Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

I just ran across an ad for a job with a major internet retailer. Here's what it says:

"Oh, and one more thing! Cover letters are cool but do you know what's even cooler?! Show us who you are with a cover letter VIDEO! You will be able to upload one when applying for this position. (Video cover letters are not required but if you wanna do one, we wanna see it!)"

How do you feel about this? I think they are opening themselves up to all sorts of issues here. A 2 dimensional resume evens the playing field. Questions of age, sex, race are not even considered. Of course I'm appalled at the "wanna" instead of "want to" but that's just me being an old fogey grammar nazi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Every company has a different culture. I don't see a problem with it. If age and sex were a concern, they would weed you out later in the process.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Just do it. They obviously want energetic, motivated people. If you can't do this, just apply elsewhere.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
I have heard of live video interviews with prospective employees using Skype, particularly for telecommuting jobs with Internet companies. I have not heard of sending a video resume yet, but it goes along the same lines. I would guess because of advances in technology and everything being more Internet-oriented, such requests for job seekers will just become more commonplace as time marches on.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I just ran across an ad for a job with a major internet retailer. Here's what it says:

"Oh, and one more thing! Cover letters are cool but do you know what's even cooler?! Show us who you are with a cover letter VIDEO! You will be able to upload one when applying for this position. (Video cover letters are not required but if you wanna do one, we wanna see it!)"

How do you feel about this? I think they are opening themselves up to all sorts of issues here. A 2 dimensional resume evens the playing field. Questions of age, sex, race are not even considered. Of course I'm appalled at the "wanna" instead of "want to" but that's just me being an old fogey grammar nazi!
I actually like the idea and would prefer it.

Honestly, employers have an "image" or "idea" of the type of person they want working for them. I'm black, so if you're a racist or don't want a black person for this particular position regardless of qualifications or looks, then I'd rather you disqualify me early on, so as not to waste my time.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
I have heard of live video interviews with prospective employees using Skype, particularly for telecommuting jobs with Internet companies. I have not heard of sending a video resume yet, but it goes along the same lines. I would guess because of advances in technology and everything being more Internet-oriented, such requests for job seekers will just become more commonplace as time marches on.
I Skyped with a couple of staffing agencies in a city I was thinking of moving to and it was cool. They both couldn't wait to meet me, but then I changed up last minute and decided not to move.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I had mixed feelings about it, but it's kind of a moot point since the job is located in Vegas. I just wondered how people would feel about doing this. If it were a job I was very qualified for and excited about, I might do it, but I look terrible on video! Just for grins I googled video cover letters and there are several examples out there. Interesting to see if this is a trend that takes off.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I do not really like this. But that is my personal preference.

I am far better at putting my thoughts, especially about myself, into writing. Orating something does not come very easy to me and since I have an aversion to photographs/video/etc, this would make me very uncomfortable. I would also think that this is their way of screening people out based upon how they look without trying to seem like this is what they're doing---kind of like when a company says they won't accept applications without a photograph. They can say you don't need to send a video but will they even look at you if you don't?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Well obviously judging from your reactions you are not the candidate they are seeking. Just move on....Apply elsewhere.

Last edited by JanND; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
A few years ago, there was a story mocking a guy who included a video with his resume. Interesting to see a company actually asking for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment