Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
except now, there is fraud on their last job application. so in addition to being unemployed, now they are more, UNEMPLOYABLE. If this company is big enough to do this type of background ck, this person will apply for another job in this field, the company, whether she mentions it or not, has employees. There is a probability that this network of people and businesses associated with it are tarnished.
so, Two wrongs don't make it right.

Lied, got caught,

Bunny, you were RIGHT ON!! tried to rep you, but got to spreadd the love around some before I can again.
i didn't know this was on your background check, i thought just dates of moving, criminal acts and family info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
I think the OP will be fired soon. They are just getting their ducks in a row before doing so to avoid blowback.

The OP may want to just resign now to avoid getting fired. Tough times ahead, but hopefully he still has his health.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
While I agree with all that's been said and you're going to be looking again, very soon. You do have one other option.

Face it right on. Be up front with HR. Tell them you know the fact that there was a large gap in your history wouldn't get your foot in the door in this job market. So, you filled the gap. You wanted the opportunity to prove yourself to live people. You have the skill set and the ability to do the job and you didn't want a resume scanner to decide your value to the company based on your employment gap. Admit that you know it's wrong, but that you believe employers are missing out on the value that you can bring, simply because you've not been employed for an extended time. And if you've made some strides in your position, over the past 5 weeks, point that out as well.

Don't BS them. Be honest about why you did this. Don't compound the lie. Will it matter? I honestly doubt it. But there might be a glimmer of hope if you face it straight up and you can honestly say that the rest of your resume is 100% accurate. You really don't have much to lose.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Bless your heart.

I wouldn't even have wasted all of my time going through everything you did, because almost all employers do extensive background checks now.

Good luck to you, I hope everything ends well.

EDIT: JTGJR gave you good advice as well. You have nothing to lose.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Quote:
While I agree with all that's been said and you're going to be looking again, very soon. You do have one other option.

Face it right on. Be up front with HR. Tell them you know the fact that there was a large gap in your history wouldn't get your foot in the door in this job market. So, you filled the gap. You wanted the opportunity to prove yourself to live people. You have the skill set and the ability to do the job and you didn't want a resume scanner to decide your value to the company based on your employment gap. Admit that you know it's wrong, but that you believe employers are missing out on the value that you can bring, simply because you've not been employed for an extended time. And if you've made some strides in your position, over the past 5 weeks, point that out as well.

Don't BS them. Be honest about why you did this. Don't compound the lie. Will it matter? I honestly doubt it. But there might be a glimmer of hope if you face it straight up and you can honestly say that the rest of your resume is 100% accurate. You really don't have much to lose.

Good luck.
This is the best advice. At least you get to explain the reasons behind your lie, say you are sorry and leave with your head up.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,918 times
The OP should remove the fake job and replace it by saying he's been writing a blog (informal and on a topic unrelated to what he does for a living, of course) and/or engaging in some other type of purposeful activity (writing a book, building something, learning to play an instrument, whatever fits). When he gets fired, since he might not be able to collect unemployment AND he'll be unemployed, he should sign up with an online contract company that doesn't require experience (such as Textbroker if he has decent writing skills, or he may be able to find something else). The he'll be able to submit his W-9 and at least be able to say honestly that he was doing SOMETHING between full-time jobs.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Bull... Companies and background check agencies do not have access to some database of everyplace you ever worked. Yes, the government does but they are different. XYZ Company Human Resources Department will not have access to information that you ever worked at that place or not. If they did, why is most employment verification done the old fashioned way, over the phone?

If I were you, I would keep lying and would create an offer letter and W-2 tax form using a number of software packages available on the Internet avaiable to small businesses. It is very easy to do.
Are you nuts! when was the last time you worked, caused this is 2012, most verificatiosn are done via computerized services because they are exempt from disclosure liabilities. The governement databases are scrubbed to conform to all regulations and laws. Information/Data Brokers are not required to use scrubbed data, they can glem info from any source. Take for example you applied to Company A and they did a verification based on what you stated on the application or resume. A year later you apply to Company B but submitted fake info. When Company B submits the infromation the computers will flag it because what they already have doesn;t match what is now being said. What is the prospective employer to think when they have conflicting information being returned based on what you have stated?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Bull... Companies and background check agencies do not have access to some database of everyplace you ever worked. Yes, the government does but they are different. XYZ Company Human Resources Department will not have access to information that you ever worked at that place or not. If they did, why is most employment verification done the old fashioned way, over the phone?

If I were you, I would keep lying and would create an offer letter and W-2 tax form using a number of software packages available on the Internet avaiable to small businesses. It is very easy to do.
And then you go to FEDERAL PRISON for falsifying federal documents. It's not a joke, it actually happened to someone I worked with years ago.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

Good luck.
Sage advice. Adding lies on top of lies will only create a situation that you simply can't get out of.

If you tell the truth you've got a 50/50 shot of keeping the job. If you lie you will eventually be found out, and then it's going to be far worse.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Okay lets bottom line this one, the employer is unable to find any information regarding overseas employment, employee decides to not commit forgery and says "I am unable to provide the information you requested" .... Employer then says "Since we are unable to confirm your background, we must terminate your employment with us, effective immediately".

There are reasons EVERY employment counselor will tell you you may be able to leave things out but lying will bite you in the bum.

It is hard to believe some of the suggestions in this thread.

Falsifying FEDERAL documents ?? REALLY ?? Falsifying pay-stubs? Why not falsify bank statements documenting the payroll deposits too?

Possible options here:
Employer decides it is no big deal and employee keeps their job.
Employee is terminated for lying on their application.
Employee goes to PRISON for falsifying Federal and banking documents.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 08-09-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment