Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times

Advertisements

Let's not kid ourselves. Working for other people is pure Hell.

I absolutely hate having to rely on one person's opinion of me to determine my livelihood. At least if you are in business for yourself and you **** off a customer, there are others who will take his place. If you **** off your boss, your sole source of income is cut off and you could very easily end up homeless.

With that said, what business ideas do you have? I have considered starting a laser engraving business. A good machine costs several hundred dollars, but once you have it set up and going it seems like you could do alright. You could put an ad in the yellow pages and work out of your house. You could also set up a webpage for the business, but then again there are a gagillion other engraving businesses online you would have to compete with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
trying to make whiny, bi*chy people happy who want it for free isn't a walk in the park either.

An internet based business where you can automate interaction with the unwashed masses would be ideal.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
trying to make whiny, bi*chy people happy who want it for free isn't a walk in the park either.

An internet based business where you can automate interaction with the unwashed masses would be ideal.
True, people are a hassle to deal with. I've dealt with my share of obnoxious co-workers. I'm sure demanding customers would be even worse.

A good idea would be to set this up as hobby to play around with on weekends, see how much you can make, and if it really takes off make it your full time job.

Someone told me with regard to business ideas to run two horses at the same time and see which one comes out ahead. That way if it doesn't work out, you aren't screwed.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
I work in advertising and I can tell you it will take more than putting your name in the yellow pages. Noone looks in a phonebook anymore. I talk to a lot of business owners everyday. The one thing I`ve learned about owning a business, if you really want it to grow and be successful is this....advertise. You have to set aside and budget a certain amount of money for advertising. Now someone may post on here that they have a business and never advertise or they know someone and they never advertise, etc. But by and large for most companies, you have to spend money to make money. You have to let people out there know where you are, what you do, how you can help them,etc. Just hanging out a shingle and expecting people to be lined up out the door won`t work.

So I wouldn`t start a business without the means to advertise and get it off the ground. You will be doomed from the start unless you have unlimited resources and can wait years to be successful. I tell people there is a reason why Coke, Mcdonalds, and all the well known businesses spend hundreds of millions on advertising...it works. If it didn`t , they wouldn`t be doing it. They are well branded but yet, still spend a ton on advertising. So follow the lead of successful companies. My point is, starting, owning, and running your own successful profitable business isn`t as easy as it appears.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
There are no personality, drug, background or credit checks required for self employment! +1

Corporate America keeps finding ways to prevent good Americans from supporting themselves.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
There are no personality, drug, background or credit checks required for self employment! +1
You also don't have to rely on references from previous jobs, and you don't have to "click" with some stranger in order to get the job.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You also don't have to rely on references from previous jobs, and you don't have to "click" with some stranger in order to get the job.
You have to "click" with customers though, which is not a given.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Those who make it self emPloyed
Only start up folks that do well are high skill labor that got 10 years plus of stable employment
Trust me on this the guy that hates his current boss will go out the roof when he meets his new boss in the bathroom mirror monday

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I have no desire to start my own business. What are the chances it would be successful even in a good economy, let alone in the current one? Never getting to leave work, always thinking about it even at home or on vacation. No thanks.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

Corporate America keeps finding ways to prevent good Americans from supporting themselves.
You don't think you have to jump through hoops to get a business license, a business bank account, approval to run credit card transactions, etc.? Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment