Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Are you advocating ways to break the law? That doesn't sound very smart.
When you apply, do you disclose your disability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wasn't talking about empl;oyment law, I was referring to laws regarding firing employees, especially those of a protected class. It happened to me 3x---and not a thing was done. That's why I work at home now. Of course I won't consult an attorney for purposes of this discussion---why spend the money? I know what their response would be, because I consulted attornies for my past cases. Their advice is always----$100/hour + $2000 retainer
And yet many, many people are stupid enough to go after that lawsuit. It is quickly thrown out, but it costs a company a significant amount of money, time, and bad PR.

Not everyone is as smart as you.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I send a very generic response to all solicited resumes that goes something like this:

"Thank you for your interest in Company XYZ. We have reviewed your resume and while your credentials are impressive, we have decided to pursue a different candidate."

And I've gotten "hate" mail back after sending that. Employers can't win.

Hey! are you calling me FAT?! You hate Fat people.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Hey! are you calling me FAT?! You hate Fat people.
I don't hate fat people. I hate people who won't take personal responsibility for their health and expect the taxpayer to support them as a result.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And yet many, many people are stupid enough to go after that lawsuit. It is quickly thrown out, but it costs a company a significant amount of money, time, and bad PR.

Not everyone is as smart as you.
and many times its's not a victory they are looking for but a settlement. It cost $150,000 to defend yourself and win where you might get some back but most likely very little if anything, so you spend $10,000, offer them $10,000 to make it go away and you still save $130,000. Anyone who thinks lawsuits are filed and fought strickly on the merits is out to lunch!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Nice of him to post one of his own rejection letters!
hey, I'm not the chronic unemployed lser, so careful where you throw those stones

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
hey, I'm not the chronic unemployed lser, so careful where you throw those stones
I graduated 3rd in my class with an engineering degree and have 10 years experience in the field, so if I'm a "loser," you're surely something further down the chain.

But hey - keeping tossing stones and mocking the unemployed. Surely, it'll never come back to haunt you.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Rambler--Are you willing to relocate? What type of engineer are you? I know of an unadvertised opening in New England, but I'm not sure what type of engineer you are.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Rambler--Are you willing to relocate? What type of engineer are you? I know of an unadvertised opening in New England, but I'm not sure what type of engineer you are.
Mechanical engineer - please shoot me a private email with details - not sure if relocation is possible at this moment, but I'll have to look it over. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
More empty words from somebody itching for a fight... Oh, and I graduated 3rd in my class with an engineering degree and have 10 years experience in the field, so if I'm a "loser," you're surely something further down the chain.

But hey - keeping tossing stones and mocking the unemployed. Surely, it'll never come back to haunt you.
Oh Yeah!!!

Well I graduated 19 out of 36 of my high school class with just a high school diploma.

I have 26 years experience doing whatever the company ask me to do because they are paying me to do work they tell me to do.

I am not in management, not an executive, not a "professional" or anything like that cause I just be that little worker.

YET, I make mid 6 figures for total monetary compensation. I get to retire with a full pension at age 49. I now travel all over the world at company expense. I get to meet poeple many just read about in newspapers. I have learned 6 languages while working my butt off for the man. Although I don't rate the charm and envy or glamor of some highly educated engineer, there are CEO's of engineering firms who have my cell number on their cell phone so they can call and ask for my assistance when they need it. This little nobody of a HS gard has managed to make and have friends all over the world mainly cause Ive been all over the world and they know that I can deliver and solve the problem they have. AND, I have had my share of company executives from all over tell me that if I ever get tired of what I do, please contact them as they would love to have me work for them.

My friend, stacked next to you, I can throw boulders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment