Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

392 posts, read 704,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Totally redunkulous.

What I find especially appalling is the 6-month commitment. 'Cuse me, this isn't the Army we're talking about there - it's a silly, crappy part-time job!

If I saw an ad like that on CL, I'd be doing a Re: post stating how ridiculous that job ad really is. Heck, I'd probably flag that thing just to get it off of there...lol.
Email them. Pretend you're interested and everything they want, string them along and waste their time, then disappear. Real world trolling.

Or send a scathing reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
Actually this type of thing is getting real common I am seeing many 1099 contractor type jobs for low end work with bad pay for 10 to 20 hours a week. I am sure many of these are not legal under labor law. But then again they know the department of labor will do nothing about it. Thus they know they can get away with it. It is unreal the the checklists I see for jobs now. They want everything in the world for 8 to 10 bucks an hour. Most of the time part time. I mean who needs benefits.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
I live in the DC Metro Area and I would not be surprised to read an ad like this on the DC Craigslist. There is massive number of wealthy, politically influential one percent "earning" degree snobs out here. It gets to the point of being cartoonish.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
The worst thing about it is that five years ago this would have been a hilarious Onion article.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Email them. Pretend you're interested and everything they want, string them along and waste their time, then disappear. Real world trolling.

Or send a scathing reply.
If I knew where to look, believe me, I would. I like the "scathing reply" option the best - that's something I'm pretty good at...LOL.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If I knew where to look, believe me, I would. I like the "scathing reply" option the best - that's something I'm pretty good at...LOL.
email them, tell them everything they want to hear, set up an interview, and don't show up.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
I agree with the poster-- they are looking for a "type". Probably you will be going to people's homes and those people do not want what they perceive as the deadbeat from the bad part of town walking their dog and seeing what kind of goods they have in their home.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM

or fake your way into the job and hold the dogs for ransom.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Actually this type of thing is getting real common I am seeing many 1099 contractor type jobs for low end work with bad pay for 10 to 20 hours a week. I am sure many of these are not legal under labor law. But then again they know the department of labor will do nothing about it. Thus they know they can get away with it. It is unreal the the checklists I see for jobs now. They want everything in the world for 8 to 10 bucks an hour. Most of the time part time. I mean who needs benefits.
It's not the department of labor but the IRS that goes after 1099 fraud. The worker fills out form IRS ss-8 and fills out taxes with form 8919 as a w2 employee and when the IRS catches up with the company they are in for a world of hurt. The IRS has a list of 20 criteria that must be met for 1099 to be legal.

Unfortunately so many d-bag employers have tried it that they are delayed. I filed form ss-8 one year ago and have not received anything other than we are delayed due to high volume go ahead and refile as a W2. The IRS rules in over 90% of cases that the worker is an employee.

A worker is an employee if the worker:
1. Must comply with the employer’s instructions
2. Receives employer sponsored training
3. Provides services that are an integral part of the business
4. Renders services personally
5. Hires, supervises, and pays assistants for the employer
6. Has a continuing relationship with the employer
7. Must follow set hours of work
8. Works full time for the employer
9. Works on the employer’s premises
10. Performs tasks in an order of sequence set by the employer
11. Must submit oral or written reports
12. Is paid by hour, week, month
13. Is paid for business and/or travelling expenses
14. Is furnished with tools and materials
15. Does not have a significant investment in the service-providing facilities
16. Cannot realize a profit or loss
17. Works for only one employer at a time
18. Does not make services available to the general public
19. Can be fired, and
20. May quit without incurring liability to the employer.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
With all the talk about no jobs for college graduates this year...here's an ad on craigslist in my local area:

Interested in joining the Pampered Pooches team as a dog walking contractor?

All our dog walkers begin as back up walkers. Meaning you will be assigned jobs on an as needed basis at first. Once you get a few walks under your belt we will start to assign you regular dog walking jobs.

Here's what we look for in an independent contractor dog walking candidate:

- Ability to walk small and large dogs (up to 2 large dogs at once)
- 5-10 hours of work availability each week between the hours of 10am-3pm
- Reliable vehicle
- Commitment to a 6 month dog walking contract
- Have a college degree or be actively pursuing a college degree
- Be able to pass a criminal background check

If you'd like to be considered for our next available dog walking position go here:

Perhaps employers need to be more realistic about their needs in addition to young people not expecting what their parents have without working for it.
LOL, is this for real?

What, are these dog owners expecting the dog walkers to teach their dogs calculus or Shakespeare or have philosophical discussions about the nature of beauty and aesthetics or whatever, as they're walking along, taking a sunny stroll down the lane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment