Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these majors would appear to suit my needs, given the information I provided?
Architecture 0 0%
Civil Engineering 3 16.67%
Education 1 5.56%
Something Else 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times

Advertisements

I took both the Holland and MBTI tests:

Holland Code:

Artistic: 17
Investigative: 16
Social: 7
Enterprising: 6
Coventional: 5
Realistic: 3

(AIS)

MBTI Type:

Extroverted: 56.750%
iNtuitive: 83.995%
Feeling: 56.333%
Percieving: 87.667%

(ENFP)

I need a major that can be used for many jobs, especially in the Artistic-Investigative range. Money stops being important to me past 70K. I have a passion for travel, and wish to have two to three children, but beyond that I feel no desire to live in an expensive manner. I am wondering if architecture would be a good major or if I should go with something generic like Civil Engineering. I wil subscribe to this topic as it is very important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Computer Science or IT because of the very high I and P and high investigation and artistic. You would have fun troubleshooting and solving complex IT issues...and also doing analysis.

I don't think there are a lot of job opportunities for architects.

actuarial science might be of interest to you. You would work mostly with the numbers that drive insurance companies...related to risk of claims and the associated premiums that need to be charged given the risk.

Or go for an MD and be a radiologist. That is the ultimate in investigative work from the medical side. diagnosis based on images.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Majoring in civil engineering (and getting a masters) was the absolute biggest mistake of my life. Engineering firms treat us employees like slaves and pay us almost nothing, and it is useless for any other field. I would suggest majoring in anything other than civil engineering.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
10 Highest-Paid Engineering Specialties - Career Advice Article

From the top:

Petroleum engineers are top with average annual earnings of $127,970.

Computer hardware engineers $101,600

Nuclear engineers $101,500

Aerospace engineers: $99,000

Chemical engineers $94,590

Civil engineers and architects are toward the bottom.

The current recession has totally decimated the architectural field. I see it every day and it's sad.

If someone is looking for a career in engineering he might want to think about becoming an FPE or Fire Protection Engineer where median compensation is $113,748.

FPE as a Career

Quote:
Fire protection engineers with upwards of 15 years work experience earn the greatest salaries in the field. It is common for senior-level fire protection engineers to make over $128,000 per year.
What is needed is a combination of PE and chemical engineer.

Last edited by nicet4; 05-04-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
I'm not really familiar with the Holland Code, but I'm a bit of an MBTI geek. Just looking at ENFP I'd say education, but chances are you wouldn't feel comfortable teaching at the elementary level, which is dominated by Sensing Judgers (organized, conventional, detail oriented types).

Maybe you could apply the Education degree to become a trainer/advocate for an organization you feel strongly about (charity, NGO, environmental activist group, etc.), or teach older kids/adults. You might find that type of work rewarding (of course "rewarding" meaning "emotionally rewarding", not "financially rewarding" to the degree of the other options.)

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
10 Highest-Paid Engineering Specialties - Career Advice Article

From the top:

Petroleum engineers are top with average annual earnings of $127,970.

Computer hardware engineers $101,600

Nuclear engineers $101,500

Aerospace engineers: $99,000

Chemical engineers $94,590

Civil engineers and architects are toward the bottom.

The current recession has totally decimated the architectural field. I see it every day and it's sad.

If someone is looking for a career in engineering he might want to think about becoming an FPE or Fire Protection Engineer where median compensation is $113,748.

FPE as a Career

What is needed is a combination of PE and chemical engineer.
The problem is, the compensation change with time. Oil is in the middle of a boom market, but oil is incredible cyclical. Once it pops, petroleum engineering will likely fall lower down that list. Just the same, once the economy and construction picks up, those fields listed at the bottom will likely climb. Even aerospace can wax and wane. All depends how many airplanes are being demanded at the time. What happens when the military budget gets a haircut?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
A friend of mine mentioned something called project management engineering. What is that like?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
A friend of mine mentioned something called project management engineering. What is that like?
Isn't this a duplicate thread?

Project Managers are Civil Engineers who boss around lower Civil Engineers. It's pretty much as simple as that.

In all honesty, I would go with pharmacy. My mom told me to do that too, and I similarly told her it sounded too boring. Now, I wish I had listened.

It pays great, the hours are awesome, and it's an easy job. You also don't have to deal with office politics.

All jobs suck anyway, so to have a great paying job where you only have to work 30-35 hours is awesome.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Petroleum engineering is the way to go if you can handle the math as it seems you can. Great pay and benefits along with super challenging technical issues to address, with a chance to work all over the globe. Fossil Fuels will be a huge part of our global energy equation as long as we have a prosperous economy, if the economy tanks, no career is really good or safe

Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Petroleum engineering is the way to go if you can handle the math as it seems you can. Great pay and benefits along with super challenging technical issues to address, with a chance to work all over the globe. Fossil Fuels will be a huge part of our global energy equation as long as we have a prosperous economy, if the economy tanks, no career is really good or safe
All kinds of moral issues with petroleum engineering.

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment