Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,883 times

Advertisements

Well I have been dismayed by the behaviour in the average workplace these days - and far from being free people, free to make your own decision - the entire workplace these days stinks of desperation.

How many young graduates set off in the career, only to spend years in Corporate organisations effectively shuffling paper around, with fancy titles but pretty average salaries.

- We have lieing on your CV, embellishing your contribution, general Bull****ing away, and telling downright lies about what your actually, getting the job because you know the right person.

Then once you get into a job - its witholding information, backstabbing, office politics, bad bosses, misinformation, disfunctional departments, disorganisation etc - but of course if you speak out then you may lose your job.

Often people spend YEARS in these organisations - and call it a career - and there only financial achievement is make a living and buy a property.

The younger generation are the worst, they can clearly see the disfunction - are great lieing about their own contribution, backstabbing etc.

Its high time - universities/parents tried to steer people into more financially rewarding careers, or not just the servants of corporations

Corporate propaganda likes to show the image of empowered workers who manage their own careers - but its more like people who financially dependent on these type of organisations - therefore are constantly having watch their step, monitor there behaviour and look over their shoulder for layoffs.

Whatever happened to being a free human being? Is this what we have been reduced to, all for a fairly average salaries.

I can only imagine that millionaire business owners must laugh at their employees behind there backs - the amount work, backstabbing and control they get for peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Its high time - universities/parents tried to steer people into more financially rewarding careers, or not just the servants of corporations.
Could you name some "financially rewarding careers" where you aren't a servant to corporations?

I personally can't think of any myself, then with the frozen credit lines combined with a lack of demand this is the worst possible time to be trying to start any type of financially rewarding business.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Could you name some "financially rewarding careers" where you aren't a servant to corporations?

I personally can't think of any myself, then with the frozen credit lines combined with a lack of demand this is the worst possible time to be trying to start any type of financially rewarding business.
True, but if the OP is not willing to put up wit the corporate world the only alternatives are self employment or a cardboard home under the freeway.

There are a lot of people unhappy with their jobs, but many others that enjoy their work, employer, co-workers and work environment.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
True, but if the OP is not willing to put up wit the corporate world the only alternatives are self employment or a cardboard home under the freeway.

There are a lot of people unhappy with their jobs, but many others that enjoy their work, employer, co-workers and work environment.

Thats true, accept it, join the cowards, and stick out your office job.

or get up off your ass and do something about it.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Thats true, accept it, join the cowards, and stick out your office job.

or get up off your ass and do something about it.

Since you rail about corporate america so much, have you taken this advice?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

They are probably lying to themselves or are under the influence of the medications I have mentioned.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 AM

417 posts, read 825,261 times
If you start your own business and it grows to be a sizeable company, don't you have to employ most of the same mentality/tactic used in "corporate america" to maintain a sufficient/profitable company?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM

461 posts, read 911,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
If you start your own business and it grows to be a sizeable company, don't you have to employ most of the same mentality/tactic used in "corporate america" to maintain a sufficient/profitable company?
I don't think so. I think it is perfectly possible to treat the employees with respect and decency, pay them fairly, and give them decent benefits. I think that if you give the employees what they want (within reason) that you will be able to keep morale up which is not only better for business but will maintain employee loyalty.

Or maybe I'm just idealistic.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM

137 posts, read 267,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
I don't think so. I think it is perfectly possible to treat the employees with respect and decency, pay them fairly, and give them decent benefits. I think that if you give the employees what they want (within reason) that you will be able to keep morale up which is not only better for business but will maintain employee loyalty.

Or maybe I'm just idealistic.
You are. Because what most employees, especially in low-level positions, want and what they deserve are nearly polar opposites.

If you have a job that requires no real skills, it can be filled by nearly anyone. Your skills are unfortunately of low value. If you want to achieve higher salaries and all the rest you need to develop a skill that is of high value.

Low salaries are the employee's, not the employer's fault.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:53 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Most jobs have the reward of a paycheck, and maybe the opportunity of buying some property. That last one is becoming something of a luxury these days. At any rate, what "perfect" careers could you honestly recommend for the masses? At the end of the day, it's the workers responsibility to make someone else some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment