Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,254 times

Advertisements

What is it with employers. I applied to a full time job that requires a degree from a career fair and it took 2 months to hear anything back from them even after calling. I then get an interview, and they said I would hear something Wednesday. I didn't hear anything so I emailed one of them. No response. Next day I call and leave a message. Still no response. Meanwhile I'm literally waiting to tell a company I interned with if I can start with them next week as a temporary intern again and I'm about to lose that because I don't know about this job yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,590,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
What is it with employers. I applied to a full time job that requires a degree from a career fair and it took 2 months to hear anything back from them even after calling. I then get an interview, and they said I would hear something Wednesday. I didn't hear anything so I emailed one of them. No response. Next day I call and leave a message. Still no response. Meanwhile I'm literally waiting to tell a company I interned with if I can start with them next week as a temporary intern again and I'm about to lose that because I don't know about this job yet.
You need to understand that hiring you in most cases is not anybody's top priority. You really don't need to be so worked up over this. Just move on with your life pretending this one with this company never happened.

I always say "you should move on as soon as you sent a thank you letter."

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,501,042 times
If they want you they will hire you.

If they have not hired you, then they do not want you.

Move on, and stop wasting your time ! ! !

Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,775 times
It's the same as having a date with a person, and then waiting by the phone for him/her to call. Don't do that.

I expect nothing, and I'm surprised when I receive a call back for an interview. I've applied to over 200 jobs in about 11 months, and received about 4 interviews. Occasionally, I'll receive a rejection email 1-3 months after I applied. You've made contact twice after the interview, so move along.

Take whatever position comes first, so if you can start interning again, then do it.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
It's the same as having a date with a person, and then waiting by the phone for him/her to call. Don't do that.

I expect nothing, and I'm surprised when I receive a call back for an interview. I've applied to over 200 jobs in about 11 months, and received about 4 interviews. Occasionally, I'll receive a rejection email 1-3 months after I applied. You've made contact twice after the interview, so move along.

Take whatever position comes first, so if you can start interning again, then do it.
I'm not talking about after applying. I'm talking about after the interview. I don't expect a rejection letter after applying.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
First off, one position has nothing to with the other. Go ahead an accept the temporary job, worst case you have to tell them another offer came through that was full time.

The other thing is you inquired way too soon and too often. You can't start pestering them on Thurs because they said by Wednesday. Next time wait at least until the following week and don't email and call. Just follow up with one or the other.

By doing both so soon and not giving anyone a chance to get back to you, you may have blown this one anyway.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
First off, one position has nothing to with the other. Go ahead an accept the temporary job, worst case you have to tell them another offer came through that was full time.

The other thing is you inquired way too soon and too often. You can't start pestering them on Thurs because they said by Wednesday. Next time wait at least until the following week and don't email and call. Just follow up with one or the other.

By doing both so soon and not giving anyone a chance to get back to you, you may have blown this one anyway.
Well I let them know when I contacted them that I was in a hurry because I had another job opportunity. I figured that since they knew this, they would have the courtesy to respond. I also called the interviewer and emailed the HR girl.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,401,738 times
Quote:
Well I let them know when I contacted them that I was in a hurry because I had another job opportunity. I figured that since they knew this, they would have the courtesy to respond. I also called the interviewer and emailed the HR girl.
While I disagree with the poster who said calling Thursday was too soon when you were to hear on Wednesday...I do think this post shows that you contacted them WAY too much and likely they are not getting back to you because no matter how well the interview went, your after interview technique convinced them to go with another candidate.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,775 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about after applying. I'm talking about after the interview. I don't expect a rejection letter after applying.
I know. It's still the same. If I am not offered a job after an interview, I am rarely notified. When I do receive a call or email, I'm shocked.

Just accept the other job. Take whatever comes first, and then if you are offered something better, you take it.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
Waiting sucks. I had a few jobs I was interviewing for. They all knew I was actively interviewing. I took the first offer which came rather quickly. After working for the company for six weeks the job I really wanted came with an offer. I resigned from the company I am currently working for to take the job.

You have to do what is best for you. It is tough, but the thing is they do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment