Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

A friend told me to apply at the high school as an office temp to get my "foot in the door". When I submitted my application, they noticed I'd had a lot of food service experience in my checkered work history. They had me go to interview with the cafeteria supervisor right away. She had an immediate opening for a cafeteria rotation worker (covering serving line, ala carte stations, and dish room). I had to pass my clearances first, then I started two weeks later. I worked at this position for a year, and then the position of assistant cook came open, and I applied to train for it. I've had this job since November. The pay is good, the hours are 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., I never have to work weekends or holidays (I do work an occasional evening for extracurricular banquets), I get Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter vacations off, and I'm off for the whole summer - only three weeks left!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I did the same over 7 years ago. Got called for an interview and received an offer right away. My job before that lasted over 7 years and i got it by dropping a resume in person. Got an interview the next day and an offer a day later. I have had just 2 jobs in the last 14 years, With advancements in both places. I sometimes wonder if this was too long..
You have no idea how fortunate you are. It is not too long. It looks great on a resume. You're all set.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Keep your head up Randomdude and think POSITIVE!!!
I know exactly how he feels. I have the equivalent of a PHD for investments and can't find a decent job to save my life. All that work just down the drain. Its incredibly sad.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I am too. I'm making about 30% more now than I was prior to my first layoff in November 2009. I was unemployed till September 2010, worked till January 2011 and was laid off again.

After my 2nd layoff and another 4 months in an area with over 10% unemployment (Savannah, GA) I decided to go nationwide with my job search on May 1st, 2011. I did a google search for "waterjet jobs" which is what my most recent experience and tech training was for... I've been working manufacturing related jobs for 18 years running both manual and CNC machines and have always enjoyed the work.

The google search showed a job out here in the Seattle area. I emailed them my resume, got a call back in TWENTY MINUTES from a temp agency called Aerotek and they said "You do realize this job is in Washington state?" I said "Yes, I am willing to move anywhere to get off unemployment."

They sent my resume to the client and I was emailed paperwork to fill out and sent to a local doctor for a drug test. I had a phone interview a few days later and was offered a job the following week pending my background check. What's funny is they told me my background was going to take a couple weeks but the sooner I got to WA the sooner I could start. I was NOT paid relocation. I rolled the dice but I had to... with 3-4 months left of unemployment I wasn't going to wait around for it to end. I knew my background was fine so I went ahead and left on May 17th. I was in Montana on May 21st when I got a call "your background check is fine, you can go ahead and leave for WA." Ummmm.... ok! I arrived the next day, May 22nd, 2011 and got settled. I started work Friday May 27th. I was hired on permanent by the client on October 17th.

It's been nearly a year now and things couldn't be better. I'm working for one of Boeing's top suppliers making aluminum and titanium aircraft parts. The money is very good, I get lots of overtime as well as monthly bonuses, profit sharing, 3 weeks vacation, a week of sick time, 401k and health/dental insurance.

It sure beats an unemployment check! Not only that, Washington is a gorgeous state with summers to die for... no more hot humid southern summers! I couldn't be happier!
Thanks for sharing. That really gives me some hope. I'm looking nationwide, but there are hundreds of thousands of people with just as good of qualifications as I have. My unemployment runs out in about 4 weeks. I'm pretty much screwed. Doesn't matter that I have a CFA designation, a degree in Finance, and 20 years of experience. And yes, I would move to Washington in a heartbeat. I hate Atlanta and need a change.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thanks for sharing. That really gives me some hope. I'm looking nationwide, but there are hundreds of thousands of people with just as good of qualifications as I have. My unemployment runs out in about 4 weeks. I'm pretty much screwed. Doesn't matter that I have a CFA designation, a degree in Finance, and 20 years of experience. And yes, I would move to Washington in a heartbeat. I hate Atlanta and need a chang.
I got pretty lucky mainly because my profession is one of skilled labor and is in demand in this area due to the fact that Boeing is everywhere.

Seattle is a pretty solid economic area with Boeing... Amazon... and Microsoft among others. It's definitely an area to consider in your nationwide search.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
I sucked a very powerful penis.
An acquired skill. Good for you. Instead of spending thousands on a degree, just go practice sucking a golf ball out of a garden hose.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,085 times
What can I say Red...it was the more economical choice..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
I got my job (which I've held for 26 years) through persistance.

After a face-to-face interview with the plant manager - given that the plant was still under construction - I was told to return in three months at which time I'd be hired.

A month later, I called and asked to speak to the manager. The receptionist informed me that "he no longer worked there!" She further stated that his replacement had not yet been hired.

For weeks, I called Monday thru Friday until the new manager was hired. When I finally spoke with the new manager, I informed him how I'd been previously guaranteed a job. He said he had no record of such guarantee and would therefore have to re-interview me. So I re-interviewed. . .and got the job.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Do you all feel as though you were hired basically because of your skills or because you know/knew someone? Was it a combination of these things?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Do you all feel as though you were hired basically because of your skills or because you know/knew someone? Was it a combination of these things?
For me it was a combination of both. In my field one has very little chance of getting hired without an internal recommendation. I was working for a company that supported the airline I wanted to get hired on with. I spent most of a year going above and beyond the call of duty making sure that account was taken care of. Even then I came very close to missing out on the internal recommendation. The day after he submitted my application to the company, a buddy of his from his military days stopped by. He was also looking for a recommendation. Had his buddy been a couple days ealier he would have gotten the recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment