Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

When I see ads like this it just makes me think they've already picked someone for the job and they're writing the ad to eliminate any chance of someone else needing to be interviewed. True, being a receptionist is a lot harder than many people realise, but 5 years seems a tad excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
My question is what jobs DON'T require 3-5 years of experience? Is there a single job outside of retail, that doesn't require 3-5 years of experience?
Even retail and fast food jobs are wanting experience now. Absolutely every business large and small is jumping in on the frenzy.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Answer calls promptly and professionally/take and route messages

Greet/manage all visitors

Handle in-coming and out-going mail/packages and deliveries (Fed Ex, etc.)

Maintain front office, kitchen, and conference rooms

Manage/maintain all office supplies and refreshments for office and kitchen

Update/maintain employee contact list (telephone, email & extension lists)

Support company meetings (order/set-up lunches, communicate w/caterers, handle paperwork, etc.)

General support duties for executive staff & executive support staff

Assist with expense reports, a variety of office projects, conference room management/scheduling, travel arrangements, filing, copying/scanning, and data entry as requested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a wild guess.
5-10 years of experience and a Bachelor's Degree, all for a grand total of $11/hr.

eDIT: They must also have curved hips, a big azz and huge boobies. Someone who's young with blonde hair is a definite plus.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well it depends on how large the company is because if it's a large company I can understand why. You want someone who knows what they are doing and can represent the company well

If it's a receptionist for a smaller business then it would probably not require that many years
Are you kidding me?

A high school student can do this job with one hand and their eyes closed after a few days.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Are you kidding me?

A high school student can do this job with one hand and their eyes closed after a few days.
Answering the phone also involves personality and give off the right vibe when someone comes inside. Do you know how many times I came across a rude receptionist whether it was a doctor's office or a large company? You can't be a person who is just there to focus on phone calls and not smile and greet every visitor with warmth and respect.

Not all high school students or adults can do that

Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Even retail and fast food jobs are wanting experience now. Absolutely every business large and small is jumping in on the frenzy.
So what's wrong with that? If I go to KFC or Taco Bell and the person is not good in operating the cash register which would result in a LONG LINE of angry customers that would be a huge problem

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Quote:
Answering the phone also involves personality and give off the right vibe when someone comes inside. Do you know how many times I came across a rude receptionist whether it was a doctor's office or a large company? You can't be a person who is just there to focus on phone calls and not smile and greet every visitor with warmth and respect.

Not all high school students or adults can do that
I agree, but what's that got to do with experience?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I agree, but what's that got to do with experience?
Because someone experienced will know that being a receptionist is more than just answering the phone with a pleasant voice.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
So what's wrong with that? If I go to KFC or Taco Bell and the person is not good in operating the cash register which would result in a LONG LINE of angry customers that would be a huge problem

The ability to operate a cash register has nothing to do with experience, and everything to do with basic intellegence.

I worked at a sub shop starting at age 17 with no prior experience, and was using the cash register day 1.

There is absolutely no reason in hell, you need 3 or 4 years of experience to be a "crew member" at a fast food restaurant, or a shelf stocker in a retail facility. These are jobs anyone with an IQ high enough to function can pick up within a week.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Because someone experienced will know that being a receptionist is more than just answering the phone with a pleasant voice.
Youre right, the receptionist at my last job that had a receptionist also had to SORT MAIL and USE THE PITNEY BOWES MACHINE and INSTRUCT PEOPLE TO SIT ON THE COUCH IN THE LOBBY. All extremely difficult tasks that take years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment