Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

I cannot tell you how many inquiries I've received from jobseekers over the years with terrible grammar, poor spelling, and plain old murky thinking. I don't care what position I'm trying to fill. If someone cannot write basic communication without grammatical errors, I'm not going to hire them.

I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here's Why. - Kyle Wiens - Harvard Business Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If someone cannot write basic communication without grammatical errors(,)(then) I'm not going to hire them.
I'm totally on board with the principle and especially as regards the "murky thinking" (great phrase)
but there are also a lot of so called grammar experts who will assert as error what are just favored shibboleths...
poorly taught or poorly remembered errors of their own.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Loved this remark in the comments section:

"Good grammar is the difference between those who know their sh*t and those who don't know they're sh*t."

Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Loved this remark in the comments section:

"Good grammar is the difference between those who know their sh*t and those who don't know they're sh*t."
The comment is pretty funny. I've always been amazed by how little an emphasis is put on grammar and spelling in the business world. I've dealt with a number of clients and vendors who send terribly written communications. Personally, I feel that that is a poor reflection on professional skills. I place a heavy emphasis on sending out well written communications, though I'm the first to admit that I'm not perfect. I feel pretty terrible when I catch a grammatical/spelling error in a communication I sent off.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
Yes! I agree with this writer. I cringe when reading any public forums. So many than/then, its/it's, your/you're type of errors. And the ubiquitous "should of/would of/could of." Argh.

I throw any resume with typos and incorrect grammar in the trash. I received one resume recently where a young woman who has lived here all her life could not spell the name of our town. There is no such place as TORRENCE, CALIFORNIA.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I've always been amazed by how little an emphasis is put on grammar and spelling in the business world.
I can only speak for my business, and it may apply to others, but globalization has really taken the importance of perfect grammar out of the business environment.

For example, I am dealing with employees located all over the world, and plenty of non-native English speakers right in the office. Most of these people will take years, if ever, to get to a native level of English, or close to it. The employees overseas will never do so as the only time they use English is during work.

It has come to the realization that it is really not that important, so as long as they can convey the idea properly. Business is not impacted, and it has never been a problem. It may be that expectation of perfection is more of an efficiency inhibitor than something that contributes postively to a business.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I agree. I hate it when people use incorrect grammar too. I always wonder what their thinking.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I can only speak for my business, and it may apply to others, but globalization has really taken the importance of perfect grammar out of the business environment.

For example, I am dealing with employees located all over the world, and plenty of non-native English speakers right in the office. Most of these people will take years, if ever, to get to a native level of English, or close to it. The employees overseas will never do so as the only time they use English is during work.

It has come to the realization that it is really not that important, so as long as they can convey the idea properly. Business is not impacted, and it has never been a problem. It may be that expectation of perfection is more of an efficiency inhibitor than something that contributes postively to a business.
Your points are true. I guess the irony of it is when you send a resume in to an employer that has a spelling error in it, it supposedly gets tossed aside.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree. I hate it when people use incorrect grammar too. I always wonder what their thinking.

Commas save lives.

Example:

Let's eat grandpa!

OR

Let's eat, grandpa!

Which would you rather?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Interesting. I've never landed a job because of my good grammar and spelling.

What matters ultimately, regardless of any other bullcrap folks bring up, is industry-specific experience. If you don't have that, you and whatever else you have is worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment