Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 30,616 times

Advertisements

I did that once at the end of the dotcom boom. The 2 week vacation turned into 4 weeks. I thought I got very lucky since the job market died after that. I would never do that again even if I hated the boss. I would say suck it up, but we need to hear your side of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Yep, I consider walking away from my job every day. But you have to consider how much harder your life would be when you're unemployed and can't make ends meet with the obligations you have. It's those obligations that have us by the balls, literally and/or figuratively.

My advice: get a hobby( if you don't have one), something that you can look forward to. Join the gym, moreso than physical health it keeps you energized mentally as well. Start updating your resume and get it out there. Join a volunteer group, a book club, something where you can network with people and possibly make connections that can lead to a job elsewhere. In the short-term, take a vacation, doesn't have to be anything big or expensive, just something to break the monotony. Go camping, take a weekend's stay at a nice hotel and use all the facilities. Right now you're obviously in a rut and you need to break it somehow.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Given that you have a family to support, you would be making an exceptionally selfish decision if you chose to quit without something else lined up.

Is there some reason you aren't already looking for another job at this point?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It is plain stupid to quit a job without having anything lined up.

Did you know that employers desire people who are already employed? Some will pay a premium for already employed talent.

To leave a job with no savings or plan with people depending on you is irresponsible.
Please reread. The OP never said that they don't have savings.

P.S. Your bold button is on lock.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
I did what the OP is considering. My boss was an abusive bully and after a year there the job was seriously affecting my health. Me and the other senior guy (out of four) quit at the same time, and the boss was left with egg on his face.

That was three months ago, and I haven't been able to find a new job, but then my sights are set high. I want a -better- job, not just another bottom-of-the-barrel job like that one installing Dish. I haven't regretted for a minute leaving that place, and I thank my lucky stars every day I don't have to hear from him anymore, even though I only have a couple more months' of savings. I'm about to take the PMP exam, and if I pass it should make it easier to get a good job. If nothing else, I can always end it.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,495 times
Thanks for the responses so far, would definitely like to hear from others. The previous poster who referenced the bully boss is similar to my situation. For those who asked, I am looking aggressively and have been for a month or so. So far, nothing, and I know that if I'm out of work it will be harder to get an interview.

I just keep coming back to the quality of life argument. Obviously I have responsibilities to my family and I acknowledge that. But when your job is impacting your emotional well being, your sleeping habits, your stress levels even while out of the office, don't you owe it to yourself to look for a different option? Life is too short.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM

306 posts, read 431,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Curious to hear from others if anyone has ever quit a job with no other job leads. Also curious to hear from those who are considering it. I have a white collar job, make decent money, and just hate it. I've been here 14 years and I'm tired of doing the same thing. Also, the expectations and pressure have increased dramatically.

I am married with 2 young kids and a mortgage so this would definitely be irresponsible. I do have savings and my wife isn't currently working but she is interested in getting back into the workforce.

I know the logical response is this is crazy and stupid and foolish, but I feel like at some point you have to consider your quality of life and whether or not it is all worth it. I'm not sleeping, having constant stress and anxiety, etc etc. I know I have it very good compared to some but this isn't any way to live.
I did this before, but the circumstances allowed me to. If I had two kids to look out for then I wouldn't have done it. You've got money saved up but you have no way of knowing when you'll get another offer. Hold out until you can get something.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
If you've been there 14 years, then you can hang on a little longer while you look for another job. Daydream about quitting while you look for something else, but don't do it. It would be beyond foolish. With the economy the way it is, it is nearly impossible to find a job without actually having one. I know some really educated, successful people in high-demand fields who have been out of work for many - yes, many - years, because no one wants to hire you when you are unemployed.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
OP, I understand your stress. My husband's last job that brought us to HELLHOLE Albany was a terribly stressful one and he was upset all the time until they fired him. He said every day they raised the bar higher and he had 2 psycho bosses who just yelled at him all the time.

It's horrible either way. If you have money problems, and believe me, they find you even if you are frugal and plan, it will make your life a different stress.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
. For those who asked, I am looking aggressively and have been for a month or so. So far, nothing, and I know that if I'm out of work it will be harder to get an interview.
Good to hear, and bear in mind, in 2012, a month looking is most likely similar to 3 days looking in 2007, so be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment