Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Why is it that so often people think it is one thing that leads to success or failure?

Its a combination of events that lead to both, we live in a very complex global world were any number of things can impact one another.

To find a good job you have to have everything and some luck too.

1. Skillset
2. Good resume' and possibly cover letter
3. Education ( most often )
4. Networking
5. Timing
6. Location
7. Luck

If you don't have all of those good luck.
I'd say luck and timing is 90% of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,811 times
Personally, I think he is wrong. Obviously nobody would hire someone with no medical degree to be a doctor. But, most jobs really don't require that level of education and knowledge. I recently worked for a company that had lots of family members, in-laws, kids, and grandkids working there. Now, most of these people had college degrees but I'm willing to bet they wouldn't have gotten a cushy VP position as early in their career as they did.

Also, I was speaking with one of the employees who said one of the managers was his neighbor. He was really close to the guy's son and when he lost his previous job the manager's son asked his dad if there was something there he could do. The manager hired the guy to do some computer maintenance type things around the office.

So, knowing someone and having an in is an advantage in the workforce. I personally don't know anyone who would recommend an unqualified person for a position unless the person could be trained to do the job and the hiring manager was/is willing to take on training/mentoring. So, for that reason your cousin's hubby is wrong and your right, IMO.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,608,221 times
yeah, maybe he is getting at particular types of jobs, okay for the entry-level service jobs, minimum-wage jobs, it's more probably of who you know, but for professional career jobs such as engineering, architect, doctor, surgeon, FBI Agent, it's more of what you know

Old 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,811 times
^^^You can network your way into a highly skilled job like engineer, architect, doctor, lawyer, etc. But, you can't get a job like that without the required education and knowledge. Having a degree won't get you hired. But, having the required education and a good network will.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,322,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yeah, maybe he is getting at particular types of jobs, okay for the entry-level service jobs, minimum-wage jobs, it's more probably of who you know, but for professional career jobs such as engineering, architect, doctor, surgeon, FBI Agent, it's more of what you know
Well, again, it's a little of both. Earlier this year I was out of work. I was an experienced software engineer, so I was looking for a pretty high-level position. I had a network of people in my industry who gave me contacts. Sure, I still had to interview with them to prove my skills, but the networking enabled me to bypass the stacks of resumes and go straight to the hiring managers. After all, when my old boss tells his friend, "you should take a look at EdJS, I've worked with him for years and he's a great programmer," he tends to listen. And that's how I got my current job.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,834,620 times
Networking is a fleeting term...It's some sort of corporate slang for talking to as many people as possible and hoping through sheer numbers that you might increase your chances of receiving some sort of benefit. EVERYONE is "networking"..I really think it's a dumb term- at 24 year old upstart might be all about net working but contacts have to mean something...Older experienced people develop real contacts over time- trusted associates...who they know are solid people.

The original "networking" was family- extended family and friends of the family...marriages of convenience are helpful..not talking about loveless marriages...I am being pragmatic...for instance- my youngest son married a young Spanish girl...He has a good ear and picked up the language quickly...So if there is a company that is primarily Spanish speaking...and the young wife has cultural connections...It opens up a lot of doors.

Everyone has a natural net work..use those resources. keep the money in the family- once in a while have a dinner and invite all family members..You would be surprised at how well connected you are.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,608,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
of getting hired, here is a copy, transcript of the Conversation we had on how Networking, the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know", and how it increases the odds, chances of getting a job, getting hired, etc.

I told him on how, that my best friend whom i've known since middle-school works at Home-Depot and has been letting me use him as a Network resource, reference, connection to help me get hired there, when I told him the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know" this is how it lead to the disagreement:

He says: "It's more of what you know not who you know. Knowing people may get you a second look but if you don't know what you are doing then you won't last. Education is the key to the workforce."

Then I responded to him by saying "I read an accurate percentage, in fact, even a person who works for the Department of Rehabiliation, says that at least 70 percent of people get jobs through networking"

Because a person who actually works for the California Department of Rehabilitation specifically told me that, that 70 percent thing

Then he says: "How many of that 70 percent are able to keep those jobs for more than 6 months?"

Lastly he says "If it was who you know not what you know" then colleges would cease to exist.

What do you think about what he said?
I think you two were talking past each other and that the key to his point is highlighted in purple above. Like others have said - it can be a little of both. The cousin didn't seem to be poo-pooing networking - in fact, he said it was good for getting in the door. The cousin's point was that, even if networking gets you in the door, you still need to have the goods to deliver on the job. If not, then you'll probably lose the job and that link in your network. It does sound like the cousin was being a bit of a curmudgeon - most people who offer to be a work reference or make introductions do so only for people whom they believe are up to the job. After all, when it's personal like that, their professional reputation is on the line also.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
He's not saying Networking is a bad thing, but rather Networking only helps if you qualify for the job you're being recommended for in the first place.
That is true to a large extent. Knowing someone can help you get your foot in the door or make sure your resume / CV gets looked at, and can help get you an interview. But if you're not qualified for the position, you're not likely to get the job.

It seems to me like the guy being referenced in the OP is talking more about nepotism and less about networking.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM

410 posts, read 803,777 times
At the end of the day it's who you know that matters. If there is a job that offers training and the person who "know's someone" has the ability to comprehend, then the chances are better for that person. Why? Not only is it beneficial for the job applicant, but it's good for the company. If a valued employee suggests someone they know, it may mean bringing in a good employee based on a quality recommendation. Companies want less turnover because it costs a lot to bring in a new person, spend time on training only to have them quit. So a good recommendation is a win win for all.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,679,917 times
Actually I wish skills would count more. I do know cases from previous jobs where people got hired because of who they knew, were completely incompetent but are still there because of said contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment