Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
That's why I put it:

"B.Sc."

I put that as well. I think "B.Sc." Looks more elegant then "B.S."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but if I didn't have my degrees I would go into car sales (I'm assuming a degree is not necessary). Specifically Honda. I just bought a Honda and were they busy! Another car salesman I know said Honda is good to work for because during down times high earners down grade to them and during good times lower earners upgrade to them. That's a good point.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 12-20-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
How in the world could we answer your question with the info you gave? My fist thought - get a degree.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 10,954 times
Default re:

???

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How in the world could we answer your question with the info you gave? My fist thought - get a degree.
I'm a pollution control chemist. Part of the problem is that a lot of manufacturing that creates work for me has been offshored to Third World s**tholes where they don't give a damn what they pour in the river.

I hated/hate school and I'd rather be shot in the leg than go back.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I'm a pollution control chemist. Part of the problem is that a lot of manufacturing that creates work for me has been offshored to Third World s**tholes where they don't give a damn what they pour in the river.

Can't you edge your way into enviro-something or other? Water chemistry, drill areas, non-profits, etc. You may have to start from the bottom or moonlighting. My husband was in chemistry and moved to diagnostics. A year and a half into and he's kicking arse.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:

There is a thriving oil and gas industry with fracking. The EPA is constantly coming up with new regulations. Each new regulation creates more jobs for pollution control. Energy companies have to stay in compliance to keep the drills going or get shut down.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Thanks, to all of you, for your helpful advice.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

I laughed at that. I too hated school. Love to learn, and have taken different types of workshops and classes off and on all my life, but after three semesters of trying to go to night school after working all day...well, by 9 p.m. listening to some boring schmoe drone on about The Uniform Commercial Code, I was asleep at my desk.

I will have to deal with this later this year. I'm in a job where I'm surrounded by peers with Master's degrees, and I don't think most of them realize I only went to secretarial school. Worked my way up by taking on responsibilities above my grade and learning on the job. Unfortunately, those days are gone in the US for the most part. I've been at my job for 34 years and can take early retirement this year, but I can't afford to technically retire. I have a horribly long commute, so I'm going to look for other work closer to home once I am eligible to get out of there, but I will have to find something where experience trumps "education".

Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
Those are great questions posed here about applying for jobs without a degree. The silly thing is that the majority of these 'now' degree-required jobs, is that 10 years ago, they did NOT require a degree. But it's used as a way of screening out applicants. As much as we lost tons of industry as the workplace changed in America, with automation and corporations paying people $40.00 a month to do a job overseas, the problem is also that people can apply for anything in an instant. Before if you applied for a job, you looked in a newspaper, or perhaps a job board, mailed off a resume to the ones that looked good. Now, people in Peoria are sending off 100s of resumes to anything, anywhere, and the people who are actually qualified, or live near the job, are lost in the crowd. The degree requirement is really a screening tool for all but the most technical jobs or medical jobs.

The thing that is making me laugh is all the ads for social media coordinators and managers, and they're requiring an advanced degree. It's ridiculous. A degree does not make you good in that area. Saw an ad for a vintage decor sourcer, who goes to vintage markets and gets them to come on board with the company. Again, requires an advanced degree. Would like they like to guess how many of the successful vintage companies are headed by degreed people?

Seriously, it's just a tool to narrow the pile of resumes, like the hideous TALEO and other computer based screening dungeons.. I mean tools for weeding out candidates. The key is trying to get some sort of contact into the companies that you're interested in, so that you can get your resume in there in a more direct way. I do not have a degree, but I have specific experience, and certifications, and have kept current on all technology related to that. I have applied for positions in the past few years that required a degree, and applied anyway. Got interviews quite a few times, but the jobs weren't right for me and I didn't proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment