Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,053 times

Advertisements

I’ve been working this temporary job since May 29th with a Fortune 500 company.

The person who originally hired me is no longer with the company and another manager has taken on the task of supervising me.

Ever since I started they really don’t have any work for me to do. And I just started! I will be here until October. I don’t know if I can deal with this.

I finish a project then have to ask them for more work. It really seems a bit unprepared to me.

I make approximately $20 per hour which isn’t bad for a temporary employee, but I feel like this time is wasted and I could be looking for a permanent job instead of sitting here and having to ask for more work when hours go by of me doing nothing.

Basically, I’m just sitting around now unless they ask me if I am doing something. You didn’t give me any work so how can I be doing something?!

I wouldn’t mind resigning but my mentor is basically the one who sent me this position. I was going to stick it out for that particular reason.

The people who work here that I’ve dealt with are a bit incompetent. It is very frustrating since I am a temp and they are permanent employees. They halfway complete things. I guess you can do that when you are permanent. I’d like to be permanent and earning a salary.

What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
ALWAY's be looking.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
As a temp finding a perm job should always be your part time occupation.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
How about using that "nothing to do" time and prepare a business plan, research funding sources, research competitors, research schools? Do some creative writing, on freelance websites, or for yourself (for a future book?)?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times
Temps can be let go at any time for any reason and as a temp you have fewer rights than an employee. One day you may receive a phone call from the temp agency saying "thank you for all the hard work you have done for us but don't come in tomorrow". It is an incredibly insecure job so you should always be looking. The thing is the needs of the temp are determined by the needs of the company so after your project is over, that could be the end even if they put you as "temp to hire" which doesn't guarantee that you will be brought on board. Here is a tip: Never trust your employers to ever look out for your interests.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Im in your situation, making a couple less dollars an hour, but still, I basically do nothing 35-38 hours a week.

I would be looking for another job if I had any time to, and I would suggest you do the same.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
How about using that "nothing to do" time and prepare a business plan, research funding sources, research competitors, research schools? Do some creative writing, on freelance websites, or for yourself (for a future book?)?
This is on the money. I have been trying to start a bookkeeping business that I just focus on after work. And I am trying to launch a blog that I also work on when I get home on the evening.

I'm also interested in writing. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im in your situation, making a couple less dollars an hour, but still, I basically do nothing 35-38 hours a week.

I would be looking for another job if I had any time to, and I would suggest you do the same.
Why don't you??!!

I've been looking for a part time weekend job to supplement my income. But I'm going to focus on finding a permanent job too, when I'm not too tired.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Why don't you??!!

I've been looking for a part time weekend job to supplement my income. But I'm going to focus on finding a permanent job too, when I'm not too tired.

Too scared of being let go from this pile of crap if I try to go on interviews, which would

A. Destroy my relationship with the temp agency that my wife ALSO works for
and
B. Hurt my chances at unemployment

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Too scared of being let go from this pile of crap if I try to go on interviews, which would

A. Destroy my relationship with the temp agency that my wife ALSO works for
and
B. Hurt my chances at unemployment

I think you should start applying and then go on the interviews that you really want to. I would do a half-day or go during your lunch.

Also, why don’t you tell your recruiter you are extremely grateful for the work they helped you find and then ask if they have anything that is going to go permanent in their jobs list?

I can’t live like this anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment