Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times

Advertisements

My old dentist was telling me recently about how at the dental conferences now they are training dentists to be more "entrepreneurial" in selling whitening treatments and excess, unneeded fillings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
As the world continues to overpopulate while fewer and fewer people continue to control the world's limited wealth and resources, I expect people as a whole to become more unethical and apathetic.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That can mean closing an automotive factory and putting thousands of people out of work who must support their families to save a few million dollars.
How is this "unethical"? Sometimes business owners need to make hard decisions in order to keep the company afloat. For a car manufacturer, what is worse - closing one plant and laying off those workers in order to keep the company profitable and operating, or not cutting costs and eventually having to go bankrupt and fold completely, putting every employee that they have out of work?

And why is the company losing money? Are people simply not buying new cars as often as they used to? Why not blame the general consumer marketplace for not buying more new cars and putting cash into that company to keep them going at full strength?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Met one arms dealer and he said..."I saved lives - I armed both sides."

Nice! I will use that line in the future.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM

264 posts, read 266,518 times
Most unethical: mortgage brokers and debt consolidators / mediators.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
How is this "unethical"? Sometimes business owners need to make hard decisions in order to keep the company afloat. For a car manufacturer, what is worse - closing one plant and laying off those workers in order to keep the company profitable and operating, or not cutting costs and eventually having to go bankrupt and fold completely, putting every employee that they have out of work?

And why is the company losing money? Are people simply not buying new cars as often as they used to? Why not blame the general consumer marketplace for not buying more new cars and putting cash into that company to keep them going at full strength?
Aside from this, "saving" a few million dollar" is not a reasonable estimated number. Try hundreds of millions at least. Labor costs might be in the low millions, but not the financed machinery, taxes, land, building, utilities, and everything else that goes with operating a factory. And if there is no work to be done, what exactly are the workers supposed to do during their shift? You can only clean the factory floor space, organize tooling and wash machinery so many times before it becomes obvious that the factory has no reason to be in operation.

I worked at a place where they had to stop putting the total sales numbers on the board. The workers equated that to profitability, yet no one had a clue how much it was costing the owners to keep the doors open.

Somehow, we are approaching a point where folks consider the business man himself the enemy. Wonder how that ends...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM

264 posts, read 266,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Somehow, we are approaching a point where folks consider the business man himself the enemy. Wonder how that ends...
It amazes me too. And even more the fact that from all of the countries in the world, this happens more and more often in America than Communist China.

Last edited by noworneveragain; 09-17-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I agree with this. However, when a company makes a decision to move operations overseas in order to be more profitable I find that unethical. The company's owners are putting people out of work and damaging a local economy, hence going against the great good.

I agree that it isn't fair to vilify all business owners though, just because some people choose profits over people.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I agree with this. However, when a company makes a decision to move operations overseas in order to be more profitable I find that unethical. The company's owners are putting people out of work and damaging a local economy, hence going against the great good.

I agree that it isn't fair to vilify all business owners though, just because some people choose profits over people.
Aren't they helping another local economy and giving work to other people? How is that unethical?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Aren't they helping another local economy and giving work to other people? How is that unethical?
Because certain industries, when they leave an area that has grown to rely on them for offshoot businesses, etc., create a void in that community that leads to economical collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment