Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times

Advertisements

I agree Op and I've figured out that in the same way everyone doesn't get to be prom king/queen everyone doesn't get to have a great job that they love. Some of us just have to make ends meet. I'm so thankful to have finally found an easier than usual nursing job that pays me well. I don't even care about finding the perfect career...for me I don't think it exists. The positives of my job are the autonomy, pay, and benefits. I also have good hours and I can count on one hand the times I have had to stay late. I read some posts from the employment forum and I thank my lucky stars to have the job that I have. I think I would be suicidal if I had to work on salary or work 10-12 hours a day for no extra pay.

Sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
I am retired now but I loved my work. I worked a lot of hours but was happy doing it because I enjoyed the work. I also got paid very well, $150,000-300,000.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM

254 posts, read 597,685 times
Liking the people you work with is important. It makes the day go by easier. I worked for a small company and it was awful. The boss was an ass, and he showed little respect. The work I didn't mind, but it was a lot of it, for a full time employee and I was part-time. The way they did the work was stupid though. It was suppose to be a paperless office, but since the boss didn't know the system, there were paper-files. The files had loose papers, and documents were missing. What's the point of keeping hard copy files if you can't find anything?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Working is still a privilege. And if your pay is decent and they aren't on your case all the time you should stay. If you enjoy the work as well, even better.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
I wouldnt say that I like going to work every day but I dont hate my job. I do, on the other hand, hate and I mean really really hate my boss. I'd like to just beat him unrecognizable. I work at a small environmental engineering firm. We all hate my bosses guts. When I first started, everyone would call him a kcid or a gnikcuf elohssa and I would just laugh it off. I now feel what they feel. He is a miserable micromanaging control freak.

On the other hand, being a Civil/Environmental Engineer is not really that bad in the grand scheme of things and the $60k/yr salary is ok. We always joke around the office saying "hey, at least we're not roofing houses".

Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 PM

339 posts, read 832,831 times
I like my job, I like working with people and my team leads and coworkers are all pretty nice. We have games and incentives and bonus for doing certain things, we get pizza if we hit certain quotas etc. No job is perfect but there are worse jobs a person can have so I pretty much like where I work. But all jobs require you to actually work so if you just hate working then you will hate any job you get. LOL! Since we all have to work, I'd rather be doing what I'm doing now than some other jobs, some jobs are worse than others. You just have to find something you like doing.

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 01-17-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Ever look into dangerous jobs? Six figure pay is there for many of them.

Many of the guys who do these jobs, it's not a job it's a passion. You don't despise your coworkers, you possess the utmost respect and trust for them. For many, those they work with just aren't coworkers, just aren't friends, but the best men at each other's weddings.

Dangerous jobs are everywhere, many unheard of, most just looking for a man with the spirit of adventure and nads to do it.

Call it stupid, or call it life.

massive climb up antenna station - YouTube
I could never and would never do that job! No way! That looked horribly scary just from the video. No way!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I could never and would never do that job! No way! That looked horribly scary just from the video. No way!
I was ok until he left the confines of the tower cage. After that I'd pee my pants I think. Unrelated to the thread topic but related to the video: have you seen that guy that free climbs Half Dome in Yosemite over 1000 feet? Free climbing means no ropes. Craaaaazy. Just Youtube Alex Honnold.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I was ok until he left the confines of the tower cage. After that I'd pee my pants I think. Unrelated to the thread topic but related to the video: have you seen that guy that free climbs Half Dome in Yosemite over 1000 feet? Free climbing means no ropes. Craaaaazy. Just Youtube Alex Honnold.

No I've never seen that one but I'll take a look at it, that does sound crazy!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 21,893 times
I'm still trying to signal the mother ship I'm pretty sure I got dropped of on this planet by. When they make another pass, I'm outta here! Meanwhile, I'm stuck looking for another job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment