Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

My present job is being eliminated. Another company has expressed an interest in interviewing me. I have the choice of going for the same job title I now hold, but have very little experience in, or a lesser job that I can certainly nail without much effort. In the new company the same job I now hold could be way over my head.
Should I go for the higher paying one, which I might not do well at, or the lesser paying one, where I can for sure do well and then hopfully learn the ropes and get promoted? Confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,180 times
What type of work is it?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM

89 posts, read 291,425 times
I always say you don't know until you try! Have confidence in yourself and go for the higher paying job. If they want you for it they will provide appropriate training, if they do not feel you are qualified enough maybe they would say the other one suits you best at this time. At least you would have a job. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I thought hard about it and decided to aim high, rather than low. I don't want to go backwards. I meet with the manager tomorrow, so I'll see what kind of challenges I will be up against. I think they are in an emergency situation, so that makes me wary.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
I always say you don't know until you try! Have confidence in yourself and go for the higher paying job. If they want you for it they will provide appropriate training, if they do not feel you are qualified enough maybe they would say the other one suits you best at this time. At least you would have a job. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!
Don't always trust you will be trained. I took a job and was told I would get the training I needed before they 'let me loose'. Literally two months into it I have been trained an hour. It is very stressful. I am happy I went for it, but I may lose my job if I don't perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment