Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're trying to relocate (within the state - not long-distance) and I found some jobs for my husband, but we don't know anybody at these companies. I know online applications can be a real long shot. Any tips for getting an interview without an "in"?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
If you have LinkedIn, you can look for employees within companies who you may have some kind of connection to such as same college and etc. I usually look for an internal recruiter/HR person in LinkedIn at the companies I am interested in and then send my resume off to them. Occasionally, I look for a manager in the division of the job that was posted and then email my resume to them. You will be surprised at how well this works since sometimes you might strike gold and actually send it to the hiring manager or someone who knows the hiring manager.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Hi all,
We're trying to relocate (within the state - not long-distance) and I found some jobs for my husband, but we don't know anybody at these companies. I know online applications can be a real long shot. Any tips for getting an interview without an "in"?

Thanks!
Why do you think you need an "IN" to get a job over applying normally? And "In" may help, but it may also be nothing.

Be very careful about these "In" and "connections" as a lot of it is propoganda and hype. You have the groups that promote "networking" who need to make you feel that that is the only way to get a job. They do it because thats their business to run networking so they need you to buy into the belief, otherwise why affiliate yourself with that group?

The second is a bit more sad. In todays shifting emplyment picture, many are finding out that their value to a company or industry has evaporated. They go out every day hunting for the job only to find out so many others are superior to them in education and expereinces, or that their specialty isn;t as special as they throught. As time goes by, the start to join the long-term unemployed. Now they can say that they lack the education experiences or skill needed in today's employment world, but that means that the issue is with themself. Or, they can find some exccuse to make it seems like its not really them, but something else. What is more convinient than to claim that although they are more than qualifed, they are not getting the job due to inside favoritism and such. That means it's not them, but others. It's not my fault, but their fault... A very sad excuse.

Apply for the job as best you can and don't ever not apply because you think an "IN" is required, because the day you stop applying is the day your qualifiaction would have got you hired! If you start believing that an "IN" is needed, thats when you become another of those unemployed CD posters who responds to every post that its "Every One Elses Fault, Not Mine!"..........

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I have never gotten a job from a friend or a referral. Go for it, put your best foot forward.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
It's possible, especially at places like banks or other chain stores. You better hope to ace interviews, though.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Why do you think you need an "IN" to get a job over applying normally? And "In" may help, but it may also be nothing.

Be very careful about these "In" and "connections" as a lot of it is propoganda and hype. You have the groups that promote "networking" who need to make you feel that that is the only way to get a job. They do it because thats their business to run networking so they need you to buy into the belief, otherwise why affiliate yourself with that group?

The second is a bit more sad. In todays shifting emplyment picture, many are finding out that their value to a company or industry has evaporated. They go out every day hunting for the job only to find out so many others are superior to them in education and expereinces, or that their specialty isn;t as special as they throught. As time goes by, the start to join the long-term unemployed. Now they can say that they lack the education experiences or skill needed in today's employment world, but that means that the issue is with themself. Or, they can find some exccuse to make it seems like its not really them, but something else. What is more convinient than to claim that although they are more than qualifed, they are not getting the job due to inside favoritism and such. That means it's not them, but others. It's not my fault, but their fault... A very sad excuse.

Apply for the job as best you can and don't ever not apply because you think an "IN" is required, because the day you stop applying is the day your qualifiaction would have got you hired! If you start believing that an "IN" is needed, thats when you become another of those unemployed CD posters who responds to every post that its "Every One Elses Fault, Not Mine!"..........
I cannot yet rep you again although you richly deserve it.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:03 AM

149 posts, read 496,867 times
Use linkedin.com .... contact only 1st degree and 2nd degree connections. These produce the best results for me.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times
Lintu,

It's definitely possible to get the job without having someone on the inside. If our only hope of getting jobs was to have someone we knew working for each target company, we'd be in bad shape. I've gotten several jobs without knowing anyone who worked for those employers.

Interviewing, Resume and Job Hunting Tips

Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!

It HELPS a lot but it's not the only way to get hired at a company. Most of the time you don't get a job because of a "Inside Connect" it's because someone you know is friends with that Inside Connect.

It's not about you who know, it's about who your friends KNOW

Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
20-30% of jobs are attained without networking. So it's very possible, but just much harder. I suggest you use a two-pronged approach. Continue with cold applications as others have suggested. But also get involved into the area you're looking to move to. Join the country club, tennis club, church, etc. Get to know people. Have dinners. See what comes about.

Last edited by NJBest; 08-02-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment