Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM

815 posts, read 737,351 times

Advertisements

Basically, I am in pretty bad financial shape and I need another source of income desperately. I do not want to quit my current job, because I get health insurance through them, yet they are currently only giving me 16 hours per week...which is not enough to live on.

There are a lot of sites out there promising that you can make thousand of dollars a month just sitting on your computer but most of these are just scams. I need something that I can do on my own time, since my schedule changes from week to week. Does anybody know of any online work opportunities that are legitimate? That pay more then a few cents an hour?

Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
www.odesk.com is supposed to work.

You can also look for sites like Earn Reward Points and Redeem Them For Free Stuff at Swagbucks.com. You can get awards for watching ads, surveys, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Working from home is very difficult. A lot of folks think they can take on a wah position to supplement their income, but put little effort into it.

Leapforce is one wah employer. The training process is non-paid and tedious. The work is tedious and a bit stressful. But it is legitimate. I did it when I HAD to and couldn't find anything else, but was glad to quit a month later.

I have now found two positions for local small business owners, working from home. I am not either of their first employee - one employs others in a typical office setting, but wanted someone to make additional calls at night - some clients prefer to do business after typical business hours, and some are in HI and AK - paying me for the time I work vs the time I'd have to sit in an office, plus the overhead, makes this a win-win for him - but only if I DO the work. He has had a lot of problems with people slacking off, or blowing off the work in the past. No one else has lasted more than a few weeks. I'm about to hit 3 months - and somedays are rougher than others. He has a new project/company he's about to start and there's a lot of data entry required to get it ready - it's not exciting but it is interesting and I am learning a LOT about his industry as I put this info into spreadsheet form.

The other position is new to me - I didn't make it through the first round, apparently, but now that those who did have proven themselves unreliable, I'm getting a chance. Admin work again... calls, data entry mostly.

A lot of people think that wah positions should pay LESS than their 'drive to' positions - but I don't accept or apply for any positions that are for less $12/hr (about right for admin work here). Yes, you don't have to pay for gas, but you also don't get paid when work is slow. When in an office, you get paid for your presence, when wah, you get paid for productivity. And being at home makes being productive MUCH easier or MUCH harder - depending on who you are.

So, my advice is to keep looking - check Craigslist. Be aware that the legit opportunities won't be sitting there - the prospecitive employer is going to get HUNDREDS of replies the first day, and they usually pull the ads after a couple of hours, due to the overwhelming response, so you'll need to check several times a day to find them at times. Stay away from positions offering you $1000s per week or hundreds per day. Don't accept any position where you pay to work. Don't accept an offer from a scam artist requiring you to "have a clear criminal record and accept and send multiple parcels per day". RUN from those! Also, any position that claims you "just have to accept incoming calls and read a script" is a sales position, commission based, regardless of what it claims NOT to be.

To work at home, generally you need: a PC, printer/scanner, high speed internet, a phone line (Vonage or landline), a dedicated and quiet space to work behind a door that can be closed to kids and pets, a good, strong phone voice and presence, be computer savvy, have a 'can do' attitude/spirit and be proactive and self-motivated. If you need constant direction and supervision, if you have a hard time concentrating on a tedious task or if you are a person who goofs off when the boss isn't looking - then working from home probably isn't for you.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Working from home is very difficult. A lot of folks think they can take on a wah position to supplement their income, but put little effort into it.
This is very true. And a good rule of thumb is if the job ad is too good to be true, than most likely it is a scam anyway. It takes time to find work, any work.

You can work from home taking calls like virtual call center work. It doesn't pay a lot, but if you don't mind talking on the phone, you could do OK and you don't mind working unusal hours. I believe it is called LiveOps. I have known people who did it for a living, especially single mothers whose working hours were limited due to having school-aged kids.

According to Clark Howard (syndicated radio personality and consumer advocate) the websites below are legitimate for work from home opportunities and/or websites giving you more general info. I hope this helps you and you can find some legit work from home.

Clark Howard: Work At Home Guide | www.clarkhoward.com

Last edited by berkeleylake; 07-19-2012 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment