Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 8,909 times

Advertisements

I got hired working at a daycare center as a full time assistant teacher in the baby infant room and at the end of my first day they told me I was now working part time. So I said fine and the next day I became a floater (none of this was in the job description) and they tacked on the older infant room and now a toddler room. The director said I'd get paid next Friday (the 15th of June). I handed in my tax forms and direct deposit form. Last Thursday I was about to quit but decided to stay and when I got home the owner called and said I have the day off on Friday. So Friday comes and no money in account from job so I called and asked when I should come in to get my check. Director tells me I'd get paid next week. Then I called again because I thought they would still give me a paper check for the 6 days I worked. The owner picks up and says it'll be another two weeks - that's three weeks I don't get paid. So I called my bank and they said I should still get a live paper check even if direct deposit isn't cleared. If I don't get paid this Friday can I sue them?

In NYS, an employer is required to pay you every two weeks. Also if they say you will be getting paid on a certain date, they are required by NYS to pay you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Give them an ultimatum: Pay me now or I'll report you to the DOL and get you in a world of hurt. Court should not be necessary.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
I would go down to the center when you know the owner (s) or director is there with a copy of your proof of hours and ask for your check in person. Pick a good time when you know they are there.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
Why are there so many 'shady" employers ?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:01 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natguardwife925 View Post
I got hired working at a daycare center as a full time assistant teacher in the baby infant room and at the end of my first day they told me I was now working part time. So I said fine and the next day I became a floater (none of this was in the job description) and they tacked on the older infant room and now a toddler room. The director said I'd get paid next Friday (the 15th of June). I handed in my tax forms and direct deposit form. Last Thursday I was about to quit but decided to stay and when I got home the owner called and said I have the day off on Friday. So Friday comes and no money in account from job so I called and asked when I should come in to get my check. Director tells me I'd get paid next week. Then I called again because I thought they would still give me a paper check for the 6 days I worked. The owner picks up and says it'll be another two weeks - that's three weeks I don't get paid. So I called my bank and they said I should still get a live paper check even if direct deposit isn't cleared. If I don't get paid this Friday can I sue them?

In NYS, an employer is required to pay you every two weeks. Also if they say you will be getting paid on a certain date, they are required by NYS to pay you.
A 3 week lag in pay is common at the start of employment. If payday was the 15th, it is likely for the pay period form 5-27 to 6-9 or something similar. It is possible you did not work in the pay period that had checks issued on the 15th. People who worked in that will get paid on the 15th. Also, there are usually laws about the first check if it is under a certain number of hours.

As for your statement about in nYS if they say they will pay you they are required to...well, only if they owe you money per their payroll processing. Just because payday was the 15th does not mean that you worked in the time period in which the pay check/date covered. Also, there is NO requirement that a pay period be from Sun to Sat...employers can put anything they want as long as it stays the same week to week. So at this point, before throwing a fit, see what the pay periods are and whether or not you worked during the pay period covered by checks on 6-15

Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
A 3 week lag in pay is common at the start of employment. If payday was the 15th, it is likely for the pay period form 5-27 to 6-9 or something similar. It is possible you did not work in the pay period that had checks issued on the 15th. People who worked in that will get paid on the 15th. Also, there are usually laws about the first check if it is under a certain number of hours.

As for your statement about in nYS if they say they will pay you they are required to...well, only if they owe you money per their payroll processing. Just because payday was the 15th does not mean that you worked in the time period in which the pay check/date covered. Also, there is NO requirement that a pay period be from Sun to Sat...employers can put anything they want as long as it stays the same week to week. So at this point, before throwing a fit, see what the pay periods are and whether or not you worked during the pay period covered by checks on 6-15

Sound advice. Get all the facts first, the most critical being the workdates represented by the paydate 6/15.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Many employers pay with a week or two lag, to insure return of keys/other items, and to have tome to process after the pay period ends, in case someone doesn't show up at the end of the period. Still, in this case it sounds like they are fighting cash and not a good place to be working.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

How many kids were you watching? It sounds like maybe than more than was allowed under NY state law.

You might want to report them.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,909 times
5 in older infant room when ratio is 1:4. Director said I'm getting paid the 22nd and owner said 29th.. Which is it? In the past when my direct deposit didn't clear they would give me a paper check. My bank account also keeps telling me I have money in there but when I check it, there's none.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 AM

279 posts, read 854,521 times
Quote:
5 in older infant room when ratio is 1:4. Director said I'm getting paid the 22nd and owner said 29th.. Which is it? In the past when my direct deposit didn't clear they would give me a paper check. My bank account also keeps telling me I have money in there but when I check it, there's none.
pay period ends on the 22th, you should be getting your check by the 29

if nothing happens after july 1 then start complaining so more. Right now, since your new is it is normal that your first check always takes 3-4 weeks since you sometimes start during the middle of the pay period and that it takes longer to process/verify certain information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment