Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 71,187 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Kevin, graduated from UC Berkeley one year ago with dual major Political Economy and Political science. I found it very very difficult to land a job even i studied hard. kinda frustrating.
May i ask for some advises here? Any advices would be appreciated.

I would like to share some of my experience looking for job.
Since i graduated last year, i just did 2 temp jobs, one is a temp program coordinator, and other is election canvasser. I know much of the experience i could gain is about communication skills only.

I wish it would be helpful dressing up my resume. But i didn't see much.
Recently i wish i can work in a bank. I just to apply for personal banker and teller. Both rejected even they arranged me for interview.
For personal banker, the reason is simple i didn't have any banking experience.
For teller position, the reason is i didn't have any cash handling experience.

But i still want to work in a bank as a teller. I am a quick learner and wish learn something as many as possible. But seems like i was frustrating by the rejection notices from the banks.

May i ask what i should do in order to break this vicious cycle ? It seems like i don't have experience then no job, if i don't have job i further don't have any experience.

May i ask anything i can do with my Major? or any industry i can get in given the fact that i didnt have much about experience ?

Ex. i didn't think i can do any insurance job or sales, i knew i can't base on my personality.
But still may i ask in order to get in to a bank even as a teller which require solid experience of cash handling ? what should I do ? i don't wanna lie to them i had cash handling experience on my resume.

Please any helps or advices are really appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicehellojj View Post
Hi my name is Kevin, graduated from UC Berkeley one year ago with dual major Political Economy and Political science. I found it very very difficult to land a job even i studied hard. kinda frustrating.
May i ask for some advises here? Any advices would be appreciated.

I would like to share some of my experience looking for job.
Since i graduated last year, i just did 2 temp jobs, one is a temp program coordinator, and other is election canvasser. I know much of the experience i could gain is about communication skills only.

I wish it would be helpful dressing up my resume. But i didn't see much.
Recently i wish i can work in a bank. I just to apply for personal banker and teller. Both rejected even they arranged me for interview.
For personal banker, the reason is simple i didn't have any banking experience.
For teller position, the reason is i didn't have any cash handling experience.

But i still want to work in a bank as a teller. I am a quick learner and wish learn something as many as possible. But seems like i was frustrating by the rejection notices from the banks.

May i ask what i should do in order to break this vicious cycle ? It seems like i don't have experience then no job, if i don't have job i further don't have any experience.

May i ask anything i can do with my Major? or any industry i can get in given the fact that i didnt have much about experience ?

Ex. i didn't think i can do any insurance job or sales, i knew i can't base on my personality.
But still may i ask in order to get in to a bank even as a teller which require solid experience of cash handling ? what should I do ? i don't wanna lie to them i had cash handling experience on my resume.

Please any helps or advices are really appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin
Dang. Graduated from Berkeley and you're trying to become a teller?

Just joking. I actually had odd temp jobs after graduating too. I think bank teller is a decent job and one I had thought of as well. I don't think they need that much experience. Just make sure you have a clean record and apply around. They will train you. The job doesn't pay much.

If you want to get into a field related to your major, I suggest you work on your writing skills. I'm not sure how you got through Berkeley L&S without a grasp of tenses, but more power to you.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Dang. Graduated from Berkeley and you're trying to become a teller?

Just joking. I actually had odd temp jobs after graduating too. I think bank teller is a decent job and one I had thought of as well. I don't think they need that much experience. Just make sure you have a clean record and apply around. They will train you. The job doesn't pay much.

If you want to get into a field related to your major, I suggest you work on your writing skills. I'm not sure how you got through Berkeley L&S without a grasp of tenses, but more power to you.
Thank you for your advices Jobaba. I wish i can get a job very soon

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicehellojj View Post
Thank you for your advices Jobaba. I wish i can get a job very soon
I know its not what you want to hear, but I agree. You need to brush up on your English. I mean I can understand your point, but you wouldn't be able to get a bank job when you dont have a real grasp of the English language. I worked at a bank while attending college, I know.

You arent going to be able to get any kind of job where you need to be able to speak professionally to people. If you studied in more of a technical field the language barrier wouldn't be so bad, but it will kill you in basically any job your degree qualifies you for.

My advice would be to find he best job you can find regardless of field for the time being and take courses in the English language. Really master it, and then get out there and look for a real job

Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Grocery store office staff get the opportunity to handle large sums of cash similar to bank tellers.

Is English your second language? Do you have a strong accent? These can be detrimental when applying to customer facing positions. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM

445 posts, read 864,422 times
Work in retail as a cashier for 3 to 6 months.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I know its not what you want to hear, but I agree. You need to brush up on your English. I mean I can understand your point, but you wouldn't be able to get a bank job when you dont have a real grasp of the English language. I worked at a bank while attending college, I know.

You arent going to be able to get any kind of job where you need to be able to speak professionally to people. If you studied in more of a technical field the language barrier wouldn't be so bad, but it will kill you in basically any job your degree qualifies you for.

My advice would be to find he best job you can find regardless of field for the time being and take courses in the English language. Really master it, and then get out there and look for a real job
Thanks for your advises GiantRutgersfan.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Grocery store office staff get the opportunity to handle large sums of cash similar to bank tellers.

Is English your second language? Do you have a strong accent? These can be detrimental when applying to customer facing positions. Good luck!
Yes English is my second language. I have accent and i can't change that. I believe that is the fact.
But i will take your advices seriously. Thanks

Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Work in retail as a cashier for 3 to 6 months.
I will try that Thanks Stickytoffee.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
IF you have a language for which the court systems need interpreters, you should consider that. Are you still in Calif. I would encourage you to go online and check for any positions at the court systems, District, Federal or City courts where you live and apply for interpreter positions. Or find out from those local offices where you go to apply or send your resume. Your degree may be an asset in the legal field.
You could also check w/ Immigration, again your language skills may help you if you could use your first language and interpret. Also, TSA I've seen people utilize their native language working w/ Airline customers. Take advantage of your skills, being multilingual is a great asset.
You might also check w/ the smaller banks...some banks are geared to attract the "new Americans" that are immigrated from other countries. They may not be put off by your accent. And they too might utilize your native language. Don't give up, just broaden your ideas about possible jobs.
Also, have you visited with your campus...they may have some programs to assist you in finding jobs. Or, sometimes if you were wanting to go back to school for a masters degree you could get a position as a teachers assistant. I'm including your schools website http://berkeley.edu/index.html

I also did a quick search for "Court Interpreters" here are some of the links that came up. You may need to do another search, adding your location to the search words, "court interpreter"....to get listings specific to your city or county. The Indeed.com and some other large search engines cover many states. Again, good luck. If you need more assistance, just direct message me by right clicking on my name.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mc...rt+interprters

Last edited by JanND; 12-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment