Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM

124 posts, read 220,758 times

Advertisements

This is given that you are close enough/have enough in savings to where you could flight out for an interview and/or move right away should they hire you. I'm trying to relocate to LA from PHX and have tried finding a job both ways: being honest and saying I still live in Phoenix, and telling them I already live in LA. From experience, the former got me absolutely nowhere. I just wonder, is it a bad idea to start off a new job with a lie? But on the other hand, if it doesn't affect your job performance in any way, is it really that big of a deal?

I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions! I'm not a natural liar so telling potential employers I live somewhere I don't is tough but I have been getting more responses that way. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
If I were you, I would sign up for a Mail Boxes, etc. account in Los Angeles.

Mail Boxes, Etc. will give you a physical address in Los Angeles and your mail will be forwarded to your real address in Phoenix. Put the MBE address at the top of your resume and the question won't even come up. They will think you are local!!

That's about the easiest lie you can get away with when trying to find a job.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Well, I don't see how they could verify that you are still in Phoenix, unless you are still employed and they verify employment in Phoenix. It may help to get a phone with a local area code.

I always leave my street address off resumes, anyway.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
If I were you, I would sign up for a Mail Boxes, etc. account in Los Angeles.

Mail Boxes, Etc. will give you a physical address in Los Angeles and your mail will be forwarded to your real address in Phoenix. Put the MBE address at the top of your resume and the question won't even come up. They will think you are local!!

That's about the easiest lie you can get away with when trying to find a job.
I have a friend who lives in LA and is letting me use her address, which has been super helpful. As the user said below, I don't put my full address on my resume, just a zip. I tried getting a Google Voice number though, and they didn't have any 310 available...

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Well, I don't see how they could verify that you are still in Phoenix, unless you are still employed and they verify employment in Phoenix. It may help to get a phone with a local area code.

I always leave my street address off resumes, anyway.
Yeah, I only put a zip on my resume. I tried getting a Google Voice number but they didn't have any available so I'm stuck with my 480 for now. I'm not currently employed so I don't have to worry about that.

I know it should be okay but it still makes me a bit nervous! But I guess when it comes down to it, you just have to do what you can to find work.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSun View Post
Yeah, I only put a zip on my resume. I tried getting a Google Voice number but they didn't have any available so I'm stuck with my 480 for now. I'm not currently employed so I don't have to worry about that.

I know it should be okay but it still makes me a bit nervous! But I guess when it comes down to it, you just have to do what you can to find work.
Send your friend money to buy a prepaid phone. Activate it in LA, and ship it to you. The cell companies may have more local area codes reserved than Google. I can't imagine people in LA residents being forced to use area codes from another county. If anybody asks for a next day interview, ask them to reschedule. You can tell them that you are out of town.

If they press, tell them that you are taking care of loose ends or visiting family. *smile*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment