Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM

822 posts, read 3,006,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's total nonsense and no excuse at all. I don't care if you're Mrs Puddledunk making pies in your basement who hires someone to chop the fruit or Donald Trump, everyone knows you pay your employees in full and on time!

No, you're not turning into one, you are one. I don't care if this woman is God's gift to the world, you should have been down at your local labor office a long time ago. All you're doing is enabling her crappy and absolutely illegal business practices. Get a grip!
OK, OK, I posted here to get some tough love, so this is fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 AM

I digress here a bit, but a few months ago my puppy was suddenly on the verge of death (to this day we aren't sure what happened, if she ate something or what, the bloodwork seemed to suggest no toxin), but I had to call my boss at 10PM at night and ask if I could use our business credit card for a deposit at the emergency vet. It was life or death. I had some deposits clearing in my bank account literally the next morning. (not of course paychecks). She absolutely said to go ahead and use our work credit card.

I gave her a check immediately and it was clear that she expected the reimbursement immediately, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But (expletive), you guessed it, my timesheet was sitting on her desk for a time period long past. And ... wouldn't it make sense at that point that maybe, just maybe I needed to be paid. Maybe I wouldn't have to call her at 10PM at night asking to do something that mortified me ... if I were being paid on time?

And trust me, she has no money problems, trust me. She just has other priorities, other things on her mind, and paying me is just not a priority.

So yes, I need a kick in the pants here. I only posted to get some tough love.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,556,249 times
You need to put a stop to this now. How many weeks of pay does she owe you now? Can you afford to be paid sporadically? Most would answer NO! People who are on the brink of bankruptcy can and do hide things. Go to her and tell her what she owes you and refuse to work anymore until she gets current on your pay. Draw up a contract stating the pay schedule and make her sign and comply with it. You may need to remind her for a few weeks "tomorrow is payday".

I am self employed and have a service that handles my payroll. I expect to be paid weekly and the service states within a week of my timesheet submittal it should be paid. Every once in awhile my client misses a week or two and I become resentful and put off work. I know they are good for the money but I need it on a weekly basis as was agreed and I expect them to uphold the agreement 99% of the time.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You need to put a stop to this now. How many weeks of pay does she owe you now? Can you afford to be paid sporadically? Most would answer NO! People who are on the brink of bankruptcy can and do hide things. Go to her and tell her what she owes you and refuse to work anymore until she gets current on your pay. Draw up a contract stating the pay schedule and make her sign and comply with it. You may need to remind her for a few weeks "tomorrow is payday".

I am self employed and have a service that handles my payroll. I expect to be paid weekly and the service states within a week of my timesheet submittal it should be paid. Every once in awhile my client misses a week or two and I become resentful and put off work. I know they are good for the money but I need it on a weekly basis as was agreed and I expect them to uphold the agreement 99% of the time.
OK, but my side question is - is there a service out there that might be able to streamline this? If I could say "hey for $4.99 a month we can just press a button to approve my timesheet and I get a paycheck in the mail" ... She'd go for that in a flash. So if there is a resource out there, please someone point me to it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,556,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
OK, but my side question is - is there a service out there that might be able to streamline this? If I could say "hey for $4.99 a month we can just press a button to approve my timesheet and I get a paycheck in the mail" ... She'd go for that in a flash. So if there is a resource out there, please someone point me to it.
I am sure there is but I'd think it would be more than $5/mo. My bank offers such a service to businesses; maybe you could check with them. Try a google search for payroll services. The biggies (ADP) are going to be expensive, I have no doubt.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You need to put a stop to this now. Draw up a contract stating the pay schedule and make her sign and comply with it. You may need to remind her for a few weeks "tomorrow is payday".
I disagree. The nice part is over and done with and this has been going on so long that the OP is TWO MONTHS BEHIND on pay cheques. She should sit down right now with this woman and tell her either the back pay cheques are received by the end of this week and that hereafter all pay cheques are to be made out on a weekly basis and delivered on time - or the Labor Department will be advised at the beginning of next week.

I can't imagine how anybody reading this could (a) even imagine not being paid on time and (b) pay cheques falling behind two months and then (c) advocate any more *****-footing around.

There were a few times when I had my own business when money was VERY tight but not once did I ever mess around with paying my employees. I'd skimp on everything else before doing that. This has really got my goat!

PS: Oh dear, the affectionate term for a cat isn't allowed, thus the asterisks!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
The best thing you can do is be direct and ask her nicely if there is a way to formalize payroll. State that you need to get paid in a timely way to pay your bills. Be direct and polite and hopefully your employer will respond.

Great advice.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,503,180 times
1) Warn her

if that doesn't work:

2) Report her

if that doesn't work:

3) Don't do any work and look for another job.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,157,167 times
It sounds like you haven't directly told her that you need to be paid consistently in a timely manner from this point on. So, considering you haven't voiced your concern to her, yet, it would be inappropiate to start out by "warning" her or threatening to go to the labor board.

You need to stand up for yourself by directly saying that it has been 2 months since your last paycheck. You need to be paid all of your back pay by the end of the week/month/day, whichever suits you. And although you like the job and enjoy working with her unless she pays you on time then you won't be able to continue working for her. She will get the message.

Also, after you and she have your chat don't ever let her get away with not paying you again. At this point, she knows she can take advantage of you. You have to let her know you aren't a doormat (won't continue being a doormat) and you won't put up with her nonsense any longer.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM

You're all correct and I do need to get this taken care of. But I don't want to suggest that I haven't been paid in 2 months. What I'm saying is the timesheet sitting on her desk right now is for end of March/early April. So I keep getting paid, but because she's so slow it's just fallen further and further behind and I was hoping to catch up incrementally so that she wouldn't have to write a big check for 8 weeks of work, but every timesheet is the same thing just waiting and waiting and waiting.

The incident a year ago had kind of brought it to the surface (when I turned around and went home, mainly because I just couldn't do the pile of work she had for me that day while still waiting for my check). At the time she said "next time please just ask!" But dang, begging for a paycheck or making a ceremony out of each one is just draining.

And I have to say that just around Christmas I was grumbling about waiting for my paycheck when I opened an envelope and she gave me a whopping bonus. So I promise, her heart is really in the right place. I am the problem here for not being more direct or assertive (like I said, the housekeeper will not leave without being paid; some of the babysitters are like "ok, as soon as you pay me I'll be on my way". That said, I'd rather just get paid automatically or in some automated way. This is just tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment