Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM

14 posts, read 15,085 times

Advertisements

The boss that hired me for my current job left the company awhile back to take a job at another company. Not long after he left, he tried to gauge my interest for a job opening. I did not show much interest so he hired another employee from our group. This employee recently quit so the boss called and offered me the job on the spot. It was not a bad offer but I decided to decline it

A few days later, the person vacating the job (who I worked closely with before) contacted me and wanted to talk about the opportunity. A few days after that, a co-worker in my current group approached me about the opening and tried convincing me to take it. Apparently the guy vacating the job told him about the situation which I thought was unprofessional

I decided to tell my current supervisor about the offer so he doesn't hear about it from someone else. He seemed to already know and said to go ahead and take it if it's a better deal as he likely couldn't match due to budget constraints. He checked to see if he could give me a raise but was not able to. I told him I turned it down but he is thinking I will reconsider since the offer is still on the table

Now word has spread in the office and the situation has become a bit embarrassing. Any ideas on how to deal with the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Why is it embarrassing? You behaved professionally, your supervisor obviously has no problem with the situation but you're under no obligation to discuss it with anyone in the office. The fact that they know that you've been offered another job could be a little irritating since it's your personal business but, apart from that, just don't discuss it with anyone and it'll all fade away!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I don't understand why it is embarrassing either. If you turned it down, simply say that you were offered a job and turned it down. If you are still thinking about it, just say that you were offered a job and that it is not appropriate to discuss it at work.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM

244 posts, read 634,345 times
Not embarrassing. Relax a little. Your old boss really wants you to work for him again. That's a compliment.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
You could probably negotiate for a higher salary and/or more vacation and/or telecommute days with the new job offer.

Sounds like they really want you. If pay or vacation or location is holding you back from taking it, you can always go back to the prior mgr that made the offer and say "Could the salary be $xx and add 1 additional week of paid vacation?" . Or ask for X days working from home if commute is an issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't accept the job offer? I sure hope it's not out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to your current employer.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown2505 View Post
A few days later, the person vacating the job (who I worked closely with before) contacted me and wanted to talk about the opportunity. A few days after that, a co-worker in my current group approached me about the opening and tried convincing me to take it. Apparently the guy vacating the job told him about the situation which I thought was unprofessional
This isn't unprofessional; this is recruiting.

"Sally, remember our old boss Jim? Well, he desperately wants "Uptown" to work for him, because she's a great fit for his company. Since you are friends with her, do you mind talking to her about this opportunity?"

Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 15,085 times
Ok I may be overreacting, juss thought maybe I would be marked as "disloyal" for even thinking about the opportunity even though I was the one that was approachedI chose to stay because the slight salary increase wasn't enough to cover the risk since I'd be leaving a somewhat stable situation. I'd be going from having the most seniority to having the least. Also the current boss and co-workers are a decent group of guys. The other work environment and political situation at the other place is unknown and I wouldn't know unless I were to start working there.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown2505 View Post
Ok I may be overreacting, juss thought maybe I would be marked as "disloyal" for even thinking about the opportunity even though I was the one that was approachedI chose to stay because the slight salary increase wasn't enough to cover the risk since I'd be leaving a somewhat stable situation. I'd be going from having the most seniority to having the least. Also the current boss and co-workers are a decent group of guys. The other work environment and political situation at the other place is unknown and I wouldn't know unless I were to start working there.
While those are valid concerns, I wouldn't put too much weight on them. While staying in your current role may, in fact, be the best choice for you know, don't just get caught in the "security" of your current job.

1) "Going from having the most senority to the least" - so what? Does your specifc role have tangible perks for having the most senority? What about at the new place? There is nothing wrong with being the new guy.

2) "Current boss and co-workers are a decent group of guys" - Well this is good, but they also may be decent over there. You used to work for the other boss - is he not decent?

3) "The other work environment and political situation at the other place is unknown" - You know at least two people that worked there. You don't trust them enough to be honest about the situation there? Ask them.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM

984 posts, read 2,713,494 times
This is not about your specific situation but in general..

Being the person with the most seniority no longer affords the same security it might have in the past.
If leadership needs to cut costs and have to pick one person to let go they may look to the most expensive person to get the most out of the cost reduction. People with more seniority are often the most expensive on paper. In those type of decisions they often just look at numbers on paper and ignore the fact that the more expensive worker might be much more productive then the cheaper one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment