Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

I think we need somewhere to just vent about annoying coworkers. If there's already a thread for this, then I apologize.

Every office has the world-weary know-it-all in his early 40s who starts every sentence with a heaving, fatigued sigh and who has seen it all. Any anecdote you have, he can 'beat' it. Annoying. I've also noticed this particular office stereotype also is usually a bachelor or divorced from a 'psycho' ex-wife.

In the last 3 offices I've worked in, I've noticed that my Indian (south Asian) coworkers spend a lot of time on their mobile phones on personal calls. They step into the bathroom, breakroom, or elevator lobby to talk in English but they will happily natter away at their desk in whatever Indian language(s) they speak. Just because you're not speaking English doesn't mean we can't HEAR you.

And for the record...talking on the phone while you're using the toilet is gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think we need somewhere to just vent about annoying coworkers. If there's already a thread for this, then I apologize.

Every office has the world-weary know-it-all in his early 40s who starts every sentence with a heaving, fatigued sigh and who has seen it all. Any anecdote you have, he can 'beat' it. Annoying. I've also noticed this particular office stereotype also is usually a bachelor or divorced from a 'psycho' ex-wife.

In the last 3 offices I've worked in, I've noticed that my Indian (south Asian) coworkers spend a lot of time on their mobile phones on personal calls. They step into the bathroom, breakroom, or elevator lobby to talk in English but they will happily natter away at their desk in whatever Indian language(s) they speak. Just because you're not speaking English doesn't mean we can't HEAR you.

And for the record...talking on the phone while you're using the toilet is gross.
I hear you. It's only that annoying becasue we have to deal with it every day.
People are grossly self-absorbed. The phone thing is bad in every office. My boss sits very close to me and yammers on to her relatives all day. And the vendors I talk with hear her. Very unprofessional-but she's the boss.
And don't get me started on phone-talking on the toilet. Very declasse'.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,395 times
Agree. Looks like others' experience with newly arrived co-workers from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh is similar to mine. Their anecdotal 'skills' that make US employers hire/invest in them are grossly overestimated. Cultural specifics, like being overly nosy, eating smelly food, having a lot of facial hair and sometimes questionable hygiene could be annoying for the Westerner but these are the least things that bother me. It is their work ethics that I find difficult to accept. Indian employees spend hours at work just socializing, or doing nothing unless they are told what to do. I have worked with people from India and Pakistan (and I am talking advance degree holders, including MDs!) who would not do anything but fake being busy 8 hours a day and spend most of the time on personal phone calls and e-mails. I have also seen them repeatedly abuse company resources, avoid tasks that they find unpleasant, and what I find most worrisome of all - fake knowledge and understanding! When you explain something to them, instead of asking questions they say yes, yes, then go ahead and do major screw ups because they have not understood what was required. Apparently they are exceptionally good in misleading American employers, and of course most of the time they get jobs simply because somebody from their own ethnicity has been involved in the hiring process. There is this overexposed notion of solidarity for 'helping my people' regardless of whether they are right for the job or not. And yes, they complain about every single thing, especially women.
In my humble opinion this is a very dangerous trend in a long run since Indian and generally Asian immigrants are the fastest growing white-collar minority in the US.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Indians talk a lot on phone. There are 919 million cellphone users in India. They carry the same habit of using phone day and night after coming to USA.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:

Every office has the world-weary know-it-all in his early 40s who starts every sentence with a heaving, fatigued sigh and who has seen it all. Any anecdote you have, he can 'beat' it. Annoying. I've also noticed this particular office stereotype also is usually a bachelor or divorced from a 'psycho' ex-wife..
At the place I work now, there is a guy in his 50s who is always negative and talks about "the divorce" all the time. He doesn't call his ex-wife a psycho, but he claims the divorce is why he is always depressed and unhappy. Like I really want to hear about his personal problems.

I've dealt with all sorts of irritating personalities and I've learned to just ignore many of my co-workers. I have the mindset that I am only there for a paycheck, I do my job well, and if the other people don't like me that is their problem.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,922 times
Quote:

I completely agree. We need a place to vent before we commit some crime like assault and battery. Lol! I am all too familiar with the “know it all, the interrupter, the buttinskly, etc…” and what’s worse is that it all stems from ONE person. We are an office of about 10 people and she annoys the crap out of me. I can go on and on….walking in a half our late, and trying to jump into conversations I’m having with other co workers, then acting like “been there done that”. She also ALWAYS looks at my facebook which I find creepy….I’m having one of those moments this morning where I wanna sock her! And she isn’t the prettiest thing to look at either! Her tooth to gum ratio is off, don’t get me started on the cute face and body she THINKS she has! My friend and I call her “Miss Glory Days” because she lives in that era!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
I completely agree. We need a place to vent before we commit some crime like assault and battery.
Haha! So true!

I have several co-workers who won't say hello back. They will literally ignore you like you don't exist.

Another co-worker would ignore me when I'd come up to her cube to ask a work related question. She'd give me the catty up & down look as we passed in the hallway. I decided to kill her with kindness. One day she randomly opened up to me about her life problems and apologized for ignoring me. This silently infuriated me even more - her acknowledgement of horrible, nasty, socially inept behavior. Of course I just smiled through it to prevent any office drama, but I hate her.

I have another co-worker who just grosses me out. She repeatedly sniffed her snot and blew a burp in my face in a meeting after slurping down her soda. She drags her feet as she walks through the office like slog too.

I've never worked around such nasty people in my career. Yes, I'm looking for a new job!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
Complaining about coworkers is one thing -- racial stereotyping is another. One of my pet peeves at work is a lot of personal loud conversation too, but they're all made by white people!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
from people talking loudly on their phones to kids or even adults turning up the volume on their games or shows because they think others care or are interested in what they are watching, to people posting when they go to get groceries on facebook, everybody wants to be seen and heard. Yes it's an annoying trait and you'd think by now people would realize that others really don't care all that much about their personal lives...it must be built into our genetic code to try to be attention seekers and try to brag about our great personal lives in these manners...

Either that or they are just very self important and don't take into consideration others at all when they are texting during a movie in a theater, or something like that. Same difference. Middle aged women are especially bad at this behavior, you know, the soccer moms who don't know how to drive, and when confronted about it they won't own up to it and admit it, they'll get all huffy, mad, and deny everything.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Worst co-worker I ever worked with was a very pretentious and hipster guy in his late 20s who thought he was hot ****. He was a designer too, making it only the worse... The worst part about this guy was that he was such a baby about everything, especially any feedback to his work. It was impossible to critique his work unless your comments were overflowering praise, which in the case of his work, it was ****ty so good words to find were not easy to find. Anyway, pretty much mention any improvements you think his design would need and he would throw a fit. Say stuff like "I respectfully disagree with your opinions on my work, my work is as designed and perfect" or "I think you are very unprofessional to slander my work", or "You have no position to judge my work since you're work is no where as good as mine". He even would report people to upper management saying they were talking badly of his work and making a big scene out of it. I so wanted him to get fired, and pretty much the entire office couldn't stand him, but he never did get fired surprisingly. I decided to take another position and thank god. An oh, he was hardcore vegan and would eat these horribly smelly vegan sushi rolls in is office that would make his room and the hallways smell RANCID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment