Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM

161 posts, read 390,058 times

Advertisements

Last Monday I got called for an interview for a job I want more than ANYTHING. We scheduled an interview for Friday, December 11th. I was so nervous all week, but excited! I took half the day off from my current position and went to the interview at 10am that morning.

There were 4 people in my interview. I tried to answer questions the best I could, and throughout the interview, the director of the place I'd be working would say things like: "Oh, I like that, explain that to me" or "that's good" or "I'm glad you said that", etc. At the end of the interview, the HR person told me that they had interviews until the middle to end of the next week (this week that ends tomorrow), and they'd like a final candidate to come in before Christmas break (which begins on the 20th) to see everything. When we were exchanging nice to meet you's, and goodbyes, the director came over to me and was the only one to shake my hand and said "It was VERY nice to meet you" and a slight wink. The HR lady and I walked out & talked casually, and she said she'd be in touch.

That night I sent thank you emails to the 4 members of the interview team. One responded and said "Thank you for your note & your interest in the position"

The status on the website has yet to change to filled, and I haven't heard anything, but I know they're still interviewing. That all being said, I've talked to a few friends and my mom about all this & I don't know what to think. Sometimes I get too positive, so I try to get negative, but when I do I just get disappointed. It's hard not to even know what my chances are, so I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have been on several interviews before, or HR employees.

Just want some peace of mind, either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM

217 posts, read 360,921 times
Get yourself a lawyer for that wink and physical contact. Show them you can be the most litigious employee they've ever had. Be proactive on this kind of stuff, nobody wants to hire a pushover.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
Get yourself a lawyer for that wink and physical contact. Show them you can be the most litigious employee they've ever had. Be proactive on this kind of stuff, nobody wants to hire a pushover.
hilarious!!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
No one can tell you. They might just be very nice to everyone the talk to; you might be the best person they talked to that day, but a better candidate could walk in the door right after you. You can't read ANYTHING into what transpired. You did your best, hope they call you back and move on to the next interview.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 18,367 times
Don't over think things here. You have no control over the situation and you're just causing yourself more stress than necessary. Don't try to read into anything that happened. The interview is over and if you are going to be the one they hire you will be contacted. Things happen for a reason and although we're not always aware of why or happy with the outcome I do believe in the end it all works out for the best. Who knows, maybe you'll end up getting something better or an opportunity you weren't expecting will present itself. The hiring process in bigger companies is not only an expensive process but there is a lot of red tape and politics they go through. Bottom line is, put your emotions towards more positive things and in the mean time apply for other jobs you might like. Also, look at it this way, at least you have a job while you're trying to get that position. Check the forum and see how many people don't even have a job while searching for another. I wish you all the best and if this is the position that will give you a happy and positive life I hope you get it. But, always remember almost everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side. There is such a small percentage of people doing what they love. Most are in jobs and hating what they do but do so because they have to feed their family and pay bills.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
Last Monday I got called for an interview for a job I want more than ANYTHING. We scheduled an interview for Friday, December 11th. I was so nervous all week, but excited! I took half the day off from my current position and went to the interview at 10am that morning.

There were 4 people in my interview. I tried to answer questions the best I could, and throughout the interview, the director of the place I'd be working would say things like: "Oh, I like that, explain that to me" or "that's good" or "I'm glad you said that", etc. At the end of the interview, the HR person told me that they had interviews until the middle to end of the next week (this week that ends tomorrow), and they'd like a final candidate to come in before Christmas break (which begins on the 20th) to see everything. When we were exchanging nice to meet you's, and goodbyes, the director came over to me and was the only one to shake my hand and said "It was VERY nice to meet you" and a slight wink. The HR lady and I walked out & talked casually, and she said she'd be in touch.

That night I sent thank you emails to the 4 members of the interview team. One responded and said "Thank you for your note & your interest in the position"

The status on the website has yet to change to filled, and I haven't heard anything, but I know they're still interviewing. That all being said, I've talked to a few friends and my mom about all this & I don't know what to think. Sometimes I get too positive, so I try to get negative, but when I do I just get disappointed. It's hard not to even know what my chances are, so I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have been on several interviews before, or HR employees.

Just want some peace of mind, either way.

Good Interviews signs I experienced in the past

1. Smiles all through the interview
2. Interview feels like a conversation
3. Business card offered without you asking
4. Told exactly when you will hear from them
5. Salary is brought up the interviewer
6. Other candidates are not mentioned
7. Asked for references
8. You are given a copy of the job description

Bad Interview Signs from the past

1. They are not clear on when exactly you will hear from them
2. They mention that other candidates are being interviewed
3. Interview feels more like an interrogation
4. You have to ask for a business card
5. They don't spend a lot of time answering your questions
6. No smiling by the interviewer
7. They don't rush out to get you from the waiting area before the interview
8. Interviewer interrupts during the interview

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
Quote:
Sometimes I get too positive, so I try to get negative, but when I do I just get disappointed.
You need to learn how to be comfortable with uncertainty.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Many times they will put 'filled' before they make the offer. Try not to over think it as others have said. Most people would disagree with me, but if the time has past that they were going to contact you I would shoot them a quick email just to touch base on the position. I have done this in the past (against advice) and both times got the job.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
At the end of the interview, the HR person told me that they had interviews until the middle to end of the next week (this week that ends tomorrow), and they'd like a final candidate to come in before Christmas break (which begins on the 20th) to see everything.
You interviewed on the 11th, which was this Tuesday, so wouldn't the next week they're talking about be next week, the week of the 17th?

Unless they come out and tell you during the interview that you got the job, there is no way of really knowing. There have been so many cases on this board of people feeling really good about the interview they gave and then not getting the offer, it even happened to me. So there's no use overthinking it. Just wait until you hear something and keep applying in the meantime.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
You interviewed on the 11th, which was this Tuesday, so wouldn't the next week they're talking about be next week, the week of the 17th?

Unless they come out and tell you during the interview that you got the job, there is no way of really knowing. There have been so many cases on this board of people feeling really good about the interview they gave and then not getting the offer, it even happened to me. So there's no use overthinking it. Just wait until you hear something and keep applying in the meantime.

Unless the OP mean to say Dec 7th since Friday was mentioned and just got the date wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment