Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to hear how this issue is handled.

My general policy is that I do not copy someone's supervisor on an email unless it is an issue that the supervisor needs to be involved in (meaning, there has prior conversation about the topic and everyone involved needs to stay in the loop). I prefer to just address things with the various people involved, and if there is any type of problem after that, then I can bring a supervisor in. And even then, I would generally have a conversation first rather than use email.

I have a co-worker who has copied my supervisor on emails on several occasions now when she has been confused about something. It surprises me because I have a lot of communication with this person and am always very responsive to any concerns they have.

What I find a bit ironic is that this person has made mistakes on details on more than one occasion and it has never once occurred to me to copy her supervisor when this happens. My approach is to call her and work it out on the phone. I feel like it brings a different dynamic into the situation when a supervisor is copied on email. To me, it implies a lack of trust and a need to rely on authority to make something happen.

Anyway, just curious how others handle the issue of copying others on emails at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
It probably annoys your supervisor more than it does you.

I don't copy a supervisor unless I have made repeated attempts to get an issue resolved and it hasn't worked.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I dont copy anyone, it is more of a nusiance to have a billion useless e mails.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
The classic scathing email (or something like that). This happens to me on a daily basis (since people rely on me for various tasks and they think that doing so will make me respond to them quicker).

Honestly I think it reflects more on the individual doing it than it does on you, and not in a good way. One gal I had an issue with who repeatedly CC'd my boss' boss was told point blank to stop by my chain of command and theirs. The way I handle it is to simply not respond and talk to the individual in person.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Good replies....keep them coming!! For some reason, I do find this subject interesting. My own personal opinion is that it makes someone look weak/insecure/like a suck-up if they regularly copy supervisors for no reason. It makes them look like they need back up to get people to respond to their requests.

My company merged into a bigger one a while ago, and I notice this practice of copying supervisors is much more prevalent at this new place, so its been a bit of a shock to me.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
I like a good old fashioned blind CC myself.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I almost always copy my supervisor (Principal) when I email various teachers about projects/programs. Two reasons: he has a tendency to be a micro-manager about some things but mostly because then there can be no doubt notifications were made when the inevitable "But he never told me" comes out of some of their mouths.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,734 times
I have never had this issue at work. But, if I were in your situation I would just casually ask her why she copies my supervisor on every email. Depending on what her reasons are would determine what I would do next. Also, since she is involving the supervisor I would make sure that the emails show the entire chain of replies so the supervisor can clearly see that I am helping her fix her mistakes and not the other way around.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I have never had this issue at work. But, if I were in your situation I would just casually ask her why she copies my supervisor on every email. Depending on what her reasons are would determine what I would do next. Also, since she is involving the supervisor I would make sure that the emails show the entire chain of replies so the supervisor can clearly see that I am helping her fix her mistakes and not the other way around.
This is actually my plan. I am going to ask her why she does it. I feel she and I have enough of a relationship at this point (over a year working together) that I can bring something like this up with her. What I would really like to do is ask her if I should be copying HER supervisor whenever there is some sort of problem with the tasks that she is supposed to do for me. But that would be petty, wouldn't it?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
The classic scathing email (or something like that). This happens to me on a daily basis (since people rely on me for various tasks and they think that doing so will make me respond to them quicker).

Honestly I think it reflects more on the individual doing it than it does on you, and not in a good way. One gal I had an issue with who repeatedly CC'd my boss' boss was told point blank to stop by my chain of command and theirs. The way I handle it is to simply not respond and talk to the individual in person.
You're right that it is more of a reflection on the person who is doing this.

But I disagree about the part where you go over and talk to them in person and don't email them back. When you're dealing with people like this you need a paper trail.

Your way the other person could say that you never got back to them and deny that you talked to them in person, especially if something goes wrong.

You must have documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment