Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times

Advertisements

I work 70 per week, sometimes more. I don't have much of a social life, but the money helps me get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
I worked 58 hours/week one summer. I was 19 at a time, and it was a second shift job at a local factory. Sundays would be my only day off...I usually only felt like resting that day, because I'd be so physically exhausted by that point. I was still living with my parents at that point, so I didn't have to worry about too many chores, grocery shopping, etc.

No way would I do that now. There's more to life than work and money.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,460 times
Default Worked 21days in a row at 12hr shifts

I've worked the last 21 days in a row at 12hr shifts. I'm exhausted and have the worst migraine in the world. I called in today because I couldn't hardly sleep last night due to the throbbing from my migraine. I'm truely physically and mentally exhausted. It's caused mny common symptoms of exhaustion and migraines, i.e. diarrhea, sluggishness, loss of concentration, loss of short term memory, body aches and chills. I want to know others' opinions on my work situation. I'm making a Dr appt today to try to treat this exhaustion and migraines because that's my job so I guess I'm going to have to deal with the 12hrdays/7days a wk. Its really taking a toll on my physical health. Not to mention nothing is getting done at my house when I am home because I am too damned exhausted to move. Is it even legal to work that many days in a row at 12hr shifts? My body feels so weak. Alls I want to do is sleep but my migraine is throbbing so bad I can't.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:42 PM

121 posts, read 102,197 times
I know this is an old topic but it's interesting to hear how people balance their time! I work 40 hours a week with a 30 minute commute (on average) each day. I basically wake up, get dressed, make breakfast, take my dog on a walk, feed the dog, check email, and then go to work. After work, I'll do errands maybe 3 out of 5 days getting home between 5-5:30. Then I take the dog on a long walk, make dinner (I actually love to cook and find it relaxing), go online, do work from home (I work at a school so a 40 hour work week is sadly really 40 paid hours with 10 hours of "volunteering" my time to do paperwork), take my dog on another walk, shower, and watch movies. I'm trying to lose weight and ordered a meal delivery service for weight loss, so I'm planning to increase my exercise since instead of spending 45 minutes cooking/cleaning, I can just heat something up. During the week I don't really go out for "fun" since my energy level is gone by the end of the day (I work with kids with behavior problems). I maybe do some social activity during the week once every 2 weeks just to meet people.

If I could afford to work part time, I would probably do that.

When I was in my mid 20s, I don't know how I did it. I went to grad school full time, worked 3-5 days a week from 7:30-2:30, and had a commute of 1 hour each day. I also was in better shape. I guess it was age.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:51 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Working 60 hours a week is a walk in the park if you have decent time management skills. There are 168 hours in a week, so even if you work 60 hours a week, that still leaves 108 hours for sleep and anything else you might want to do. Assuming you get 8 hours of sleep a night, that still leaves 52 hours a week which can be spent going out with friends, working out, watching tv, surfing the net, etc.

However, things legitimately get tough once you're up around 80-90 hours a week like many lower level Wall Street types are. At that point, you'll have very little or no social life.

Amen. Long ago, I was averaging about 60 hours a week, still caught almost all Met games, at least 6 annually at the park.

Played tennis Saturday and Sunday and went to eat after or NYC after cleaning up, which consumed 20-22 hours.

But 60 hrs work, 22 for tennis and after activities, 15 hours watching sports..still left 71 hours, or 10 per day, for everything else.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:08 AM

367 posts, read 488,034 times
I know Doctors that have worked for 70 plus hours a week for 20 years straight, they seem pretty healthy to me. I think these guys are making good money and when they see there networth growing they get addicted to the money.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:31 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I know Doctors that have worked for 70 plus hours a week for 20 years straight, they seem pretty healthy to me. I think these guys are making good money and when they see there networth growing they get addicted to the money.
I think some people have a greater tolerance than others for working long hours and not having time for a life. The problem is, those with grater tolerance try to fore their lifestyle on the rest of us.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I think some people have a greater tolerance than others for working long hours and not having time for a life. The problem is, those with grater tolerance try to fore their lifestyle on the rest of us.
Sorry about the typos. It won't let me edit my post. I meant to say:

I think some people have a greater tolerance than others for working long hours and not having time for a life. The problem is, those with greater tolerance try to force their lifestyle on the rest of us.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I work 70 per week, sometimes more. I don't have much of a social life, but the money helps me get over it.
I feel sorry for you and I really do mean it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment