Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,264 times

Advertisements

I work with 7 coworkers. And then there is my boss and his office is on another floor.

I'm a receptionist for Mental Health case managers. when I first started this position one of the case managers befriended me immediately. I'm a very quiet person. I can sit a my desk all day and not say a word to anyone. But when in the mood or with the right person I could be a chatterbox. Anyways this person ended up smothering me. Red flag # 1 for me. She would start personal conversations the minute I walked through the door. This is kinda overwhelming for me since I'm very to myself esp around people I don't know. Then realized that she was trying to be my boss and keep track of my everything. red flag #2. i have two supervisors and she wasn't it. Then I started getting comments from the other case managers that she was complaining that she didn't know where I was at and making issues over very petty things. red flag #3. So because I was usually at my desk my coworkers would call me into the other room where they were chatting so that I could join them. So listening to the convos I realized that this smothering wanna be boss is inconsistant with her storytelling. red flag #4. Too many things that doesn't add up. This last flag is a big turn off for me. So I made a conscience effort to stay away from this person because of all these flags and as she had a history having problems with the past receptionist. I haven't not said anyting negative. I simply do not engage in conversation with her because I feel like it is too much work to try and figure out if what she is saying is the truth or if she is going to use it against me or whatever...i simply do not trust her. She has made this into a very big issue and is trying to make it into I'm picking on her. I don't know how a 25 year old can pick on a 40 something year old but okay. anyways my boyfriend keeps saying to talk to her as to not create tension. but I don't think that by not speaking to her i'm creating tension. As long as my responsibilities aren't suffering (which they aren't) I don't see the problem. Would you have a problem if someone didn't want to speak to you??

Last edited by mir_ny; 03-17-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM

145 posts, read 301,672 times
In your case less is more,Sorry to say but if I was in your place I would talk to her. There is only 7 of you all working together so I am guessing the other people you work with know how she is and just laughs her off. I agree it would seem that not talking to her would be a good way of getting her to leave you alone but actually you are giving her something to talk about .I would keep it short and simple (how are you?)(glad to hear it) and walk away.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarris View Post
In your case less is more,Sorry to say but if I was in your place I would talk to her. There is only 7 of you all working together so I am guessing the other people you work with know how she is and just laughs her off. I agree it would seem that not talking to her would be a good way of getting her to leave you alone but actually you are giving her something to talk about .I would keep it short and simple (how are you?)(glad to hear it) and walk away.

I agree with the cfarris....and I am sure that we all understand your dilemma! But unfortunately, as recetionist you have to talk to everyone. Everyone depends on you. But yeah, keep it simple hello, nice day and good evening. However, often people like her/him...i am guessing... will ask many rhetorical questions all day. In those situations, it is better to let her answer her own questions. Many innocent questions, can be mine fields, once two people are in a silent struggle.
Since this is becomming such a big problem, it is better to keep a conversation, including with your friendly co-workers solely about work, and keep it simple.

good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarris View Post

I've tried short and simple but it always leads to personal conversations that I have no interest in or then I find out that she did or said something to try to put me in a negative light. It's a no win situation. so out of the choices I rather not say anything. don't get me wrong. I do my job. If there is anything she needs to know i tell her. But on personal matters i keep to myself. but that is the problem for her.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
I've tried short and simple but it always leads to personal conversations that I have no interest in or then I find out that she did or said something to try to put me in a negative light. It's a no win situation. so out of the choices I rather not say anything. don't get me wrong. I do my job. If there is anything she needs to know i tell her. But on personal matters i keep to myself. but that is the problem for her.

well good luck!!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
F**k it, the way I see it, in this economy, you're lucky to have a job at all! If you have a co-worker that doesn't like you, don't talk to them and buy an iPod and a pear of headphones to drown them out.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
F**k it, the way I see it, in this economy, you're lucky to have a job at all! If you have a co-worker that doesn't like you, don't talk to them and buy an iPod and a pear of headphones to drown them out.
She is already doing that!

However, when you ignore other staff members, you can be seen as a trouble maker... it realy depends on your status at work and as a former receptionist...that 40 year old case worker can make your silence appear like you are not a team player. It is easier to replace the receptionist than the case worker.

So, although personally i prefer the silence, no friendly words and no non-work discussions, sometimes you have to kiss butt! unfortunately!!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
I'm a receptionist for Mental Health case managers.
I'm sorry for your situation, but couldn't help to notice the industry you're in. One would think that you wouldn't have to deal with such "nutty" issues.

That aside, speak to your immediate supervisors - you mentioned you have two. They have a vested interest in your success as it is less expensive to keep you versus going through another hiring/training process with someone else.

Document the date/time, etc. of everything you think may come up later. If you are terminated for some reason, you will have documentation to back up your claim for unemployment - if it ever comes to that. Sounds like a hostile work environment.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 AM

121 posts, read 518,055 times
There are people like this in many work environments. There really is no way of negotiating with them it becomes a lose lose situation. These people do not do well with maintaining appropriate boundaries. If you are able to maintain a business relationship and hold workplace boundaries you have some chance. Small talk, short pleasantries, focus on business, when she pushes for personal info, go into the common phrases, then you say that you have work to do, etc. The strategy is that eventually she will tire of you and move on to someone else.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
in extraordinary times like these, it calls for extraordinary measure, i suggest invite her to a lunch/dinner, make it known to her if she makes life hard for you, you will reciprocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment