Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,551 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a mom and wife, who got into workforce after 5 years of career gap. I quit my career to raise my children. I accepted a position (first oppurtunity that came along) away from home in a city that is 20% more expansive than my home city. The circumstances were so, we thought if nothing else it will help me get my foot back in the workforce and assist in getting jobs near home in an year or so. After rent and weekend flights to home, this job pays for our family insurance. We don't save much, besides that there are other (unexpected) challenges associated with my being away from home. I have been in this job little over a month but have employment history of more than a decade with previous employers.
There is an opening just 15 mins away from home. I wish to apply and see how it goes. How should I write my cover letter so it does not make me look like ungrateful for what I have (considering so many people are w/o jobs in this economy). My current job is rewarding & I hope to learn a lot in one year; but yearn to be back home with my family at the same time.
How should I word it when (if) asked in interview that why I wish to leave from current job in just couple of months?
How should I handle professional references? Should I just mention previous employer references and 'NO' to 'can we contact your current employer' question on application?
Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niki52 View Post

1. How should I write my cover letter so it does not make me look like ungrateful for what I have (considering so many people are w/o jobs in this economy).

2. How should I word it when (if) asked in interview that why I wish to leave from current job in just couple of months?

3. How should I handle professional references? Should I just mention previous employer references and 'NO' to 'can we contact your current employer' question on application?
Thank you,
1. Write the same cover letter that you would write to any prospective employer. Keep it short, simple and professional; tell them why you're interested in their particular company and the position, and just tell them that you'd welcome the opportunity to meet with them.

2. Keep it simple and honest and as you've basically described here. You looked forward to getting back into the job market, you really like the job and are happy there but the long commute and the time away from home is unfortunately proving more of a burden that you'd anticipated. And the initial "no" to contacting your current employer is fine - if you're interviewed then the reason for that will become clear.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niki52 View Post
Hi,
I am a mom and wife, who got into workforce after 5 years of career gap. I quit my career to raise my children. I accepted a position (first oppurtunity that came along) away from home in a city that is 20% more expansive than my home city. The circumstances were so, we thought if nothing else it will help me get my foot back in the workforce and assist in getting jobs near home in an year or so. After rent and weekend flights to home, this job pays for our family insurance. We don't save much, besides that there are other (unexpected) challenges associated with my being away from home. I have been in this job little over a month but have employment history of more than a decade with previous employers.
There is an opening just 15 mins away from home. I wish to apply and see how it goes. How should I write my cover letter so it does not make me look like ungrateful for what I have (considering so many people are w/o jobs in this economy). My current job is rewarding & I hope to learn a lot in one year; but yearn to be back home with my family at the same time.
How should I word it when (if) asked in interview that why I wish to leave from current job in just couple of months?
How should I handle professional references? Should I just mention previous employer references and 'NO' to 'can we contact your current employer' question on application?
Thank you,
Your post is very confusing to me.

First of all, you quit to raise your children - but only for 5 years? How are your children raised in 5 years? I don't get that.

Secondly, moving away showed a monumental poor decision. You found this out, apparently, the hard way. It's going to look REALLY BAD to future employers. Really bad.

I would just not even mention it. Most likely, since the job was of such short duration it won't "show up" anywhere. I would just pretend it never happened and proceed to find a job with the same resume, etc., that you did previously.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
I wouldn't mention it. If it comes up, just tell them you would rather be at home.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,515,602 times
Dont say anything in the cover letter about your current position and why you are wanting to leave it. Let them ask in the interview. Explain in one or two sentences that you LOVe the job and LOVE the company but you travel home on the weekends and the travel every week is difficult.

Then you stay quiet and wait for the next answer.

Your reason for leaving is no problem. They will be OK with it. they will go onto the next question quickly. they have a bunch of questions on their list so they need to move on in the conversation.

if you end up getting another job close to home within the next few months, then after your work at the place awhile, you simply leave off the short term job on your resume, if you choose. Or leave it if you choose. the travel/commute is a very common reason to resign. It really is no problem to future employers unless it is a similar commute. And it won't be.

Relax. And apply to as many local jobs that you can.

FYI.. They dont really care that you are leaving the other employer. they want to steal you away. They just dont want you to resign quickly. and because you live local, it's ok, no worry about that.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
And this folks, is why many employers won't even consider out of town applicants.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,551 times
I greatly appreciate the reponses and advice. Yes, I feel guilty to think of leaving so soon (GREAT job too!!) BUT I do not want to miss the oppurtunity to check if I can fit in job close to home. I work in public sector where positions like mine are opened usually March through Aug. So missing oppurtunity probably will mean waiting until next year.

My children were pre-teens (when childcare becomes unavailable & leaving them alone at home for extended hours during summer wasn't an option for us; unfortunately I did not have flexibility to work part-time or from home or take time off without pay) when I quit, they are in high school and college at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment