Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,030 times

Advertisements

I have a confession. I'm moody and I don't like it. I have a great job, but there are issues, just like everything. When I see those problems, I dwell on them and then I know I'm a b to be around.

My problem is that I wear my heart on my sleeve and if I'm not happy, it shows. This has cost me a lot in my life.

I really need an attitude adjustment, so that I can be at work, fit in, and not only just work hard but be a good employee that people want to be around. People who have worked a lot less hard than me, will get promoted before me because they got personality or know to kiss up to. How do they do it?

I've seen people smile through the most menial jobs and get promoted b/c they know how to smooze and put on their happy face. I want to be like that so much. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I can be passionate like you as well. I never took acting, but sales requires it, at times, so I just starting working on. You should do some role plays with people you trust. Have them put you in scenarios like you have at work and then get really nasty will you. Do it enough and you will grow a thicker skin like I did.

Trust me, do the role plays and have them pitch you softballs when you first start, then have them go over the top nasty. This is coming from a guy who started in sales in 98 and was sweating when making cold calls the first day.

I have faith in you, you can do it. It will be difficult and worth the effort.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I can be passionate like you as well. I never took acting, but sales requires it, at times, so I just starting working on. You should do some role plays with people you trust. Have them put you in scenarios like you have at work and then get really nasty will you. Do it enough and you will grow a thicker skin like I did.

Trust me, do the role plays and have them pitch you softballs when you first start, then have them go over the top nasty. This is coming from a guy who started in sales in 98 and was sweating when making cold calls the first day.

I have faith in you, you can do it. It will be difficult and worth the effort.
Thanks! I know I need to develop a thick skin, part of my problem is that when people annoy me, I tune them out and ignore them. I have to keep communicating but I don't.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I have a confession. I'm moody and I don't like it. I have a great job, but there are issues, just like everything. When I see those problems, I dwell on them and then I know I'm a b to be around.
My problem is that I wear my heart on my sleeve and if I'm not happy, it shows. This has cost me a lot in my life.
I really need an attitude adjustment, so that I can be at work, fit in, and not only just work hard but be a good employee that people want to be around. People who have worked a lot less hard than me, will get promoted before me because they got personality or know to kiss up to. How do they do it?
I've seen people smile through the most menial jobs and get promoted b/c they know how to smooze and put on their happy face. I want to be like that so much. Any suggestions?
If I didn't know any better I would think this was me posting this 30 years ago. I am 64 and retired but did have pretty much the same attitude as you when I was into the working world. I spent most of my working years as a Senior Admin Assistant for big executives and had to endure a rash of crap non stop for many of those years. I have been told point blank by a female executive to get my head out of my ass...have had executives tossing papers back at me in anger and have in general had to put up with more executive hissy fits than I care to mention. At some point in my career, enough was enough and I went down to Human Resources about the abuse this female executive could toss around..was laid off about 2 wks later and she got canned perhaps 3 mos. later. I always figured she got canned because I was no longer there to cover her butt.

Work can be horrible if you let it. After I lost the above position, I found one at a smaller company working as a Purchasing Agent. I ran into a supervisor who outright lied about stuff she assumed I was doing. She hauled me into a meeting to "talk" about things with her supervisor included. She tried her lying stuff in this meeting and I got up and said, "meeting is over" and walked out. Nothing happened but I again got the reputation of being the office "bit#$%" when it wasnt true.

I don't say here that you have to take any kind of work environment abuse of any sort but make sure it is a battle worth fighting. If you do decide to "buck the system" do it right. Don't fly off the handle, talk with someone who might be in charge of whoever it is that is giving you aggidda. If that doesn't work then decide just how valuable your job is and therein will come your decision on how to handle the problem.

Look, life flies by you so fast that all of a sudden you are 64, retired and home bored out of your mind most of the time like me. I wonder at times where did it all go and did I ever do anything during my working career to leave a lasting impression on folks..I doubt it so just how important were all those workplace pain in the posterior end moments?? Learn to be happy in the moment while you are at work and carefully, very carefully handle your battles. It will all be over before you know it!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:

Here's a question. Do you view yourself as a really nice and quality person who's just moody on occasion, or do you view yourself as a bad person who wants to become a good person?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
If I didn't know any better I would think this was me posting this 30 years ago. I am 64 and retired but did have pretty much the same attitude as you when I was into the working world. I spent most of my working years as a Senior Admin Assistant for big executives and had to endure a rash of crap non stop for many of those years. I have been told point blank by a female executive to get my head out of my ass...have had executives tossing papers back at me in anger and have in general had to put up with more executive hissy fits than I care to mention. At some point in my career, enough was enough and I went down to Human Resources about the abuse this female executive could toss around..was laid off about 2 wks later and she got canned perhaps 3 mos. later. I always figured she got canned because I was no longer there to cover her butt.

Work can be horrible if you let it. After I lost the above position, I found one at a smaller company working as a Purchasing Agent. I ran into a supervisor who outright lied about stuff she assumed I was doing. She hauled me into a meeting to "talk" about things with her supervisor included. She tried her lying stuff in this meeting and I got up and said, "meeting is over" and walked out. Nothing happened but I again got the reputation of being the office "bit#$%" when it wasnt true.

I don't say here that you have to take any kind of work environment abuse of any sort but make sure it is a battle worth fighting. If you do decide to "buck the system" do it right. Don't fly off the handle, talk with someone who might be in charge of whoever it is that is giving you aggidda. If that doesn't work then decide just how valuable your job is and therein will come your decision on how to handle the problem.

Look, life flies by you so fast that all of a sudden you are 64, retired and home bored out of your mind most of the time like me. I wonder at times where did it all go and did I ever do anything during my working career to leave a lasting impression on folks..I doubt it so just how important were all those workplace pain in the posterior end moments?? Learn to be happy in the moment while you are at work and carefully, very carefully handle your battles. It will all be over before you know it!
Wow! I had to respond to your note. It's so true, the stuff we think is so important, in the long run, doesn't matter one bit. I am learning that the hard way. All the fights and anger I started years ago over something so trivial just boggles my mind. I was so immature and to be honest, it's not that long ago.

What I am doing now, is realizing it a lot quicker. I am immature, I just never really grew up. So, I think that life should be fair, but it's not. Part of me is growing up and it's been very hard. The immature part of me still rears her ugly head so I have that against me too. If I could only go back and change my responses and actions, I surely would. I would be in a much better place.

Live and learn and it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks for your insight. 64 is still young so I hope you are enjoying your retirement!
Have a great day!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Here's a question. Do you view yourself as a really nice and quality person who's just moody on occasion, or do you view yourself as a bad person who wants to become a good person?
I see myself as a nice person whose moody. It's like anger that just comes out of nowhere. Mostly when I think people are being disrespectful to me. Like when my boss doesn't respect my time and I have a lot to finish but he wants to "talk" about nonsense b/c he doesn't know what he's doing. But he's the boss and if he wants to waste my time, nothing I can do about it.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:

Medication? That's not a joke. Some of us just aren't meant to be like that. You might try seeing a therapist and seeing what they think. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you - just saying that if that's not your personality and you are more emotional than that, then probably medicating is one way to be bothered less.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Wow! I had to respond to your note. It's so true, the stuff we think is so important, in the long run, doesn't matter one bit. I am learning that the hard way. All the fights and anger I started years ago over something so trivial just boggles my mind. I was so immature and to be honest, it's not that long ago.
What I am doing now, is realizing it a lot quicker. I am immature, I just never really grew up. So, I think that life should be fair, but it's not. Part of me is growing up and it's been very hard. The immature part of me still rears her ugly head so I have that against me too. If I could only go back and change my responses and actions, I surely would. I would be in a much better place.
Live and learn and it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.
Thanks for your insight. 64 is still young so I hope you are enjoying your retirement!
Have a great day!
Just got to read your response to my comment about your work situation. Thanks for the well wishes with regard to my retirement. I think about my old work positions all the time as I still peck away at these keys on my keyboard here at well over 100 words per minute. I still fascinate my husband with my "machine gun speed" on here. LMAO. Yes, I was a good Senior Admin. but not without aggidda daily from the execs I worked for. It was a challenge and most of it happened long before computers were the "in thing". LOL

If work were meant to be a "fun thing" then I guess none of us would EVER retire or even have a job. Its great if you like your work but how many people really do? My biggest issue when I was working is that I became VERY out spoken and also became a Right Fighter meaning I was always for the underdog. When I worked at Yankee Gas here in CT, I use to be a real fighter when it came to helping out Seniors with poor heating systems they had or if they had no heat at all. Long story. I did get several commendations for being like a "tiger" when it came to helping the poor or the seniors. Was very passionate about that job.

Maturity for you with your work will come. Mine didn't happen until I was well into my mid to late 40's and then more so as I approached retirement age. Life takes on a whole new meaning as you age and time as well as what you do with that time take on a new importance.

Golden Years for me?? No such thing. Seniors get all kinds of discounts, great medical coverage, more respect and all kinds of compliments about how good you look for your age...won't ever compare to actually getting out of the house EVERY day and making a difference in someone's life. Enjoy your time in the workforce and make a difference if you can. Your generation is important to the rest of us and to you! Good luck.....and great talking with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment