Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
I've had outstanding service with Pay Pal. They're really geared toward online business.

I cannot, however, say the same thing about most freelance sites. They will hold your money and it will take a great deal of effort to get it back. I had unauthorized charges before I even hired anyone on freelancer. This is the worst one. It was so frustrating to feel helpless. Most of the freelancers on these sites seem incompetent and crooked, in my three experiences. They will milk you for all the information on your project, then they flake. So if you have an idea that is not copyrighted, make sure to not give everything away. Many people on those sites are just fishing for ideas. But whatever you do, stay away from freelancer. The people running the sights are from other countries for the most part, and they operate differently and don't have any real rules.

Again, this has been my recent experience.
I am listed on freelancer and have bid on only a handful of jobs. Each time I ended up with a spam client. I won't use them again.

I've been with elance for a few years now. They are US based in California and are trying hard to throw the scammers out. I bid on a job just this week and was contacted and given login information to complete the work but never awarded the job. This client created multiple jobs with different descriptions and the work was always different than described. They also wanted to pay outside of elance which is against TOS. I reported them and they were banned from the site. But they are reinventing themselves as different users in different countries.

The point is there are good workers on both sites just trying to make a living in this difficult world. You just have to be careful and know how to spot a scam even if it sounds halfway legitimate. Elance protects the client and employee but if either opens themselves up to fraud by providing personal information they can't.

You have to be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Be careful with PayPal. My niece got into one financial mess after another using them to borrow cash from. They always sounded to me like a legitimate loan shark..could be wrong but just don't trust someone who can get into your weekly pay check..they gotta know lots about you by being able to do that like your Social Security number, where you work, where you live and more. I wouldn't do it but then its your choice??
So it's paypal's fault and not your niece's? When will people realize that borrowing money is never a good idea? smh!!

Paypal has only recently in the last year or so started offering "buy it now; take 6 months to pay" offers. I have never done this so I don't know how it works but I have never had to give them all of the information you indicated. They have never known where I work and AFAIK I have never given them my social security number. Be sure what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM

261 posts, read 497,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I bid on a job just this week and was contacted and given login information to complete the work but never awarded the job. This client created multiple jobs with different descriptions and the work was always different than described. They also wanted to pay outside of elance which is against TOS.
interesting. I don't understand why a client would want to pay outside of the system, although I can see why a freelancer would to avoid the fees.

Like most things in business, the biggest issues always seem to be due to people wanting something for nothing. Dealing with people in general seems to be becoming more and more challenging.

Are people becoming more difficult or is it just due to my own increasing intolerance of humankind?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
interesting. I don't understand why a client would want to pay outside of the system, although I can see why a freelancer would to avoid the fees.

Like most things in business, the biggest issues always seem to be due to people wanting something for nothing. Dealing with people in general seems to be becoming more and more challenging.

Are people becoming more difficult or is it just due to my own increasing intolerance of humankind?
I believe it's the "something for nothing" you speak of and not of any intolerance we humans have developed. That "something for nothing" can be translated to many areas of our lives today. Buy a home for $100K today and sell 2-3 yrs down the line for $150K+. In the end we all pay for this mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment