy, some don't even have labs). Nurses and respiratory therapists are having some trouble in the job department because too many people went into healthcare for the $$$. My cousin had to move to the city to find a job as a respiratory therapist.

I live in a rural area in Indiana currently and find it to be a horrible place for jobs. There is nothing here. Most are on government assistance due to lack of industry. Unfortunately, I am more than 45 minutes away from Indianapolis. With what few jobs there are, you are competing against people who are the town "good ole boys and girls." If you aren't the "pillars of the community" you won't get hired. Plus, with gas being so high, commuting is costly. Just something to think about.

I do see some adds for various skilled trades in a medium sized town about 25 miles from where I live. Some jobs in demand in some of the medium-sized towns where I live are CNC machinist, welder, hair stylist, and plumber. You might check out some medium-sized communities like towns with 50,000 or people. I wouldn't recommend rural living to anyone who wants a job.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
become an accountant

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 367,010 times
In my rural area the people who are able to fill a niche are doing well. The guy who fixes my car and also does towing is doing well, and here in the South, land of giant roaches, the pest control guy is pretty busy. Also, people who can repair tools and lawn mowers, especially riding mowers are doing well. There's also a discount grocery that opened and is the only supermarket in that particular town. Where ever you move, look around and see what's missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment