Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times

Advertisements

So we all had sort of a nice little surprise today at work this morning. They restructured our department and changed the title of our position. In addition, they changed our status from non-exempt to exempt. I'm currently receiving a yearly salary, but I'm also eligible for OT pay. With the new position, I will receive an 8% increase in salary, but I will be exempt from OT pay.

Essentially, the company offered us a new position (in title only). They delivered all the specifics of the job as well as the official offer letter. I have a few days until I need to accept or decline the offer.

Nothing will change in the position as far as duties (at least yet). But my concern is this: since we are no longer eligible for OT pay, the longer the hours I work (which I'm guessing is in their game plan), the less I'm essentially making. The 8% pay bump was a nice gesture, but it's really only going to equate to a few grand per year (less after taxes), which is only maybe a couple hundred dollars extra in my pay check (if that) for giving up my current ability to earn OT pay. When they were discussing the changes with us, and before they sent any offer sheets, I was anticipating a much bigger pay increase for this change in status.

My question is this: would you consider asking them if they are open to negotiation on the salary? They are ultimately offering us a new position.

Edited to add: We tend to put in a lot of OT during month ends, quarter ends, and year ends to give you an idea of what we'll be losing out on.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
If the 8% increase coincides to the average increase from over-time (even if not exact), its a way for the company to control cost by knowing wages in advance (predicatable expense) versus hoping they don't go over a certain amount.

For you, its a question of if the wage increase comes close to your projected wages if paid overtime. There is a double thinking to look at. Is the overtime you have been receiving is due to its availablity, but not just because the work was there. This is along the lines that the company allows the overtime because the work requires it, but the need is there because overtime is available (or to be blunt, the work requires overtime not because its needed but because peopkle can get awayu with working overtime). Now, if the overtime hours wrere on your dime, do you belive the work would or could be done without incuring overtime? (or to be blunt, you get it done without needing to use overtime). If it can be done without overtime if yuo decide to just make that happen, the 8% may be a raise. But if there is nothing you can control and you will have to work extra hours no matter what, you have to put pen to pencil and see how far behind it puts you.

One important factor is you have to decide the choice. What choices do you have? If you say no, what happens. If its a take it or leave only option, what happens if you leave? Lots to think about,a nd you know best where in the picture you fall as far as the work load, overtime and compensation.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
are you familiar with FLSA overtime exemption guidelines? Is the nature of the work actually OT exempt work?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
are you familiar with FLSA overtime exemption guidelines? Is the nature of the work actually OT exempt work?
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

Yes, I read over this site and I believe I would fall under the Exempt Administrative or Professional duties. I meet all of the requirements.

Last edited by Tekkie; 08-02-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
One important factor is you have to decide the choice. What choices do you have? If you say no, what happens. If its a take it or leave only option, what happens if you leave? Lots to think about,a nd you know best where in the picture you fall as far as the work load, overtime and compensation.
Actually, that's a good question. I was thinking about that yesterday myself. Does not accepting imply that I quit? Not sure really. Well, I have a couple more days to ponder it. I have an interview this afternoon with another employer, and another one next Tuesday as well. So I'm going to weigh my options. I might just accept this position for now, and then wait to see if I get an offer from either of these other places and what they are in comparison. Not really a bad position to be in.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
First thing I would do is the math. Calculate what you make currently with overtime assuming this is somewhat steady and then compare that to the salary plus the 8%. Which is more?

1. If the salary plus 8% is about equal seems like a neutral change.
2. If the salary plus 8% is more seems like a good thing.
3. If the salary plus 8% is less seems like a bad thing.

If #3 is the case then I would then try and figure out if that was the "market rate" for that position at other companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment