Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM

201 posts, read 490,883 times

Advertisements

If you are going into management you need to play the game or they will find someone else who can. Success in higher level jobs is based on working with all kinds of people with varied agendas. If you can't get their assistance and respect they will find someone else who does. Suck it up. Very few jobs are for people who work without interaction now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 41,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
If you are going into management you need to play the game or they will find someone else who can. Success in higher level jobs is based on working with all kinds of people with varied agendas. If you can't get their assistance and respect they will find someone else who does. Suck it up. Very few jobs are for people who work without interaction now days.
I'm not going into management. I have interest to do that. I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability but all anyone else seems to care about is being popular.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:58 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Why not leave for a better job to work with people you like and make more money?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenray View Post
Hi,

I have been at my job for 3 months and it hasn't been what I thought it would be. I choose to not get involved with office politics, gossip, etc. I come to work focused and want to do a good job at my job. But this outlook has made me a target for bullying. I have found myself working in a hostile environment over the last month and a half. With two particular women in my office. I have done nothing to them, and I believe just the fact that I'm dont involve myself in the gossip/backstabbing bothers some people. I could be very specific but it would be a long story.

Lets just say that I have been spoken down to and overheard/seen people say things about me when they didn't think I was paying attention. I'm 32 years old and I have never dealt with this before in whats supposed to be a professional environment. When it started I went to my manager and expressed some of my concerns. I was a little apprehensive because she tends to be gossipy as well with some of these women. But I knew I had to address it and hoped it would get better.
It hasn't.
Yesterday it actually got worse and I hit my breaking point. This one person in particular was very short with me yesterday and quite rude. No one else overheard the way she answered me and I snapped back at her. Well unfortunately some other people don't know the circumstances of the whole situation and it was reported to my manager that I was "out of line and jumped down her throat". I told my manager that wasn't the case and I just hit my limit. She didnt agree and said there were other people that overheard it that told a very different story.

Over the last 3 weeks I have been a little more introverted. I usually make small talk but not get involved in gossip but I have clammed up quite a bit since all this started happening. So when my manager and I were having this conversation she also told me people have said I come across unfriendly. I haven't been. I just don't want to be involved in drama, but I'm not rude. I always say hello and get my job done. She says this company will always have catty people and that it probably wont change and maybe this job isn't the right fit for me. She has no issue with my work performance or attendance! I have never heard of being not a good fit for being professional!

I told her I don't want to lose my job and I would like to turn the situation around if given the chance. She said "ok fresh start, but I still need to talk to our VP John". I plan on looking for a new job asap. But I need to keep this one for now. I just can't believe this is happening. Does this sound crazy???
It's typical. Look for a new job. Until you can find one, do whatever you can to suck up to everyone. And don't go to your boss with complaints about gossip - obviously, the office is that way because she is that way.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
I think we all run into this type of situation at some point in our working lives. If you need this job then you are guying to have to psychologically ready yourself to manage it until you can find something better. You are already on the radar so you need to act fast to change their perception of you. So essentially you need to PLAY THE GAME. When I was in that situation, I literally made it a game. Every time I interacted with someone who rubbed me wrong way, I pretended I was on TV and acting a character. (I was miserable so I had to dig deep.) It worked. As soon as the chance arose, I was out of there and it didn't affect my evaluations or work references. Think about the big picture and its easier to muddle through.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenray View Post
Hi,

I have been at my job for 3 months and it hasn't been what I thought it would be. I choose to not get involved with office politics, gossip, etc. I come to work focused and want to do a good job at my job. But this outlook has made me a target for bullying. I have found myself working in a hostile environment over the last month and a half. With two particular women in my office. I have done nothing to them, and I believe just the fact that I'm dont involve myself in the gossip/backstabbing bothers some people. I could be very specific but it would be a long story.

Lets just say that I have been spoken down to and overheard/seen people say things about me when they didn't think I was paying attention. I'm 32 years old and I have never dealt with this before in whats supposed to be a professional environment.
Actually, I've dealt with this at my office jobs, and I have gotten it for the same reason as you. I keep my head down and don't participate in the gossip circles and the drama queens don't like that. I too have dealt with these two-faced women who are nice to your face and then a few minutes later you see them in the corner whispering to each other. What's funny is I guess they don't realize that sound carries very well in a quiet office because sometimes you hear them badmouthing you. I especially feel sorry for the nice, quiet females, as they get it much worse than I do.

That kind of pathetic, childish behavior gets old very, very fast. Sometimes I feel like I am in junior high with the petty behavior *mainly* women engage in at these office jobs.

It kind of makes me want to go blue collar. That way I would be dealing with nothing but other men and be too busy for this kind of petty drama. Also, I wouldn't be staring at numbers on a computer screen for 8 hours straight every day, but that is a different topic.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
It's typical. Look for a new job. Until you can find one, do whatever you can to suck up to everyone. And don't go to your boss with complaints about gossip - obviously, the office is that way because she is that way.
Exactly. Managment sets the tone in the office. If things are that bad, it`s because management has allowed it or is part of it. It starts at the top. Professionally led companies are not like that. some people think because you dress up to go to work, it means their place of work is professional, Wrong. some of the people wearing ties and dress skirts are the most unporofessional.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM

5,582 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Try to get in on the "ground floor" of a new contractual job, that way all of you will be new at the same time.

Example: I worked at the local college for the new food service company that got the contract after the former food service contract was not renewed. All of us were new/original to the job. Nobody had status. Nice!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
Has happened in all the offices I worked in. 'Play the game' is sound advice I think until you can find something better. Also it might help you to talk with a therapist or counselor to stay sane and have a stable touchstone to talk to/vent.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM

244 posts, read 390,489 times
You didn't take the gossip 101 coarse in college did you? , this is what happens when you have a workforce full of college folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment