Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 76,596 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I have been working for a hospital as a assistant for a director for roughly a year now. It was fine for the first 4-5 months and I really enjoyed my job, I did my job so well that i got a promotion to administrative assistant. So now I was under two people and that's when the problems began.

I noticed that the environment is very tense and very unorganized. Two months in I was getting blamed for situations that had nothing to do with me. But I just bit my tongue and thought to myself " I guess this is what people mean by paying your dues ."

For example i was getting repremended for not finishing tasks on time, lack of communication and being forgetful. Which was all false, since the director said it's un true but the manager said that it is. But the director didn't want to stand up for me since she was leaving her position.

When my director left and I was left with the manager, that's when the situation went from bad to worse. Since she's the only person in charge.

Everyday I woke up with anxiety knowing something is going to be said to me or I would be accused of something. And I tried talking to my manager but it was a dead end road and made things worse.

Today was my birthday and everything was fine all day, until the end of the day I got accused of something else. Because my manager forgot to do something so she blamed me to save her butt. I got fed up and gave my two weeks notice

This past month I got a opportunity to relocate to port st. Lucie in florida and I am going, but was going to give my two week notice sometime in mid June.
I just couldn't stand the mental abuse anymore, and told my manager that June 6th is my last day.

I'm sure some will say that I should've stuck it out. But working in such a stressful environment everyday for a few months would get to anyone.

I am sorry if im rambling or posted in a wrong section. But I just needed to vent and would love to hear what you guys/gals would say.

I just turned 28, I have a masters degree and experienced in healthcare. This was my first job after graduating and my manager knows that I can do much better. She even said so to me plenty of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
Consider your new job a birthday gift. I'd done the same thing if I was you!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Most jobs that pay decent tend to include a bit of stress. Hence, the higher pay. Healthcare is no picnic, especially these days. Don't know what to tell ya other than I hope you find something better. Maybe find a way to handle the volume of stress and B.S. that inevitably comes with most jobs. I tend to workout when the stress runs a bit high. Helps me come to work with a clear head. Avoid booze and get plenty of sleep. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM

I know how to deal with stress quite well actually, but this was more of a attack on me. I dealt with it for months and tried my best to work around it and do the best job that I can. Never gave any attitude, always came on time and only took two days off since I started. I always wanted to help out beyond my Jon description.

My manager can't deal with pressure and is very fragile to criticizim from her peers. And she takes out her frustrations out on me, today was the final straw.

Believe me I wasn't getting paid much, I cant even afford to mOve out on my own with what I was getting paid. That's why I'm going to Florida because I got free housing there. And I was going to resign regardless but today made that decision a bit sooner.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Ok, but you will run into these people everywhere. Are you going to leave every job because there are people you don't mesh well with? A lot of other people are complaining about the same problem regarding income. Jobs aren't paying much for many. Companies are trying to reel in spending, manage budgets, and this is now leaving higher income workers exposed. The wages for the ground workers have been decimated, and now it's upper level incomes that have the big fat target sign on them next.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ok, but you will run into these people everywhere. Are you going to leave every job because there are people you don't mesh well with? A lot of other people are complaining about the same problem regarding income. Jobs aren't paying much for many. Companies are trying to reel in spending, manage budgets, and this is now leaving higher income workers exposed. The wages for the ground workers have been decimated, and now it's upper level incomes that have the big fat target sign on them next.
I completely agree with you but this wasn't just leaving work because the situation got tough. There is a difference between a stern manager and someone who picks on you everyday for something that you haven't done.

I'm relocating to a different state and this was a long time coming. But today's event made everything happen sooner than expected.

I took this as a life lesson

Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian84 View Post
I completely agree with you but this wasn't just leaving work because the situation got tough. There is a difference between a stern manager and someone who picks on you everyday for something that you haven't done.

I'm relocating to a different state and this was a long time coming. But today's event made everything happen sooner than expected.

I took this as a life lesson
You never know, it could be for the best. Nothing wrong with taking a chance. If you stayed with a job you didn't much care for, you would always have that "what if" in the back of your mind. Do it while you're still young and can take a chance.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Good for you. I probably wouldn't have lasted that long. I'm a very sensitive person and I let little things bother me, so those kinds of things sure as hell will anger me more. But I would've stuck up for myself because I don't accept blackmailing and being framed. If you fight hard for something, you'll get it.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Good for you. I probably wouldn't have lasted that long. I'm a very sensitive person and I let little things bother me, so those kinds of things sure as hell will anger me more. But I would've stuck up for myself because I don't accept blackmailing and being framed. If you fight hard for something, you'll get it.
I stuck up for myself everytime I got accused of anything but the problem is my manager got her title by "connections". Shes very good friends with the director of HR and executive director of the entire hospital. So it was hard for me have any say, I just got backs turned on me. It came to a point where it wasn't worth fighting because I had no chance in hell. So I rather quit on my terms then be fired for lies.

I am just mentally exhausted... tired of waking up with anxiety and getting depressed after work. It isn't healthy and it isn't worth it.

Quote:
You never know, it could be for the best. Nothing wrong with taking a chance. If you stayed with a job you didn't much care for, you would always have that "what if" in the back of your mind. Do it while you're still young and can take a chance.
Absolutely, I find myself extremely lucky since my father owns quite a bit of property in Port St.Lucie Florida. Both of my parents know how unhappy I am at my current position but I stay because that's what makes them happy. So they offered me one of there places in Florida until I get on my feet with work in the area, rent free. Extremely fortunate and I greatly appreciate my parents for that offer.

If it doesn't work out, then I can always come back to new york city. Hopefully it will haha

The worst part is that as the manager is leaving, she wished my a happy birthday, talk about a spit in the face..... And I know for the next two weeks its going to be hell for me, I actually have a meeting with HR tomorrow about the latest event. I will be backed into a corner once again....

Oh well... live and learn right?

Last edited by christian84; 05-23-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 04:05 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,776 times
good for you. Good luck. Sometimes you need to packup and save your own skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment