Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,799 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Ok, so started new job in early July. On my resume I did a little bit of padding here and there. Mostly to do with start dates of jobs etc. I was unemployed for almost 2 years and created a job overseas to cover time spent unemployed. Believe me folks when I tell you that employers really dont take too kindly to extended periods of unemployment in this day and age. So, in early July , spoke with the company HR and did interview for job. Contacted a few days later to say that they wanted me to start in a weeks time. Now, I was wrong to ever think that they conduct a background check and then make the job offer. At least that is how I thought it went. But now 5 weeks into job, I get email from HR "we need to see you". All kinds of alarm bells went off. Then I went to the HR office, was told there that there were some questions that have arisen from backgroud check. Some like college diploma which can be produced to them. No prob there. Then they send me very pointed email asking for this and that. Namely, offer letter and pay stub for job overseas / tax return for that job. The whole tone of the email is very formal in all. Now there is little to no chance I can ever produce an offer letter along with pay stub etc. as I really only put that down to cover my extended period of unemployment.
At this point, I know things are getting serious and I am looking at my options. For anybody that has knowledge of such matters, please leave some feedback. And I know I know, it was stupid thing to put down in first place. But since company is no longer in business and impossible to contact them I thought it would be ok. Desparate times folks, call for drastic measures.
Now I am just thinking in terms of remaining paychecks in this gig. I have a gut feeling to bail now and avoid more problems in the future. If promotion comes up this could be a real issue.
Last thing is that HR was really intense and more than I thought they would be.
I guess the qst remains, since I can in no way produce a pay stub or tax return for overseas job, and they want proof as they noted in their message to me, is it too wishful thinking to believe they will just overlook this red flag in my background check.
Quit now and look for another job or wait till they fire me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I guess the qst remains, since I can in no way produce a pay stub or tax return for overseas job, and they want proof as they noted in their message to me, is it too wishful thinking to believe they will just overlook this red flag in my background check.
Quit now and look for another job or wait till they fire me?
I like your odds of hittimg Powerball more than them forgetting about it.

Start job hunting.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Well, at least you broke that 2 year dry spell Definitely going to need to find another job. You obviously won't have any unemployment checks to fall back on. Best of luck, but clearly you knew what you did was wrong, and understand why this will probably be the end of it at far as the job goes.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM

279 posts, read 854,649 times
since you are already 5 weeks in your job, i think it might be better to talk to your supervisor/boss and see what they suggests. Since you already been there for a month, and your coworkers/supervisors can back up that your a good worker then i think you can safety tell HR to eat it/shove it

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,495 times
I would start looking for another job.

You could tell them you were paid cash at the job, but you would still need to show tax returns.

Perhaps you lost that information and now that company is out of business? I dunno dude, your kinda SOL but at least you have notice you are SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
since you are already 5 weeks in your job, i think it might be better to talk to your supervisor/boss and see what they suggests. Since you already been there for a month, and your coworkers/supervisors can back up that your a good worker then i think you can safety tell HR to eat it/shove it
In very few companies can you tell HR to shove it.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
LOL! As if his boss was not informed by H/R of their investigation?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
You rolled the dice and lost. The big question is what is your resume going to look like when you start applying again.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL! As if his boss was not informed by H/R of their investigation?
A good HR would not risk tarnishing someone's reputation until they have facts. Right now they are inquiring and it would be bad business to let his Supervisor know and tarnish his reputation , that is until he fesses up or can not provide the info and he is let go.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
A good HR would not risk tarnishing someone's reputation until they have facts. Right now they are inquiring and it would be bad business to let his Supervisor know and tarnish his reputation , that is until he fesses up or can not provide the info and he is let go.
Personally I would say there is slim to no chance they don't know already. Saying there are questions is not tarnishing anyone's reputation. It is simply stating the facts.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,799 times
Funny thing is that it appears my mgr may not know what is going on. Well at least from today and her nice approach to me. But it can't be overemphasised how stressful it is having this cloud hang over me. Again this is high pressure environment and very intense area. You know even if I do buy some time and make up some excuses to delay HR, they will come a lookin for me before long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment