Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 PM

71 posts, read 255,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
What about library jobs?
No clue where you are, but where I'm located, they are hiring people with MLS degrees to work in library page positions. Libraries do not have many positions open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
OP I am/was in your situation. I have driven by many a time a recuriting station and hell have even walked in and talked to a recuriter, did not enlist but still... Yes I understand the desperation where it seems the only way is: Military or homelessness. Unforantley I have no magic bullet, all I can offer are humble suggestions.

Il shout out a few recomendations:

1) Look at more specialzed job boards than the general monster,careerbuilder. So if you wanted to work within publishing look at bookjobs.com as opposed to monster.com

2) Do you have the money and the willpower to go back to school to puruse a different profession. Healthcare is often the most popular and as most will say the greatest oversaturated. Unemployed nurses, resp therapist, rad techs etc... Still I am putting it out there

3) Get a minimum wage job and or volunteer position. Since white space is utter death on a resume, you need something to fill those gaps of unemployment. Addtionally references, refernces are everything get them from the minimum wage, the volunteer.

4) Career fairs, I am still questioning the usefulness of this for they seem more for show than anything but anyway.

Whatever you do, do not stop searching. Do not stop looking for work. We know by giving up that a job will defintely not come. We also know that applying again and again is no guarntee but at least by looking there is some chance, no matter how small and infintessimal it is.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamson View Post
This is my first time on this forum so please bare with me. I have been looking for work for at least two years going on three. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, other than the fact I don't have much experience but I do have the skills of an administrative assistant. I am currently doing commission work for my brother but its not helping at all.

Could someone please give me some kind of advice? This jobless situation is pulling me apart from my family and my final option is leaning towards the military but even I know that joining the military is not an easy decision to come across.
Well consider doing volunteer work as it would show potential employers you been doing something while unemployed.

Anyway I not sure with how long you are expected to stay in the military and life in the military is not so bad if you can get in. Since you spent nearly 3 years looking for work it could take that long or 4 years or even 2 years to spend in the military until you are allowed to leave the job.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM

well military is a big step, proably one of the biggest life changes one can have and remeber unlike a regular job you can't just "********** I quit".

As I have said, I too have considered miltary and there are some nights I still do but one really has to think of how life changing the military will be. I assume it comes at no suprise that the military has no trouble recuriting college grads.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
well military is a big step, proably one of the biggest life changes one can have and remeber unlike a regular job you can't just "********** I quit".

As I have said, I too have considered miltary and there are some nights I still do but one really has to think of how life changing the military will be. I assume it comes at no suprise that the military has no trouble recuriting college grads.
I have a friend who joined the army last year primarily because he couldn't find a job anywhere else.

You do what you have to do I guess. It's better than living in a homeless shelter or under a bridge. Also, the military can teach you skills that are applicable to the workplace. Many employers like ex-military as well.

Personally, I would go Navy or Coast Guard.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Not that much of a suprise really, if I recall the Army meet/exceded its recuriment goals for the first time in years.

Basically it comes down too, "I have a degree and or expereince but I can't find work what are my options?"

1) Continue endlessly looking for that entry level job, hoping that today will be different from all the rest
2) Find minimum wage work
3) Run out of money, homelesness, lower standard of living etc...

The desperation is out there and it is easy to see why military becomes a viable option for people who normally would never consider the military as a career choice.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Personally, I would go Navy or Coast Guard.
If you join the Navy, don't join in the winter.

Great Lakes, Illinois was a nightmare in January...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment