Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times

Advertisements

Last Tuesday, my wife started a new job. It is a temp-to-perm job in which she'll become permanent in 90 days. The pay is low, benefits are not great, and her co-workers are a lot older than her. She mainly took the job because she was having a tough time finding employment.

A few days ago, she heard from another company she had previously applied to. Because the opportunity sounded good, she went in for an interview this morning. The job is exactly what she wants to do, and they offer more pay, better benefits, better corporate culture, and more promotion opportunities. They seemed to love her, and may offer her the position in the next few days.

She feels really guilty about possibly leaving her current company, especially since she's supposed to help fill in for a woman going on leave in 2 weeks. Is it ethical for her to quit and move on to the new position? Is 2 weeks notice customary even though she just started? Should she make up an excuse if she quits, or just be straight forward and honest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Her early departure may raise an eyebrow or two, but it's not unethical as long as she gives adequate notice (2 weeks is customary) and is honest with her current employer. Since she is so new, the current employer may just cut her since she's probably still training and isn't providing much of a return for the company yet.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,373 times
She shouldn't feel guilty at all. You gotta do what you gotta do. Your wife should not pass up an opportunity to do a job she that she wants to do for more money and better benefits. If it was me I think I would just be honest when quitting. I'd also give two weeks. Since she hasn't been at the job long they may not want her to stay the two weeks. They may be mad at her for leaving so soon. In the end though, you have to do whats best for you.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Give notice, she honestly doesn't even need to say anything as far as a reason (that's what at-will employment means) .. but if they ask, I'd be honest. "A better opportunity came along".

Way to go!!! Good for her, better environment, better benefits - now is not the time to feel guilty or be sad, now is the time to CELEBRATE!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Better job w/benefits now available?

And she'd have to leave a temp position?

What long term obligation does she have to the current employer as a temp? IMO, none.

The employer can contact the temp agency and hire another person to replace her. If they can't, that's their problem ... don't make it yours. That's the name of the game in temp work.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
She owes here allegiance to herself, not an employer that has her on a trial assignment. This is a simple business decision... resign with minimal notice and take the better position and feel good about it.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Last Tuesday, my wife started a new job. It is a temp-to-perm job in which she'll become permanent in 90 days. The pay is low, benefits are not great, and her co-workers are a lot older than her. She mainly took the job because she was having a tough time finding employment.

A few days ago, she heard from another company she had previously applied to. Because the opportunity sounded good, she went in for an interview this morning. The job is exactly what she wants to do, and they offer more pay, better benefits, better corporate culture, and more promotion opportunities. They seemed to love her, and may offer her the position in the next few days.

She feels really guilty about possibly leaving her current company, especially since she's supposed to help fill in for a woman going on leave in 2 weeks. Is it ethical for her to quit and move on to the new position? Is 2 weeks notice customary even though she just started? Should she make up an excuse if she quits, or just be straight forward and honest?
She should not feel guilty. The position she is currently at is temp to perm, meaning that they have not committed to her, not she to them. Why would you stay at a low paying job because you feel bad for them? She owes them nothing. When the new place offers her a job, ask them to put it in writing. And then she can explain to her current employers she has a new and better offer. If they feel "guilty" then they can match it!!!

Greenie

Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Do what you want! Life is short! Im done with this job by 2008 and Im going to Vegas and Phoenix to party through Christmas into January! At which point I'll stay or comeback! Chances are I'll be back by March but it's gonna be a party!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I'm currently in a temp to perm position and that means either side can bail out at any point. Go for it.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
When was the last time you were treated well by an employer?

Do what's best for your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment