Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 182,920 times

Advertisements

This is a question to hardworking and dedicated American workers who have no choice but to drive to work. There are situations where carpools arent availible or public transportation doesnt drop you off with in resonable distance to the place of employment. I do realize that some people ride a motorcycle to work.

I am curious do some of you wonder if it is worth it to go to work when fuel prices eat up alot of hard earned paychecks and wages are stagment. I am refering to employees here that receive no benifiets at all even though they are deserved. Thanks for viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I live in Southern California where public transportation is not available everywhere. I pay $300 a month to commute to work (Honda Civic, about 25 MPG). I can't walk to work (23 miles one way), so I have no choice but to suck it up and pay $4.50 a gallon.

Unless you're making minimum wage or a very low wage, I'm not quite sure how you could reasonably ask, "is it worth it to go to work when fuel prices eat up alot of hard earned paychecks?"

Are you saying sitting at home with no job is preferable to commuting to an actual job?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
A story about one who works a second job to pay for getting to the first.
NEW Energy Trap Report | The Energy Trap

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
A bit of advice: Oil is getting more and more expensive to extract from the ground. All the easy spots have been found. To meet demand, they must dill in hard to reach places. Very deep water drilling for example and that can cost $1,000,000.00 a day to drill! Someone will have to pay for this.

Bottom line: Plan ahead. Expect high gasoline prices in the future. Try to live close to work. When buying a new (used) vehicle, consider the MPG.

Also the last time gasoline prices hit $5.00 a gallon, some employers added a bit of extra pay to the checks so people could get to work. If the situation is impossible, let your employer know. Maybe they can do something...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I live in Southern California where public transportation is not available everywhere. I pay $300 a month to commute to work (Honda Civic, about 25 MPG). I can't walk to work (23 miles one way), so I have no choice but to suck it up and pay $4.50 a gallon.

Unless you're making minimum wage or a very low wage, I'm not quite sure how you could reasonably ask, "is it worth it to go to work when fuel prices eat up alot of hard earned paychecks?"

Are you saying sitting at home with no job is preferable to commuting to an actual job?
I agree. A roof over your head, food, and transportation to work should be top priorities. If you make so little money and work so far away that it is an issue, you should look for a job closer to home.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
No affect on me... paying $42 at $3.50 a gallon or paying $48 at $4.00 a gallon or paying $54 at $4.50 a gallon or paying $60 at $5.00 a gallon isn't going to break my bank.

I drive 8 miles one way to work and a tank of gas lasts me 2 weeks easily.

I feel bad for the guys driving 60 miles one way...

Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Yes.
Also I have to take the train and the increases are killing me.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwond View Post
This is a question to hardworking and dedicated American workers who have no choice but to drive to work. There are situations where carpools arent availible or public transportation doesnt drop you off with in resonable distance to the place of employment. I do realize that some people ride a motorcycle to work.

I am curious do some of you wonder if it is worth it to go to work when fuel prices eat up alot of hard earned paychecks and wages are stagment. I am refering to employees here that receive no benifiets at all even though they are deserved. Thanks for viewing.
I have a 7 mile 10 minute commute so it does not bother me much. Now this time last year when I was doing 42 miles one way to work, different story.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Rising gas prices won't break the bank for me but it does **** me off to pay more at the pump every week to commute to a job I hate in crappy heavy traffic.

Part of the reason I'm about to jump ship at my current job is the commute + gas prices = total beating. The probable new gig is MUCH closer, and light rail is an option.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Thanks for the tip.

Instead of calling in sick, I'll say "Sorry boss, gas prices are too high. I can't afford to drive over here today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment