Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 PM

61 posts, read 166,816 times

Advertisements

Guys im thinking of starting a powerwashing business on the side from my regular job to generate additional income. I don't have the slightest idea of how to actually powerwash but im willing to learn. Just around my county i see numerous driveways in need of powerwashing since they look dirty and molty. Now i would start doing this on weekends and i already priced out an industrial powerwasher (the whole kit) to be setting me back $1800. Then of course i would have to price out chemicals and all the other stuff. What do you guys think? Is there a market for this? I see companies charge as much as $150 just for a driveway which i think is astronomically high.
I would do just weekends with another friend until we see that it really picks up then i would hire college kids.

Please comment with your thoughts.

TNX
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Its not just buyihg the equipment, its getting insurance, a license, upkeep, and knowledge. if you accidentally ruin someones garden, vehicle close by, lots of variables. Not real sure where, location wise you are talking about, need to have a strong customer base, investing $1800, plus insurance, is it already on a trailer? storage while not using it, storage of chemicals, hazardous? does your current auto ins policy cover a trailer hauled commercial apparatus? how much more is that going to cost. Gas powered I assume, cost of that. You could also do some truck rallys and mud races, do a quick on the spot rinse of those fully mudded vehicles, if you can learn to control the pressure. you can remove paint from a vehicle with a good washer. Also wash houses, or boats. once again, location. New properties, or maybe more just houses up for sale, clean drive is a good selling point.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times
I don't know where you live but I paid a guy $270 to do my driveway (50' x 10'), parking pad (20 x 20) and front porch (20 x 10) and I thought that was more than reasonable. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
Guys im thinking of starting a powerwashing business on the side from my regular job to generate additional income. I don't have the slightest idea of how to actually powerwash but im willing to learn. Just around my county i see numerous driveways in need of powerwashing since they look dirty and molty. Now i would start doing this on weekends and i already priced out an industrial powerwasher (the whole kit) to be setting me back $1800. Then of course i would have to price out chemicals and all the other stuff. What do you guys think? Is there a market for this? I see companies charge as much as $150 just for a driveway which i think is astronomically high.
I would do just weekends with another friend until we see that it really picks up then i would hire college kids.

Please comment with your thoughts.

TNX
I agree with what the other poster said about insurance and other legal requirements for the business. Also, you should really learn more about powerwashing in general. Maybe you could look up online what a commercial power washing business does exactly. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't touch any houses/cars/trucks/decks until you figure out HOW to power wash.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
Guys im thinking of starting a powerwashing business on the side from my regular job to generate additional income. I don't have the slightest idea of how to actually powerwash but im willing to learn.
I would definitely advise you to work for a powerwashing company before you buy all of your equipment and try to start your own business. You really need to know exactly what you're doing first.

I had a college roommate who was studying entrepreneurship because she wanted to own her own glassblowing business, but didn't want to actually learn glassblowing. She ended up failing out of college. So yeah definitely learn EVERYTHING you can before starting your business.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
The problem with powerwashing is the Craigslist hacks who go buy a $300 pressure washer from Northern Tool or Home Depot and advertise $99 pressure washing of an entire house. My neighbor uses them all the time.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM

97 posts, read 265,671 times
A strong powerwasher, in "unskilled" hands can cut wood.. wreak havoc on decks... peel the paint off of vehicles.. etc..
One mishap, and you'll be in the hole before you know it

Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM

154 posts, read 524,630 times
Build a cashflow model in excel that breaks down startup costs, weekly income, weekly expenses (including insurance). Increase weekly income (x jobs at an average of $y per job) incrementally as you expect to grow the business.

This will give you an idea of whether you can make this work, when you break even will come from startup costs, what you profits will start to look like.

Here is a sample excel template:
http://www.exinfm.com/excel%20files/cash_flow_model.xls

Also see if you can identify any customers now - if you can find commercial customers (a business that needs powerwashing regularly like home builders, painters, etc) or referral partners (painters etc who can refer you while you refer them).

Good Luck.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I agree with what the other poster said about insurance and other legal requirements for the business. Also, you should really learn more about powerwashing in general. Maybe you could look up online what a commercial power washing business does exactly. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't touch any houses/cars/trucks/decks until you figure out HOW to power wash.
I power-washed my parents' house and driveways a couple of times when I was a teenager. It isn't hard work, just time consuming and your hand is numb by the time you finish.

We would rent an industrial power washer from the local tool store for $100 or so. You fill it up with gasoline and plug it up to an outside faucet, crank it up, and start washing. It is very similar to the wand you use at the car wash, but more powerful.

It wouldn't be a bad business to run. I don't know how you could live on it though since power-washing isn't something people really need that often, just once every few years.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It isn't hard work, just time consuming and your hand is numb by the time you finish.
As far as your hand being numb - shove a tennis ball in between the trigger and the handle next time so you don't have to hold the trigger down the entire time in the same spot.

And then don't ever drop the gun/wand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment