Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
OK I"m going to post the same info AGAIN...THERE IS NO NURSING SHORTAGE...new grads are finding it very very difficult to get work.

While this is now over 2 years old it would only be worse as there are MORE new grads and fewer jobs
Are colleges oversupplying nurses? | MinnEcon | Minnesota Public Radio

This is one of many thread on a huge nursing forum about the difficulty of finding work
*UNEMPLOYED NURSES*

This one's sad but sooo true:

new grads and the nursing shortage - YouTube

To the OP...be very careful about getting into any field right now, stay away from for proffet schools. I'd talk with the locals about work possiblities. For instance if you go for a MT, Sonographer, PT, RT...or what ever...call the local hospital and ask to speak with the heads of the dept or at least a shift super, make an appointment and go met with them about their career and future job prospects, your not going to find acurate info at the school or on a forum.
So, what you're saying is that there's a nursing shortage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So, what you're saying is that there's a nursing shortage?
Try reading the first sentence of my post...and slowly ready the section in all caps.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Try reading the first sentence of my post...and slowly ready the section in all caps.

I was joking....

Anyways, my sister is a nurse, and she has plenty of opportunities but that's because she has 2-3 years expirence. New nurses are screwed and the over supply glut is exactly what companies want in all fields. They get the top talent for peanuts and have people begging to work for them. Again, I was just messing with you, because people don't get it no matter how many times you tell them.

Anyways, to the OP, I know nothing about getting into med school, but can't he try again or something? Or lower his standards to a different school? Is it really just one shot and that's it, you're done? Never give up.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I was joking....

Anyways, my sister is a nurse, and she has plenty of opportunities but that's because she has 2-3 years expirence. New nurses are screwed and the over supply glut is exactly what companies want in all fields. They get the top talent for peanuts and have people begging to work for them. Again, I was just messing with you, because people don't get it no matter how many times you tell them.

Anyways, to the OP, I know nothing about getting into med school, but can't he try again or something? Or lower his standards to a different school? Is it really just one shot and that's it, you're done? Never give up.
Sorry there have been so many times that people just aren't getting there is no nursing shortage. Last night was a grim reminder on my shift. Nurse were sent home even though they were needed...corp greed at it's finest even in the hospitals...the nurses and techs were so ovewhelmed last night and I felt so bad for them...I don't know how they do it night after night. The day shift had ended at 7pm and when I too my dinner break 2 nurses were still there "finnishing up". They are supposed to work 12 hour shifts but they are never 12's...they have to get there a 1/2 hour early to get report, then they can't leave until all their charting etc. is finished often those 12's in reality are 14's or 15's.

I knew nursing was in trouble back in the early 80's when we had efficiencey experts come on the floor and follow us around and determined we needed 2 and 1/2 nurses... tell me how to you have a 1/2 a person...Oh I know...you short change the staff.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry there have been so many times that people just aren't getting there is no nursing shortage. Last night was a grim reminder on my shift. Nurse were sent home even though they were needed...corp greed at it's finest even in the hospitals...the nurses and techs were so ovewhelmed last night and I felt so bad for them...I don't know how they do it night after night. The day shift had ended at 7pm and when I too my dinner break 2 nurses were still there "finnishing up". They are supposed to work 12 hour shifts but they are never 12's...they have to get there a 1/2 hour early to get report, then they can't leave until all their charting etc. is finished often those 12's in reality are 14's or 15's.
Yep. I feel sorry for my sister. The doctors and patients treat her like ****. She had 12 hour shifts at night on the general floor. HORRIBLY understaffed to the point where she feels it's rediculous and unsafe for the patients. She finally got to work with babies, and found a new hospital, but from everything I've heard the career sucks. Stress, decent pay, and horrible conditions---and basically impossible for all but the best to get into at entry level now. She wants to get into the teaching side.

Quote:
I knew nursing was in trouble back in the early 80's when we had efficiencey experts come on the floor and follow us around and determined we needed 2 and 1/2 nurses... tell me how to you have a 1/2 a person...Oh I know...you short change the staff.
I knew nursing was in trouble when it became THE thing to do. THE stable thing. THE career. When the herd latches onto something, you're already too late. It doesn't matter if it's gold, a stock, housing, or a career. Run the other way once it because THE route to take.

But really that's what all professions are headed to. I've worked in public accounting for a short time now, and you get piled in BS, and it only looks worse and worse the higher up the chain people are. Stress and more and more work piled on.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,500 times
Id try to make use of what he has done so far. Id suggest working part-time in a pharmacy as a tech/aide (counting pills), or even as a cashier first if you cant get anything else. Then retaking any coursework that you did poorly on, or studying more for the test if it can be improved. Also more effort should be put towards your game plan, like what schools to apply to, can you relocate, easiest schools to get into.

If your sure the pharmacy route is closed. Consider 2 year licensed careers such as physical therapist assistant, dental hygienist, radiology tech. Its important to see what are the job trends in your area. Check with local hospitals, job boards, craigslists to see if they are hiring at all. Any program you consider getting into, get detailed post graduate employment statistics, including how many graduates are employed fulltime in their field after graduation.

Consult your personal/professional network. By some degree of seperation you must know at least 1 or 2 people who work in medical or in a potential career you want. Network and really research things. You need to be careful, methodical, and persistant as hell to make things happen here.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
Discussed above:

"How about nursing? " male nurses are NOT in more demand (you would think). I know more than a few people that went back to school for nursing, even though there is a shortage so everyone says, there are not enough spaces in the nursing schools. And they do not care about your sex when you apply to them, only your grades. At this level of competition, you better be getting straight As when you apply.

What about physical therapy for your husband?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,277 times
My friend has a bachelors in nurse and found a full timer job in Dallas, Texas. She'll probably work there for a couple years gain experience and then move back to California where she is originally from.

Also try respiratory therapy. My friend is currently taking prerequisites to get into that program but your husband most likely has completed all the prerequisites already. Physical therapy pays well but it's a doctoral program.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsh0t View Post
Id try to make use of what he has done so far. Id suggest working part-time in a pharmacy as a tech/aide (counting pills), or even as a cashier first if you cant get anything else. Then retaking any coursework that you did poorly on, or studying more for the test if it can be improved. Also more effort should be put towards your game plan, like what schools to apply to, can you relocate, easiest schools to get into.

If your sure the pharmacy route is closed. Consider 2 year licensed careers such as physical therapist assistant, dental hygienist, radiology tech. Its important to see what are the job trends in your area. Check with local hospitals, job boards, craigslists to see if they are hiring at all. Any program you consider getting into, get detailed post graduate employment statistics, including how many graduates are employed fulltime in their field after graduation.

Consult your personal/professional network. By some degree of seperation you must know at least 1 or 2 people who work in medical or in a potential career you want. Network and really research things. You need to be careful, methodical, and persistant as hell to make things happen here.
I completely agree. Work experience means everything to employers anymore. There are pharmacists who can't find jobs, but I would imagine the ones who have worked as techs have a better chance.

I would say that there is no such thing as guaranteed employment anymore, which is why I suggest getting some work experience while going to school. I am sure if one really researched, they could find nurses, lab techs, respiratory therapists, or anyone else who has had employment issues. A relative of mine is a corrections officer and is worried about his job security.

I am not saying that one should not pursue their goals and dreams. I am saying that the days of sitting in school, not working, and expecting a good paying job after graduating are over. You need to supplement your degree with part-time jobs, internships, full-time jobs if possible, and volunteer experience. Otherwise, you can expect some trouble with employment regardless of what your degree is in.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Well back to see what others think of this situation. My husband went back to school for 2 years (he already has a B.A.) to do all science pre req's and applied to pharmacist school. He did not get in. We were thinking of a plan B as being clinical lab technologist (a bachelors level program). That would be almost 2 more years of school (all on loans!!!) My husband is 38. Although he has an bachelors already he has no solid career experience. He did most construction type work til that emploded (we are in FL). Anyhow, back to the point, we are now seriously questioning the clinical lab idea and feel back at square 1 after spending so much time thinking and choosing and planning and go back to college -we are hearing that field is just as saturated as all the other allied type health fields, including nursing, at least here in FL and hearing it elsewhere.

Question is, we are wondering how to research what the fields are left that still have jobs and possiblity? Esp at this age.......very scary to think of doing 2 more years of school on more dreaded student loan for nothing. Seems if one doesnt have a niche already built up, or isnt a doctor, CEO, or entrepreneur, what is there that could offer the kind of security a family needs and decent income? We are interested in researching industries or specific jobs all over the U.S. that are not saturated or that are specialized enough - have been heariing about odd ball type situations like someone mentioned merchant marines, someone else mentioned the pipe lines - work that maybe no one wants to do but will offer pay and stability.

Basically, so exhausting to be back at this point at this age and stage of the game. Want to research, not sure how to proceed, doesnt seem the BLS occupational outlook stuff is worth a crap - they make every industry seem like rainbows and gold. Any advice as to how you woudl proceed? My husband doesnt care WHAT he does, just needs to pay decent (we would be delighted with something in the 20s/hr, had high hopes with that pharm program) and he is also introvert type and that does rule out some thing.

thanks for any words for this weary family just seeking some middle of the road stability.................
I answered up thread but I can't stop thinking about this thread. It makes no sense to me that someone who doesn't really care what he does and only really wants to make $20/hr, would put in the time and effort to take all those pre req's and try to get a doctorate (3-4 more years); then when that doesn't work out, balk at other programs that would take 2 more years and loans. Someone who doesn't care what they do would go to a technical school or utilize the degree he already has. Makes no difference to me, I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment