Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

I had a feeling this was going to happen due to the new federal health insurance plan.

My other prediction is that companies who have always traditionally provided their employees with health insurance benefits now will look at the "fine" for not giving benefits, note that it costs much less than paying for health insurance for employees (what kind of stupid "fine" is that ... it's an incentive to cut out health insurance benefits), and cut out providing health insurance and pay the fine instead.

Health Law Spurs Shift in Hours - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Several restaurants, hotels and retailers have started or are preparing to limit schedules of hourly workers to less than 30 hours a week. That is the threshold at which large employers in 2014 would have to offer workers a minimum level of insurance or pay a penalty starting at $2,000 for each worker.
Compare the cost of health insurance to employers for a whole year to $2,000. I did note the story said the penalty was "starting at $2,000 per worker." The story did not say how much fines will go up to, but if it isn't anything substantial, it makes things more of a "win" for businesses not to offer health insurance.

What do you think employers will do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
For typical grunt level retail, restaurant and hospitality jobs, workers are a dime a dozen. There is no incentive to offer more than 30 hours a week for the workers. I would expect these workers to have more free time on their hands to say the least... Either that, or many Americans will be stuck working 2 part time jobs. More money spent on transportation, more conflicting schedule headaches, nightmares for all parties involved. Can't wait to get this loser out of the white house.

And a $2000 fine for the exceptions? Who cares? Just another reason not to offer a prevailing wage. Sorry, your raise went to the government this year...

The problems we face today are due to government recklessness, lack of consumer spending, cheaper foreign competition and an America that is far less competitive than a couple generations ago. Prosperity can't be legislated...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Can't wait to get this loser out of the white house.
As if things will get better by putting those other two losers in the white house...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
As if things will get better by putting those other two losers in the white house...
Plenty will change. We'll have a fresh face to blame. That's good enough for me.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Plenty will change. We'll have a fresh face to blame. That's good enough for me.
Well see, we just have a different outlook on it all.

I don't dump something because it's not during as well as it would like when the alternative is, at the very least, just as bad.

At least we know what we're getting with Obama. There's no telling what Romney has in store for us.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Well see, we just have a different outlook on it all.

I don't dump something because it's not during as well as it would like when the alternative is, at the very least, just as bad.

At least we know what we're getting with Obama. There's no telling what Romney has in store for us.
At least the next turd in line won't be knocking more hours off the schedules of desperate minimum wage workers. I hear it's tough enough out there as it is.

Once again, you cannot legislate prosperity. And you cannot violate the free market without some really bad stuff happening in the end.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Once again, you cannot legislate prosperity. And you cannot violate the free market without some really bad stuff happening in the end.
Likewise, you also can't expect greedy people to do the right thing out of the kindness of their heart. And you cannot expect to have a civil society without a certain amount of government intervention.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Likewise, you also can't expect greedy people to do the right thing out of the kindness of their heart. And you cannot expect to have a civil society without a certain amount of government intervention.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Have at it.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I had a feeling this was going to happen due to the new federal health insurance plan.

My other prediction is that companies who have always traditionally provided their employees with health insurance benefits now will look at the "fine" for not giving benefits, note that it costs much less than paying for health insurance for employees (what kind of stupid "fine" is that ... it's an incentive to cut out health insurance benefits), and cut out providing health insurance and pay the fine instead.

Health Law Spurs Shift in Hours - Yahoo! Finance

Compare the cost of health insurance to employers for a whole year to $2,000. I did note the story said the penalty was "starting at $2,000 per worker." The story did not say how much fines will go up to, but if it isn't anything substantial, it makes things more of a "win" for businesses not to offer health insurance.

What do you think employers will do?
Gee, this is what I said would happen, this is exactly what I said would happen in another thread about this about a month ago...and I was told I didn't make any sense.

Yah.

Lookie here, what I said would happen is starting to happen. We better hope with everything we have that this clown doesn't get re-elected.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,017 times
You guys do realize the fine is $2000 per employee. A medium sized company with 7000 employees would be fined $14,000,000. Therefore, it's probably cheaper for them to just provide the health insurance since they get bulk rate discounts on it. I doubt companies will stop providing health care. For low wage positions, you should be mad at the greedy corporations that don't want to take care of their workers not the pres for trying to make sure folks can get health care if they need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment