Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Ive said it before, Ill say it again NEVER give anything more then the minimum required effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ive said it before, Ill say it again NEVER give anything more then the minimum required effort.
Giving the minimum guaranties you a spot at the minimum level. Giving 110% does not by any means require an organ donation or the proceeds from the sale of your first born.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
As much as it sucks, the boss has a right to do whatever she wants, including fire someone that just donated a kidney to them. You can't force morality on people.

However, there are social consequences for making such decisions, and based on this national news article that employer's business will most likely see a huge decline.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

I agree.

giving more does not mean you are going to get more, because you are not!!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 AM

758 posts, read 1,235,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
As much as it sucks, the boss has a right to do whatever she wants, including fire someone that just donated a kidney to them. You can't force morality on people.

However, there are social consequences for making such decisions, and based on this national news article that employer's business will most likely see a huge decline.
Exactly

Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
So one should be guaranteed a job for life, no matter how badly they perform at it, if they give the boss a kidney?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
In the days of the old Soviet Union, the folks that used to work on the collective farms used to run their tractors at high speed, "pretending" to plow the fields, and once they reached their quota for the day, they'd gather at the far ends of the fields, far from the bosses' prying eyes, and they'd get drunk on vodka all afternoon. Why? No incentive, of course. It didn't matter how hard you worked, or how industrious you were, you got paid the same crappy wage.

In today's 2012 America, in a great number of workplaces, it doesn't matter how hard you work, how much overtime you put in (if salaried), or how much of a great work ethic you have, you pretty much get paid the same, actually less if you account for inflation + zero raises for years on end. The key difference between modern-day USA and the 1980's Soviet Union is that most Americans have been indoctrinated in the idea of "the harder you work, the more rewards you reap."

Well, now this story comes out, of the ultimate betrayal of the boss against the hapless employee - imagine donating a critical part of your body (what a great metaphor for what so many people strive to do in the workplace), and then have your boss cast you aside like a piece of used tissue. Perhaps now, the great American workforce will realize that it doesn't pay to work hard or do your best, or go the extra mile, as you'll be treated just as well as the company slacker and malcontent. Maybe now, people will realize that working harder is a futile exercise, and that perhaps we should adopt the old Soviet worker's motto: "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work."

I can hope and pray that this will be the case, as the American worker have been forked over for far too long. It's high time that the bosses of this country get what's coming to them...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good gosh, I'd be hiring the sharpest lawyers in the land and go on a suing spree. Not only to get my job back plus tons of damages, I'd be suing to get my kidney back as well.

If I had my way, that cretin would be exiled to a fun place like northern Greenland, and even that wouldn't be punishment enough.
You're right, to be frank, some would just blow her brains out.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Just thinking this story would be a great ethics case. Subsequently, I found this opinion piece on the story.

Ethics Chess Lesson: The Tale of the Kidney and the Ungrateful Boss | Ethics Alarms

Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
Nice guys finish last. Not sure what the intentions of the employee was:

whether it was to suck up to the boss, an actual good intention, guarantee a spot at the company, etc.

Whatever it was it was stupid. Now, she is at risk since she is only working with 1 kidney and you can have complications in the future. Organs are only for immediate and extended family members!!! i am not an organ donor, FTW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment