Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

Workers in New York City walk off the job at some of the country's biggest chains, demanding a living wage.

On Thursday, fast-food workers at several nationwide chains in New York City said they were mad as hell and weren't going to take it anymore. They walked off the job, "firing the first salvo in what workplace experts say is the biggest effort to unionize fast-food workers ever undertaken in the United States," says Steven

Should fast-food workers be able to unionize? - The Week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,599,432 times
Should topic starters insert an original sentence or two with their views on the issue? Should posts without original topic starter' message be automatically deleted?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM

398 posts, read 546,106 times
Amen......... I thought a Forum was about thoughtful discussion. This seems to be a case of someone stoking a time of sagging traffic numbers.

FWIW.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 AM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Much of Europe has unionized fast food workers. You still see McDonald's franchises, and they still record profits. Sure, the food is more expensive, but seriously, that might be for the best here in America... Do we really want to make it easier for folks to continue getting fatter? I'd say do to fast food what we've done to tobacco...

At any rate, the one positive of higher earnings for FFWs would be they could actually afford to support themselves, instead of relying on subsidies. Seems those subsidies have been nothing but a crutch allowing corporations to apply downward pressure on wages. Food stamps weren't created so employers didn't have to worry about paying enough for their workers to eat.

$15/hr, obviously that isn't going to work. Maybe $12/hr would be more reasonable. After all... These aren't even burger flippers... They just deposit the patties in the machine.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,373,899 times
A fast food job is not designed to support yourself on. It is an entry level job that requires little skill. I worked fast food as a teenager in order to buy clothes, etc. for myself.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
Union doesn't always mean high pay. Lots of unionized jobs pay $8-$10/hr in my industry. Unions provide significant benefits over and above pay.

From my understanding though these guys aren't really going about it the right way. They need to sign cards and hold a vote to actually vote in a union, striking just means they will probably all be fired.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
"Be able" to unionize? We're guaranteed free association in this country, right?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,373,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Union doesn't always mean high pay. Lots of unionized jobs pay $8-$10/hr in my industry. Unions provide significant benefits over and above pay.

From my understanding though these guys aren't really going about it the right way. They need to sign cards and hold a vote to actually vote in a union, striking just means they will probably all be fired.
Yep, and they will be replaced with people who will work for minimum wage.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,328,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Be able" to unionize? We're guaranteed free association in this country, right?
Unless you work for the government in Wisconsin

Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM

563 posts, read 1,271,037 times
In my younger days, I hated unions with a passion. Did not see the benefit of workers striking, making "obscene" amounts of money for doing something I would loved to have done for a fraction of the pay, etc.

As I get older, I've softened a bit and see how much work gets piled on by the guys at the bottom of the totem pole, and don't feel it's entirely right that the ones doing the most work per job description are being paid so meagerly, though I fully get the first job/getting experience crowd. My belief, however, is that you get what you pay for. If you pay garbage wages, you're gonna get garbage back.

I feel a union for fast food workers is as necessary for retail workers. With all of the grumbling coming out of retail this past Thanksgiving, the unions should be making a stronger play for support and unionizing than they appear to be.

Which leads me to something I've been thinking about for a while. I have always felt more than comfortable buying my produce from a grocery store, where union workers are handling the merchandise, which I think comes from the whole union aspect of getting paid more and thus having a strongher ethic and level of personal caring and hygeine. Compared to getting it from Target or WalMart, where essentially kids are stocking the stuff, and with how little they make, who's to say they even wash their hands after going to the bathroom? I just don't feel the level of comfortability there like I do a grocery store. I think the feeling of a union presence makes that difference to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment