Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It is not about need. It is about attracting top talent. <100k buys you garbage for that job.

Who would I be attracting? That 100k would be the salary I volunteered to take.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

Add in a Wall St secretary would make 70 or more, as even they get bonuses.

It is one thing to question CEO pay at 400x average worker, but 3 is even sillier in the other direction.

It destroyed his entire posts' credibility.

Again, the point that NEITHER OF YOU seemed to understand (HSNQ is on ignore and I only saw that post through bobtn's) is that the OP asked what I WOULD DO IF I WAS CEO. That means my 100k salary that I VOLUNTEERED TO TAKE for the position of CEO. I would not need to "attract a CEO" with some ridiculous package built to compete with other companies ridiculous packages.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Again, the point that NEITHER OF YOU seemed to understand (HSNQ is on ignore and I only saw that post through bobtn's) is that the OP asked what I WOULD DO IF I WAS CEO. That means my 100k salary that I VOLUNTEERED TO TAKE for the position of CEO. I would not need to "attract a CEO" with some ridiculous package built to compete with other companies ridiculous packages.
I'd have no problem with anyone volunteering and if deemed qualified working for whatever they wish, but I also have no issue with mega million CEOs when shareholder value rises many times that. I have NO confidence at salary leevls like Rambler wanted REQUIRED 3x max, only idiots would seek the job.

Fortune 500 profits are at a record highs, a sign executive leadership is working. They are not there to be a charity hiring the masses.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
I'd have no problem with anyone volunteering and if deemed qualified working for whatever they wish, but I also have no issue with mega million CEOs when shareholder value rises many times that. I have NO confidence at salary leevls like Rambler wanted REQUIRED 3x max, only idiots would seek the job.

Fortune 500 profits are at a record highs, a sign executive leadership is working. They are not there to be a charity hiring the masses.
Geez... confused about the person you're insulting now? I never said anything about 3x required max - that was Randomdude or somebody else.

All I said is we need to stop rewarding executives for failure - golden parachutes, etc. The common worker doesn't get rewarded for failure (except at really stupid companies), so there's no reason to shell out millions to reward failed leaders. I think we can all agree on that, at least those of us who are qualified to comment on this subject.

Still continuing your rants against the unemployed, I see. Yes, the economy is working great - nevermind all the people out of work! Those who are paid absurdly well include the bank leaders, who got Bailed Out, but we should clearly pay them a fortune for their quality leadership! And we should clearly pay corporate leaders a ton of money when they can't keep their companies going without gutting their staff since employing workers cuts into their cash hording! So long as the corporations end up with all the money, all is well!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I actually didnt even say that, I said I would limit my own personal salary to 3x the lowest worker.

Moderator cut: orphaned
You never answered my question.... is it because you realized your plan wouldn't work?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-20-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You never answered my question.... is it because you realized your plan wouldn't work?

No, its because I got side tracked by a bit of work at my job, before responding to it, and never got back to it. If I remember, Ill deal with that post Monday.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
This is what the CEO of Lenovo does: DailyTech - Lenovo CEO Gives His $3 Million USD Bonus to 10,000 Employees

I couldn't be prouder to be a ThinkPad user.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Geez... confused about the person you're insulting now? I never said anything about 3x required max - that was Randomdude or somebody else.

All I said is we need to stop rewarding executives for failure - golden parachutes, etc.
Thought it was you, sorry about that. It is a crazy concept, although I agree with you on most golden parachutes. I'd gladly give it to execs like Mulally who went from stable Boeing to Ford at a very dangerous time, but I do not like it given to execs taking the helm at stable companies.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
How any rant-is every difference of opinion from yours a rant? If not, how about providing specific instances you'd call a rant. I'm curious to see how you are categorizing.
I do agree with incentives to take over failing companies, although if the new guy completely doesn't try, well... that incentive might need to be toned down, IMHO. Long story short - what's good for the worker-bees is good for the queen bee, even if the scale is different. Failure should not be rewarded in either case.

As for rants, in one of your earlier posts on this thead (the one where you confused me for somebody else) you finished your post with basically: "corporations are not here to provide jobs, so suck it up!" I really don't see a connection between your comment and what this thread is about... I mean, we get it... You value corporate profits over people's jobs... you've said that plenty of times...

Last edited by Rambler123; 07-20-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You value corporate profits over people's jobs... you've said that plenty of times...
Healthy profit levels on a sutained basis = Healthy job stability. They go hand in hand, most of the 8 million axed were fired AFTER corp profits tanked in 2007 and 2008. That reaction after the profits tanked is the norm. The problem for the unemployed is upon cutting 8 million, corps did not miss a beat in getting their work done, so yes, the only reason to add folks back would be outright charity, and yes, that would be foolish.

But the pie need not be fixed, and a climate which viewed business as a partner, not an enemy, might bring that back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment